Why is it so hard to make lovecraftian horror? The closest thing we got to It was Bloodborne but nothing in tv/movies

Why is it so hard to make lovecraftian horror? The closest thing we got to It was Bloodborne but nothing in tv/movies.

Attached: 571A66C6-D5F4-4E6E-A2D7-C28D220E5AE1.jpg (512x628, 66.75K)

I don't find Lovecraft all that horrifying. Fish dude with an octopus head? Saw that in "Pirates of the Caribbean" and didn't go insane.

Bloodbourne mirrors his career from Gothic horror to the Cosmic.

How would you even film something like this?

> last years in peace. I cannot sleep at night now, and have to take opiates when it thunders. The thing came abruptly and unannounced; a daemon, rat-like scurrying from pits remote and unimaginable, a hellish panting and stifled grunting, and then from that opening beneath the chimney a burst of multitudinous and leprous life—a loathsome night-spawned flood of organic corruption more devastatingly hideous than the blackest conjurations of mortal madness and morbidity. Seething, stewing, surging, bubbling like serpents’ slime it rolled up and out of that yawning hole, spreading like a septic contagion and streaming from the cellar at every point of egress—streaming out to scatter through the accursed midnight forests and strew fear, madness, and death.

Attached: 1489679087483.jpg (736x1099, 149.01K)

translating prose that relies on the reader's imagination into a visual medium like film just doesn't work.

IDK, but that dark hair, pale skin, bangs, and grey eyes combo is doing things to me.

Because Lovecraft's horror was very much an aspect of his time, the horror of being utterly and completely unimportant in the universe.

because it relies on the imagination of the reader too much. the perfect 'lovecraftian kino' would be a movie where you sit in a pitch black theatre with nothing playing on the screen and you listen to an old man's voice reading you a scary story.

>Doesn't contribute to making the game
>Gets any credit at all

gosh i wonder why there's no game "lovecraftian" shit

Mouth of Madness is really good and captures it the best I’ve seen in a movie format imo. There was an indie horror film from a few years back called the Void that, while you can tell it’s low budget, is a pretty solid homage given what they have to work with.

I think you could make a really cool film off of the concept for Dagon as well as any of the ones dealing with the northeastern cults like in the older video games

The Lovecraftian premise(s) are quite filmable-- Beach House being a recent example. Likewise several of his stories- Dagon was filmed, Rats in the Walls could be easily made into a movie.
It's more stuff such as At the Mountains of Madness that requires a scale that's daunting.

cronenberg could do it.

>85IQ

I don't know if it's "lovecraftian" but there's definitely some good cosmic horror kino.

My personal favorites of the subgenre are "Resolution" and its sequel, "The Endless"

In the mouth of madness was eldritch-lite, but still a good film.

>Nah dude, execution don't mean anything
>It's all the dead guy and his vague word that gets interpret to imaginary pictures.

Bloodborne is only surface level Lovecraft, literally on the level of Skyrim and Fallout.
Check out Mouth of Madness or Occult 2009 if you want lovecraftian films.

That's probably the best way to go. A lot of Lovecraft wouldn't translate well to screen, so just take a few elements, some homages, and do what you can.

Fuck Lovecraft, where's my Ligotti adaptation?

Attached: 124424.jpg (317x450, 17.21K)

Watch In the Mouth of Madness. Now.

Without Lovecraft there wouldn't be a Bloodborne.

>use of adjectives to describe the narrators feelings instead of actually describing said objects
It's much easier to write about someone going insane rather than visually depicting the impossible geometry or biology that supposed drives men insane

Oh-ho! Majestic! A hunter is a hunter, even in a dream...

Yeah. I saw The Colour Out Of Space with Nic Cage and it was trash, any attempt to do a “faithful” recreation of lovecraft just isn’t going to work. How the hell are supposed to represent visually horrors that are beyond our comprehension? Even more basic, how are you supposed to visually present a colour that no human has ever seen before?

>Why is it so hard to make lovecraftian horror?
Reanimator was terrific, you faggot.

The Empty Man is a really good attempt made recently.

I would also recommend Maléfique

>Stares at you with contempt

Attached: 1566116789394.jpg (2048x2048, 654.31K)

>how are you supposed to visually present a colour that no human has ever seen before?

I always thought the idea of doing a movie entirely in black and white outside of the 'color' would have sold the idea well.