How did this filter so many people? Yeah, at least 1/2 of it is a generic action film...

How did this filter so many people? Yeah, at least 1/2 of it is a generic action film, which is true for every single movie in the franchise and is the main problem with every movie in the franchise. But it is by far the best and most philosophical movie in the franchise since the first half of the first movie and parts of the second. And the meta-commentary on the franchise, the jabs at the movie industry and Silicon Valley stuck-up-its-own-ass tech culture, are both funny and poignant. Plus, the Neo-Trinity relationship never really worked until this movie. Before, it always felt forced. In this movie, it actually comes alive. I mean, this movie is far from perfect. Half of it is still generic action. But it comes closer than any of the other movies to fleshing out the highly philosophical universe of the first half of the first film and the Animatrix. Good stuff.

Attached: the_matrix_resurrections_hero.jpg (1200x750, 183.54K)

>But it is by far the best and most philosophical movie in the franchise since the first half of the first movie and parts of the second
This is somewhat true and in fact Ressurections is the closest the matrix franchise has come to taking Jean Baudrillard’s criticisms on board. It was literally his idea for the matrix to be an intellectual property that exists inside the matrix as another mechanism control.

That said, it’s still an irredeemably dogshit movie and no amount of philosophising can salvage it from the scrap heap.

Most people are just low IQ, Lana truly exposed that fact.

spbp
it isnt even brilliant technically speaking but its just smart enough to piss off people who deserve to be ridiculed for being homunculi

The whole franchise is marred because they welded generic hero's journey action quip stuff for normies onto vastly more interesting questions about reality - "the splinter in your mind driving you mad", and so on. So really, all the movies are on the scrap heap. The Animatrix had some good exploration of the fundamental mysticism that makes the franchise special. So did parts of the live-action films. But it was always inconsistent. Yet, at least they tried.

>for people who like eating shit

That's ironic coming from Lana.

They tell yo to eat shit in the intro OP but swarm was pretty cool

I was expecting the film to have the same sort of atmosphere as the old films with the green tint but this movie was your typical generic blue and orange tint hollywood film.

Nah, the original is still a first-class example of sci-fi cinema. The philosophical stuff is just window-dressing and ultimately irrelevant to your enjoyment of the film. The sequels might’ve got bogged down in endless exposition about determinism and other pseudo-intellectual waffle, but for the original film it was just the icing on an already delicious cake. It’s a Hollywood blockbuster, not a treatise on metaphysics and epistemology.

We can agree to disagree, but for me at least it's the other way around. The action stuff is just window-dressing and ultimately irrelevant to my enjoyment of the film. If the first Matrix hadn't had some interesting stuff about the splinter in the mind and so on, all the great action scenes would not have made it memorable for me all these years later.

The in-world explanation (presumably) is that this is a heavily updated version of the matrix, and so the colour palette and contrast is very different to the oppressive blue-green tones of the original. But you aren’t wrong, it does look significantly worse.

Well, at least they made the Matrix look like a place full of people again. Reloaded and Revolutions made it seem empty, just a setting for action scenes.

Fair enough. I think the fact that the film got so much wrong when it came to reinterpreting Baudrillard’s Simulacra and Simulation that I find it hard treat it like a serious work of philosophy, and I’m a /lit/izen who would usually love that kind of shit. But I’m not gonna diminish the things you appreciate in the film because it’s all really enjoyable either way. It’s just a shame the sequels could never live up to the original.

looked like cheap lazy trash, don't care how meta it is.

I see no reason to think that it was trying to be an interpretation of Simulacra and Simulation. If I recall correctly, the book was shown in one scene, but that doesn't imply that the movie was based on it. In any case, I think that the stuff that actually works philosophically in the franchise works for reasons that need no text to explain. The core of the idea is that something feels fake about reality as you understand it and that one wants to break through to some more real-feeing layer. For what it's worth, yeah I agree that it's a shame that the franchise never quite lived up to these ideas. Even the first movie didn't. Almost the entire second half of the first movie is generic action.

imagine defending a 2h 28m train wreck of a movie
it lacked soul and it felt forgettable.
the cast could have been better. The new Smith was horrible
The plot killed the previous movies. Neo was the One, but now They/Them are the One.
Its woke shit

the matrix was a genuinely great film that was completely rooted in and defining of the pop culture of the time.

that film took three shits that are bloated, up their own ass wastes of time that are completely removed from what was good about the original.

>meta-commentary on the franchise
That's why I didn't care for it. Constant fourth-wall break broke my immersion, the cheesy flashbacks to the previous movies, the 'meta-commentary' made it feel like a College Humor skit. It's like the movie was trying to be clever and just came off puke-inducingly pretentious

The book itself, yes, but also the “desert of the real” line is a direct quote from Baudrillard. Even the term “matrix” is one he’s used throughout his writings. I’m not saying it’s a direct translation of his ideas, but if you’re going to reference them at least do it right.

>The core of the idea is that something feels fake about reality as you understand it and that one wants to break through to some more real-feeing layer.
Which is arguably the complete opposite of what Baudrillard meant by the “hyperreal”, in that it is a fiction which is more real than reality itself. That’s why my first post suggested that Resurrections was the closest to Baudrillard’s ideas, since the idea of the matrix being a mechanism of control inside the matrix suggests that the matrix itself has this “more real than real” quality, if you see what I mean. But the other films kind of miss that point completely

>Almost the entire second half of the first movie is generic action
I would hardly call it generic when it essentially defined Hollywood’s approach to violence for an entire generation of filmmakers. It only seems generic now because so many other action films have taken inspiration from it, imo.

who cares how clever or complex it is if it just sucks to watch. robot civil war? ironman bird? retard shit

>Neo-Trinity relationship never really worked until this movie
It's the best and most believable part of the trilogy

>robot civil war? ironman bird?
Neither of those is any dumber than a bunch of stuff that was in the first movie, which was full of quips ands silly CGI robots. So I mean I get it if you just don't like the franchise, but if you like the first movie then I don't know why that stuff would put you off.

>who cares how clever or complex it is if it just sucks to watch
B-b-but the meta commentary! It's clever so it must be entertaining!