Criterion Collection

Why do people autistically collect Criterion? What makes them so special compared to the other people relesing blu-rays?

Attached: f61d18332f2bfc4573e329fe072bb0f9.jpg (391x291, 8K)

It's a prestige brand name.
You show them off to other people who collect criterions, to show them how cultured you are.

They're basically funko pops for movie nerds

Because some people like older, acclaimed movies that Criterion releases. Not just Criterion but it has the biggest choice.

At this point it is the product of successful marketing and business. They are good for what they are make no mistake. That said Shout Factory, Arrow Video, Vinegar Syndrome, etc also exist.

They know how to market themselves as a premium brand, and in all fairness they do put out a good product most of the time. That being said, not every movie they sell is kino. If they have something I want, then I’ll buy it. I wouldn’t ever try to hoard movies just because Criterion slapped its logo on them.

I don't have brand loyalty, just yesterday I got Ingmar Bergman's Cinema by Criterion and the BFI's Werner Herzog collection. Also fuck Shout Factory for not making their Werner Herzog collection region free

Thinking about Criterion makes me depressed

>What makes them so special compared to the other people relesing blu-rays?
Unironically the boxes they use are better than the shitty translucent blue ones used for mainstream releases.

pretty sure their extras are usually better than most.

Decent extras, usually
Nice packaging
If I'm looking to buy a movie I really like, that's pretty much enough to get me to shell out an extra $10 or $20.
Why?

Buying a Criterion release to watch an older, acclaimed movie isn't really the same thing buying a Criterion release because it's a Criterion release. The latter being the behavior of one who "autistically collects Criterion".

I'm a Criterionfag. I like special editions. Their choices are very frustrating though.

this. every Criterion I own is a movie I saw beforehand or from a director whose work I really admire

t. owns 200+ Criterions

Alright, real talk, I literally never heard of criterion until I got a Hulu sub (from my ex) several years ago and saw all the criterion stuff on there. What the hell is it? As far as I could infer, it's a curated collection that *maybe* they like to clean up before releasing? I dunno. But then I checked the price of their physical media. Ho Lee Shietttt. What gives? Why pay that much?

it's just a home video label that got the rights to a bunch of old, mostly foreign, classics, and made their name through great looking A/V presentation and tons of supplements (which aren't cheap and go some of the way to explain the high MSRP, especially considering the discs won't move as much as a domestic classic or blockbuster)

the prestige is all marketing, and desu they've been resting on their laurels for at least the last few years now. regardless, still one of the best dvd companies around

Marketing.

If a movie I like gets a Criterion release I will buy it because they are good at what they do, but I don't get people who buy Criterion releases of movies they don't actually have any interest in for the sake of collecting.

>especially considering the discs won't move as much as a domestic classic or blockbuster
case in point, although no official numbers have been released by Criterion, apparently it's gone around that their all-time best seller is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which is, frankly, insane

>But then I checked the price of their physical media. Ho Lee Shietttt. What gives? Why pay that much?
They often go on sale for 50%, (hopefully) nobody pays full price for them

They do restorations bro.
Also they publish a lot of old foreign(to the US) films that can't be found anywhere else.

I can't exactly go to Target and pick up a copy of Hiroshima Mon Amour.

>They often go on sale for 50%
and you can get most titles for ~40% off the rest of the year on Amazon, Diabolik, Deep Discount, etc.

Amazon always has them for about $20.

it's because it's not really a Criterion release, it was a normal mass-produced DVD/bluray but whichever production company struck up a deal with them so they could use the license and give it the Criterion prestige

-They spend a ridiculous amount of time and money restoring old films.
-Their packaging is really good and comes with heaps of bonus stuff, not just printed works but extra contents on the discs, or entire extra discs
-Their commentaries are really good
-It terms of foreign films, their subtitles are a LOT better than others. Not only are they more accurate but they're far easier to read as well. That's extremely rare in the translation world.

One of these is from the MGM 25th Anniversary edition, and the other one is Criterion. Guess which one is which.

Attached: 1584579969483.png (1920x2160, 2.83M)

Imma say the bottom is the 25th anniversary edition