My Muslim...

My Muslim, Asian friend told me that the reason I don't like this movie is because I'm a white European and cannot relate to it.
Do we need to be able to personally relate to media in order to truly appreciate it?

Attached: p_encanto_homeent_22359_4892ae1c.jpg (540x810, 232.88K)

idk higher ideals are usually universal across cultures like justice, compassion etc. maybe except for some modern-day tribes.
I'm asian and never lived in the west but I'm deeply moved by the films of John Boorman

>Muslim, Asian friend
why do you have one of those?

Encanto feels like they came up with the scenario and wrote a bunch of songs but had no idea how to tie them into a narrative. They shoestrung some setpieces together. Feels like an Illumination film. It's a weak film held up by catchy ear worm Broadway songs.

I'm Colombian and I didn't enjoy this movie. I think some people place too much emphasis on relating to every aspect of a story or characters.

Songs were catchy but the story is lame. The “villain” is “generational trauma” which is just how modern generations have justified their shitty lives and attitudes by blaming it all on grandma

Yes, which is why I couldn’t relate to Bambi or bugs bunny or Tom and jerry…

Your friend sounds like a cunt. I hope you told her off for not so subtly implying that you are a racist.
People can relate to movies about a sentient toaster. If the creators of a movie can only make the characters relatable to people who share everything in common with the characters, they did a shitty job.

By that logic you'd need to be an ugly 15 year old with no talents and have siblings and extended family that surpass you in every aspect from looks, strength to wit.

>I'm asian
cringe
>never lived in the west
based

>Do we need to be able to personally relate to media in order to truly appreciate it?
Considering how hard non-white main characters in western cartoons make Any Forums seethe I guess so.

so white's can't relate to the concept of family and an overachieving parent with high expectations? is that why you don't have that many school shootings over there?

>family
brown family. its not a real family

And yet every white person enjoyed Mulan, Aladdin, the emperors new groove.

The fact is that making movies about nothing with no sense of adventure is fucking boring
Also there’s a difference between making a movie in an exotic setting because it is interesting and allows the opportunity for a different story and different aesthetics which add value to how entertaining the work of fiction is vs making a movie a particular way simply because you want to be woke and progressive and add “representation “ . The latter inevitably ends up being lame and gay because the latter is a totally different goal from making a good , entertaining movie while the former is done in service of the overall goal of making a good , entertaining movie, so the latter usually detracts .

It's a weird fucking movie because it seems mostly targeted at rich prestigious families. The moral was that the grandma was wrong for forcing her family to behave a certain way and make sacrifices in order to keep the family strong and the village respecting them. Instead, the family should just "follow le dreams" and not be kept out of the spotlight if they can't match up with what the family expects of them.
Which is weird because the only people I know that applies to this are people from a prestigious family name. Unless this is something wide spread through South America which I doubt.

jesus how old are you fags? all day whining about shows a 5 year old would be forced to watch

UGLY

It's a metaphor about family expectations in households who has successful children. I'm not sure if this is an asian thing but every other asian family likes to hang things like medals of their children's achievements outside the house. Even as meaningless as academics. They want to celebrate it and I think ther's nothing wronog with that but the problem with the old lady in the movie is that she hides the ones who are struggling or shuns them away because they're difficult.

My biggest complaint was that eveyone had stupid derp faces.
Why not make you cast and especially main character look good? I can't relate to a bunch of charcters that look like they are developmentally challenged (retards.)

Attached: 1647797747104.png (527x607, 821.59K)

isabella was basically brown elsa

>He doesn't enjoy watching Disney flicks
faggot

shhhh we're supposed to argue with bots over dumb shit we dont learn things here