Is this flick worth watching?

Is this flick worth watching?

Attached: image (1).jpg (789x1080, 218.5K)

It's better than Escape from New York

Fuck Jay!

Yes.

Yes and remember that Kurt Russell actually made all the basketball shots for real

yeah, it's just not as good as New York

That I did not know. Just watched it a few months ago and assumed that last shot was camera trickery.

Not really.
Imagine watching a slightly different version of Escape from New York except with more zany/silly comedy style. The film is pretty much a remake of the 1st one.

I would say once to scratch it off your Carpenter list, but in no way is it a good flick worth rewatching. It's cringe straight thru.

Attached: 1626576691773.jpg (906x577, 89.11K)

I get this idea that this is what John Carpenter has in mind when he made Escape to New York. Its more on the nose that it’s a satire. Personally I think it’s underrated. The only thing that sucks about it is that Van Cleft isn’t in the movie and the cgi has aged poorly.

I think it was supposed to be a parody of the '90s style of sequel where they basically make a scene for scene substitution of the original movie, like Terminator or Ghostbusters

I still need to watch Escape from NY one of these days. For some reason the random surfer dude who was chill enough to offer a board to him and then just go on about his merry way still sticks out as a beautiful scene to me. Especially since he was a little older than what kid me was used to at the time.

Escape from New York is.

Escape from LA has a kino ending but that's about it. It needlessly replicates most of the plot points and scenes from the original so it ends up just being an inferior version of the original.

Attached: Escape from New York Adrienne Barbeau.jpg (969x1200, 380.35K)

S: Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing, They Live
A: Halloween, Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China
B: The Fog, Christine, Starman, Prince of Darkness
C: In the Mouth of Madness, Vampires
D: Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Village of the Damned, Escape from L.A., The Ward
F: Ghosts of Mars

I don't get why you have Assault on Precinct 13 that high. I liked it but its B tier to me.

For me, it's perfectly balanced. There's the right amount of characterization for the actors to deal with and a simple/straightforward plot that's paced well. There's not much to think about with it but for what it is that's just fine. There's no fat on it--just a well-made/well-shot grindhouse style movie.

Personally, I liked it more than The Thing. It's my favorite Carpenter movie and he's one of my favorite film makers.

>Prince of Darkness is literally just Assault on Precinct 13 but with supernatural villians
>2 grades lower
explain

It's just a worse and sillier version of the first excellent movie

>scratch it off your Carpenter list

Just like my good friends at RLM did in their recent video.

Don't listen to anyone in this thread, it's actually full-blown garbage.

Entirely different premise (the only similarity is being bottled). The science/religion stuff is neat but the depth just isn't there to justify it--The Thing is closer in spirit to Prince of Darkness than is Assault on Precinct 13 and that movie paid much better homage to the Lovecraftian horror from which Carpenter takes his inspiration.

I still really like Prince of Darkness but its on the same level as something like The Fog. It has a few great sequences and the story is interesting...but in the case of Prince of Darkness things are a little muddled and one of the things I like best about his films is that they're simple and straightforward.

the muddled bit makes it feel like a dream within a dream. its esoteric nature is what makes it truly unnerving. the anticipation of being killed as a hostage by criminals is simple and straightforward and the anticipation of being possessed and converted to a hellspawn is something very much it own thing. PoD left more of an impression on me as I only saw OG Assault about a decade after the remake was in theaters.

They're almost imcomparable movies, but yes Escape from LA is an underappreciated shlock fest.