Remember when seasons used to have 24 episodes per season? Wtf happened?

Remember when seasons used to have 24 episodes per season? Wtf happened?

Attached: lolwut.jpg (2400x1800, 237.39K)

Aren't garbage network shows 24 seasons still? Good shows have shorter seasons because they their episodes take longer to make and write, and the actors usually have other projects.

It's easy to churn out shit. Look at soap operas, they make a new episode everyday.

Writers strike.

Actors are lazy and don't want to work for a living so they work like 40% of the year and get paid more than they used to for the privilege.

>Good shows have shorter seasons because they their episodes take longer to make and write
So every show with short seasons is good? Every show with long seasons is bad?
>Ayo, remember that 3-moth strike from 10 years ago?
Two fucking retards over here.

I don't want to argue with you about my intelligence. Sure I'm retarded. But if you look up when it was that every single show went from 25 ish episodes per season to 12 ish episodes per season, it was the year of the writers strike.

Mostly due to the streaming binge model in my opinion. People will spend a day watching 10 hour long episodes. Or even slightly more 24min ones. But people don't want to binge 24 episodes in a day. It's more viable for entities like Netflix to just churn out lots of different shows with a few episodes/seasons each vs. a few shows with lots of episodes/seasons.

>20+ episodes per season shows still exist.
>streaming networks came online and they use the shorter season format
You're a Netflix cuck. The rest of tv is the same as it was

Network TV does, in fact, still exist.

>episodes take longer to make and write
Doubt.

episodes also used to last 20 to 30 minutes, if up to 40 to 45 minutes the season would only had 12 at most

Hour long shows aren't a new thing lol

True but hour long shows where the whole season comes out in one day vs. one a week for six months are.

they correctly realised that was a stupid system

Then really you're talking about streaming services. More specifically Netflix. See and

Why though? The arguments I always hear have to do with things like less filler, tighter seasons, and things like that. But that's a sham because we still get the same ratio of bad episodes; they're just even more tragic because each bad episode represents twice or more the fraction of the season.

And as far as what it's done to the actual story telling, in a lot of cases it's coincided with heavy serialization which can be good sometimes, but we've seen way too many shows now where a whole season is what should have just been a single episode. They just stretch the shit out of it and call it a season.

We've lost the variety in storytelling that came from bigger seasons that could breathe and experiment and sometimes just give us something fun. No time for that now, everything feels simultaneously stretched out and claustrophobic. Very little of this stuff will be as rewatchable as older tv, and certainly won't live in the cultural memory as strongly.

Attached: 1630779556240.jpg (669x549, 57.2K)

Different user here. People will try to say it's better writing and higher quality when many times it's the opposite. Someone takes a paper thin story, probably some tossed away movie script and stretches it into a full season. Once they have an audience drooling for a second season they fire the 'good' writers and hand it off to some even cheaper writers because they know the monthly subscribers already paid in advance and many will watch it regardless. And their system records 2 minutes of play time as a 'watch' even if someone turns it off right after. Which then reflects well on their books for investors for them to keep getting money.

I hate this. modern tv series are nothing but drawn out movie plots. its just 6-8 hours of 4 or 5 story lines most of which dont interact with each other
everything gets setup in the first episode, and everything gets resolved in the last episode.
i hate this format

Inflation.

What is TNG, 24, xfiles etc etc...

The god damn writers strike.

I don’t want to look up how CSI Vegas did ratings wise because I’m sure it was horrible but my cock moved in ways it hadn’t since the last time I heard a bad pun and Who Are You one night a week on CBS. Death to Netflix.