What happened to Late Night Shows?

What happened to Late Night Shows?

Attached: gettyimages-82683859_master.jpg (3000x2183, 701.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cob5t_0G_8I
youtu.be/RolEI5n4Jxs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jon Stewart ruined them and every show after he ended his run just copied him making politics the big selling point of the show.

Podcasts and YouTube commentary

him and maher started the trend of pseudo-intellectuals who want to push their political agenda and sound smart more than actually interview people and talk about news in a comedic manner

Jon Stewart and Bill Maher are the best ones tho?

They went from making fun of people with stupid opinions, to having stupid opinions.
Yes, Trump said a lot of retarded shit that should have gotten him laughed at, but does AOC.
Comedy works best when everyone gets a little bit of shit. When you look one sided it limits your audience.
>Jimmy Kimmel thinks he is an expert on healthcare
>Stewart thinks he is an expert on veteran/VA funding
>Colbert just became "DAE le democrat" guy

Attached: opinion.jpg (400x400, 54.07K)

Carson called it that using a comedy show to push politics would ruin the format.
youtu.be/cob5t_0G_8I

Attached: tv_carson1a.jpg (2000x1334, 2.44M)

even if that's true it doesn't forgive the fact that colbert and seth meyers exist

OBAMA

they became absolute kino but filtered millions of chuds in the process
a win-win if you ask me

the format is a relic. no new fresh talent invigorated it. it has failed in the current marketplace of ideas.

all the best versions of this style of show post 2000 are ironic/self referential deconstructions of the format. Craig Ferguson, Conan, Eric Andre. But when everything is a deconstruction, and there is no new construction, you have a dying genre of show.

The postirony was not a reflection of the current state of late night, it was the epitaph. the world moved on from things that could be contained in such a small studio.

Its a lot easier to crack a joke than it is to tell people what they don't want to hear.

They got way too political. I can watch old Carsons and Lettermans and get a good chuckle. And they were comfy. Now it's so fucking sterile and the guests are just giving canned responses to canned questions and saying "go see my movie".

There was a vacuum after Stewart left and no one was up to snuff to replace him. It clearly leaned more to the left but shit on both sides pretty consistently, now it’s all completely one sided in one political side or the other

post an example of this kino

"Everything woke turns to shit."

are you a chud? it will filter you if you are. i don’t mean to ask in a mean way, either. i just don’t wanna waste my time. it’s OK if you’re a chud i won’t be mad idc

>all this reddit speak
kys retard

yeah. its going to be my turn soon. your going to clip my dirty wings, because your too afraid to let me loose without a couple of strings attached.

Nobody watches cable any more

Attached: 534B2000-A8E7-486E-9BE1-FD9C519B1CDA.jpg (857x643, 113.64K)

They would if there was something worth watching (and that something worth watching would be snatched up by some streaming service very quickly)

Apparently Greg Gutfeld is the King now

nope, now hand over the kino.

Attached: 7.jpg (10x10, 682)

The NBC executives told Leno he couldnt tell Obama jokes like he did with Bush and he told the executives to go fuck themselves and thats why there was that weird transitional thing between him and Conan Obrian because Leno sued NBC over his contract.

This is how Jimmy Fallon got his start in "the biz"

so how are we going to do this? how can we make it as painful as possible? I've already exhausted any possibility of anyone knowing or caring who I really am. I'm surrounded by idiots and sycophants who do nothing but work on their impressions of me 24/7, they can quote my best lines verbatim long after I'm gone.

Its got to be some sort of frame up, right? Something that attacks me personally, is completely fabricated, but people will believe because they WANT to believe it.

So what is it then? Thousands of self-righteous hippocrites jeering at me through the lens of their self-colored hatred?

I am too ridiculous to be believed, but too clever to be ignored.

Ok, you asked for it
youtu.be/RolEI5n4Jxs

Interesting stance. Over the course of the Trump years I started out loving Late Night Shows and by the end I didn’t watch any of them. Say what you want about Trump but all of the late night shows including SNL told the same jokes for 4 years straight and I realized what garbage writers they were.

Just make up some tranny shit.
I'm sure that will stick.
Some clever photoshop, photorealistic, tasteful enough to incur mockery but not offensive enough to make you complicit in it.

Literally not his fault that his underlings failed to develop their own style outside of ripping him off badly. Sometimes I wonder if Jon doesn't cringe with embarrassment at what a corporate dick sucking shill Colbert became. Him squirming around and seething when stewart came on his show recently saying maybe the Wuhan bat virus really did come from a wuhan bat virus lab and he basically callin him out for being a compromised journalist.

Oliver still does decent journalism with comedy from time to time I suppose but Colbert has gone off the deep end.

Attached: 1634189373750.jpg (743x768, 71.83K)

this is right out of your ass. the leno-conan feud was VERY public and Leno's reasons for his actions have been the subject of multiple books and a shitload of news reporting. He was just an asshurt insecure old dude that got pushed out by marketing, NBC was eating out of the palm of Leno's hand not trying to strongarm his comedy.

how pathetic are you that you're making up claims about celebrities to affirm your own worldview? very fragile behaviour

>late night is comedy + celebrity interviews
>comedy is dead
>celebrities are both increasingly irrelevant while also being constantly on social media meaning the value of seeing them in an interview is almost nil

Yet 70 years ago they gave kids in grade school guns and cigarettes and nary a school shooter in sight.

really jogs the noggin.

Didn't this guy get cancelled for defending midget roid man for questioning the science gods and their most holy of vaccines?

>how pathetic are you that you're making up claims about celebrities to affirm your own worldview? very fragile behaviour

I'm more just throwing darts at a wall and seeing what sticks. I know when I've struck a nerve and confession does wonders for the soul.

I find it hilarious no one ever mentions Samantha Bea when talking about this. She's completely irrelevant.

the ciggys calmed them down
now remove the ciggys
they shoot up the school
basic fucking logic man

This. I unironically preferred Kilborn.

That womans a train wreck.
She looks like she's on meth.

>food analogy

And now he is doing a shitty syndicated game show.

late night died when Johnny retired

Attached: johnnycarson_.jpg (800x448, 112.25K)

Its my favorite cheap shot to take at Jhon.
He knows its not true.

Nope. When Conan retired.

What happened to him? He just left.

Despite you confidence, you're wrong.

>that quote

Attached: 215.jpg (505x490, 32.34K)

The guy in charge of NBC at that time is the same one who just resigned from heading CNN for the past 6 years, really gets the noggin joggin.

this
streaming killed it
some art formats really do die

He left to do the talkshow after David Letterman I believe and then Kilborn got replaced by Craig Fergison.

No I am not. I am right! Conan was the last great one and actually funnier than Carson.