In Cinematography a dying art?

In Cinematography a dying art?

Attached: IMG_2767.jpg (1080x1306, 96.16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=22838POttQQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You know there is a vast world out there all full of movies that isnt made in Hollywood?

Kind of sad how the "best up and coming cinematographer" has been just doing capeshit and Star Wars. Give him a proper drama to be DP on and we'll see what's so great about him.

>camera facing back of character with stuff happening in the distance
>this is what is considered top tier camera work

what the fuck

Didn't realize back of character against an expanse is all cinematography has to offer.

All of Greig Fraser's movies are underexposed.

anyone got that wojack and pepe looking over the night city on a hill image?

Killing them Softly and Foxcatcher, both shot beautifully.
He has a great style

Roger Deakins, David Tattersall, Bill Pope, Robert Richardson and John Toll are the objectively best cinematographers out there right now.

>camera behind character while they stare at a green screen
>also dark and desaturated colors
Whoa....

this is literally just a default video game 3rd person view

This is what we call dishonest cinematography.

What exactly is so good about these? Also Mandalorian didn't look that great or anything to me, or Dune, or Rogue One.

I'd like to say yes but then again this board doesn't even know what constitute as cinematography either.

I had a pic comparing The Batman photography to old Fincher by making the shots black and white and the lack of contract due to digital shit was so awful but I can't find it.

>John Toll
Maybe when he worked with Terry two decades ago, since then he's been yet another irredeemable digital garbage man and ruined the trannies style.

Attached: 1620432214374.webm (940x400, 2.99M)

Vittorio Storaro is the single greatest cinematographer on record

Forgot pic.

Also the cove light is a meme

Attached: CD23C3AB-D52D-40F6-9D02-B17BC46A319E.png (800x400, 334.42K)

I'm convinced that MCU has tanked the bar for visual filmmaking for any movies associated with a major franchise. The latest MCU scene raved about was the post-Aunt May death scene in NWH, reminiscent of some BR2049 stuff, but it illustrates the issue: people only see cinematography when it's set up as spectacle because the MCU barely leaves room for the negative space that allows films to breathe.

It's the filmmaking equivalent to how they always have to irreverently quip something even if it's explicitly dissonant with the gravitas/drama of a situation. The above is virtually setup to abate the fear that the audience is too stupid for the quiet moments in film and need some spectacle as anchor to reorient them if there's not a CGI explosion or shitty quip every 10 minutes. I think the reaction to Eternals can be partly read in this way, weak ensemble character writing aside.

>WAAAAHHH THIS ISN'T TARANTINO WAAAAHH

Toll wasn't cinematographer for Matrix 4. He had to drop out due to Covid.

Watching the 4K version of No Way Home made me realise how shoddy the CGI is. You realise action scenes are just Frankenstein shit with underpaid VFX artist not even talking to each other about the assets they’re creating and compositing. The best CGI is subtle like 2049.

They look good, he's one of the chief architects of the digital set technology becoming increasingly popular, and his hybrid digital/film technique he's started using is also good

>Give him a proper drama
how can you be such a pretentious faggot?

4k also really busts the idea that CGI of people has gotten good

Well, he’s a man.

YOU NEED THE LATEST 4K TV GOY
how else will you see all the cg textures and wrinkles on actors???? Can you really consider it a movie if youre not seeing the aliasing of 3D models and the pores on actors skin??

It's the same garbage look at Sense8 and Larry said in interviews their new I don't care about storyboard, camera and lighting improv style was due to Toll's influence because he wants to "capture accidents" instead of crafting perfect details. Compare to their work with Pope and it's night and day.

Attached: 1626145643432.webm (1000x540, 2.28M)

Unironically kino.

Attached: 1db.jpg (1920x1080, 955.32K)

modern cinematographers couldn't replicate shots this kino in a million years and this is just from a 80s popcorn action flick
youtube.com/watch?v=22838POttQQ

You're confused and have mixed up the comments made by Matrix 4's replacement cinematographer, a guy who had served as their camera operator on Sense8

>“Resurrections,” the fourth “Matrix” movie and the first in almost 20 years, represents the latest step in Wachowski’s evolution toward a more improvisational approach to filmmaking, an evolution in which Daniele Massaccesi played a key role. “I did a few days on ‘Speed Racer,’ and then ‘Cloud Atlas,’ which was probably the first time Lana and Lilly shot on location,” recalled Massaccesi in an interview with IndieWire. “They were a bit concerned about the lack of control, but eventually realized that they liked the quality of natural light and the ability to capture moments that were unique. They also realized that you have to grab the happy accidents as they occur — you have to be ready to take advantage of the moment when something looks great.”

Killing Them Softly is a massive standout though. Like it's actually good shot composition.