Is it really deserving of the top rated movie ever on IMDB?

Is it really deserving of the top rated movie ever on IMDB?

Attached: 51zUbui+gbL._SY445_.jpg (312x445, 31.04K)

Got something that can contest the spot?

Pretty much. It's a great, accessible film that deals with a lot of good themes.

Godfather II is objectively better

Don't give a shit about IMDB, but it's a solid movie.

True prison quinoa here

Attached: 71A5HTdUUlL._SY445_.jpg (304x445, 25.91K)

godfather 1 and 2 are not even the best mafia flicks and you want them to compete with something as great as shawshank redemption?

its the perfect bait movie for these kinds of lists, but its still very good on its own

It's good, but not Top 100 good.

It's a great film but I don't know if it deserves top. I would put Godfather at number one. Also kind of personal one but I wouldn't mind Good Will hunting too

It got the highest score on average from users and critics, so yes.

definitely. The lack of women in it is a great factor

Its not that its the best movie ever, but its the best movie ever to also equally appeal to normies

this movie is unironically bland as fuck and every single movie on IMDB in the 6's, 7s and 8s is better

What is so good about the Shawshank Redemption? It's Green Book tier trash compared to Godfather.

pic rel

Attached: td.jpg (1500x2216, 756.69K)

I think besides the fairly simple but effective plot it also came at a time when the internet was hitting mainstream status with every average joe on his windows 95 machine starting to browse it, with IMDb being one of the bigger sites back then. IIRC it's one of the most rented VHS non Disney movies ever, Shawshank is at the top of the 250 list because of word of mouth owing and the availability of VHS and cheap PCs with internet access plus Gen X loved really loved those kind of films

It's a very good film but the thing that makes it the top rated is just how broad the appeal is. It won't find itself as many peoples favorite film but it very easily sneaks into most peoples top 10.

No

Yes, it's a perfect film

if it's in your top 10 you barely watch movies, it wouldn't even make my top 200

what's your top 10 then

Hence why I said it sneaks into most peoples, not that it's in mine. Most people aren't as autistic about films as Any Forums is.

Marvel 11-21

Lawrence, Ben Hur, Fitzcarraldo, Apocalypse Now, Barry Lyndon, Godfather II are all better

There's a fucking Batman movie in the top three. Compared to that Shawshank is certainly the best movie ever made.

Attached: Unamused Cat.png (333x333, 129.55K)

Fellowship of the Ring