Why are so many soibois obsessed with Criterion?

Why are so many soibois obsessed with Criterion?

Attached: 2mEVBFsaPpECTc6HPG1pqQEOIsLecl_original.png (1600x900, 811K)

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances where it appeals both to genuine intellectuals and to the pseuds who want to emulate them.

>where it appeals both to genuine intellectuals
I don't know any "genuine intellectuals" who care about Criterion. They just take some good films, give it Tumblr-tier artwork and then charge $40 for it. They used to restore some films but nowadays they mostly just churn out Wes Anderson shit.

Based YIFY Chad

you sound like a pseud

You sound like youre behind the curve. I got over Criterion before I turned 16.

It's part of the psued starter pack.

>Tumblr-tier artwork
Their artwork is usually great.
>and then charge $40 for it
You realize how much extra content they include, right?
>They used to restore some films
They still do frequently. And unlike some other wannabe arthouse publishers they actually work closely with the directors on those restorations.
>nowadays they mostly just churn out Wes Anderson shit
If they have any problem right now, it's not with quirkcore. It's their desperation to include women and minorities after getting called out for not including anything because they had previously only judged films by their own merit.

>those reprints of typically hard to find blue rays, in 4k with bonus features? yeah, that shit is cringe
you sound 16

>unlike some other wannabe arthouse publishers they actually work closely with the directors on those restorations.
Pseud babble. Criterion is notorious for fucking up restorations because they know sois go ape when they hear marketing lines like "we consulted with the original x" Most of the time it isn't even the director but assistant lighting technician who's 90 years old and tells them "ahhh yes I remember 70 years ago, there was supposed to be a green tint on the film" and it ruins it.
>It's their desperation to include women and minorities
Incel

Name two great films that they restored in the last 3 years.

Criterion has quality stuff in their releases, and are absolutely worth buying if you enjoy the movie and want to get all the bonus features.
The problem is they have a 'collector culture' angle that appeals to onions-fags (i.e. Funko pops, Collectible action figures, retro video games, etc.) - to these people, it's all about some sense of hoarding or 'completing muh collegtion'

get a load of this fucking faggot pseud
criterion restores and publishes some of the better foreign films ever made that would have otherwise been lost, too shitty to watch or simply lost to time
they do good work
it's babby's first arthouse for most peopl which is great but the midwits can't stand their little secret club being brought to a wider audience
basically you're an ugly talentless faggot

>Name two great films that they restored in the last 3 years
uncut gems and memories of murder

>uncut gems

Attached: 1646801291892.jpg (768x960, 170.88K)

They have more sales than Arrow so I buy more of their movies.

They don't find any lost films. Maybe one or two. They republish Kiarostami and Rossellini and other huge names. The guys who would've been published anyway by Arrow or Janus or whatever. They used to show those kinds of films on PBS until Criterion outbid everyone by making them into funkopop collectibles.

Not restorations and not great, thanks for proving my point

oh so we're trolling here

>MUST. CONSOOM.
criterion is the funko pops of films, akin to folio society

Attached: cringe.png (738x812, 704.76K)

It started off with good intentions, the first 74 releases were more or less films that deserved inclusion. Then they put in that shitty Kevin Smith flick Chasing Amy. Things returned to normal for a bit, and #100 for some fucking reason is a collection of Beastie Boys music videos. Sabotage was kino, but it doesn't mean it should be included in a collection that's supposed to espouse the very best of cinema as an artform.

From there more and more cracks began to form as the collection bloated to accomodate hundreds, and then thousands of films, including many which had not yet stood the test of time. As good as it was, a film like The Rock is high casual cinema and not on the same level as something by John Woo, for instance. It definitely should not have received a CC release before something like Fellini's 8 1/2. Starting from #167, CC became an outlet to jerk off certain directors the arbitrators liked, with many short flicks that no-one has ever heard of incorporated simply because it was made by the same director as a blockbuster/critical masterpiece.

By the time you get to #597, a short film made by none other than Queen Slampig LENA DUNHAM, the CC is nothing more than pseudointellectual garbage. Now we've got stuff like Parasite and Menace II Society in the collection, films which never would had a hope in hell of being included, likely because all the people behind the first 50 or so inclusions are long since retired/dead.

I know the Criterion collection of Robocop is one of the only places to find the X-Rated version of the film... for a really long time it was anyways.

I don't know a single person who keeps any Criterion movies or Folio Society books. You simply sound like a faggot

My father in law has a bunch of folio society books. I think the appeal is collection.