What's up with this trend? Do you miss episodic shows?

What's up with this trend? Do you miss episodic shows?

Attached: mow.png (583x353, 162.35K)

>Do you miss episodic shows?

No... I don't miss them because the last show I watched (Raised by Wolves) comes out once a week. I actually hate the whole season at once bullshit but the zoomers seem to love it.

i’m not liking your tweet, whore

i agree with this tweet and i hate the streaming era for this very reason. Abrams killed film narrative with LOST. i wish i could go back in time and kill him and all his loser buddies.

Topher is a man's name

I hate that everything has to have a lore, it can't just exist.
>remember darth vader's glove? Well it was made out of X, which came from planet Y and the engineer Z made that during the year BB90

women love having something held over them and chads love convincing betas that they should be satisfied by the creative scraps too. The dynamics are shaping up to be a crazy convoluted class structure masquerading as none.

There are no men on twitter

I want my show to have connective tissue. Episodic shows tend to be inconsistent

Different medium, different needs. In /tv people would watch the show by chance, in the middle of a season, so the episodes were stand alone. Now they want keep people marathoning, so every episode ends with a cliffhanger for the next one.

Consider this a “like” on YALL tweet

I’ll assume TV moved to this format for the same reason comic books did : writers are lazy and it’s easier to stretch out one idea for years instead of coming up with something new every episode

Use proper English you stupid zoomer monkey.

>No... I don't miss them because the last show I watched (Raised by Wolves) comes out once a week.
I don't think you understand what episodic means. It doesn't have anything to do with the release schedule, it has to do with whether episodes are standalone or directly tie into an overarching narrative. The most episodic show would be something like Seinfeld where every episode exists in a vacuum and can be enjoyed in any order, the least episodic (aka most serialized) show would be the ones where every episode ends in a cliffhanger and begins with picking up the previous cliffhanger.

>Surf Dracula

Fund it.

but the characters in lost were always lost, in some manner of speaking.

Yeah, but nobody ever gave a shit about actually explaining why they were lost.

That's absolute bullshit. What a fucking retard

bullshit. the coolest episodes of surf dracula were the ones that alluded to or dealt with the larger story of surf dracula. it is perfectly possible for an episodic series to have a overarching storyline.

oh, so you're saying lost wasn't akshually about the characters?

That's just Doctor Who though.

Admittedly the story structure for Doctor Who is pretty good for series use.

I miss shows that are good and fun to watch. 20 years ago people, both viewers and creators, understood the limitations of the medium. Viewers knew that when they turned on the TV to watch something they'd get something pretty good that was in line with the last time they watched it. Nobody took it too seriously, but on occasion creators added some extra depth to an episode to add emotional impact or cultural relevance or whatever.

Now, everything needs to be a pretentious clusterfuck of 500 characters, none of whom are likeable, each with their own backstory, none of which is interesting. Not to mention there needs to be an equal balance of every colour of actor, regardless of how they work together.

I wish it was the '90s again bros

I wouldn't watch a tv show called surf dracula then or now.

we're definitely not talking about doctor who made after 2005.

why do you hate fun

This

It used to be a pretty normal way of making TV shows. Shows like Buffy did it very well.

lol what a fucking retard

it sounds gay as fuck and even as a kid their were a ton of cartoons I wouldn't watch because the concepts looked stupid.

>i only liked mature realistic cartoons made for mature realistic people such as myself

This applies for like two of the 200 shows that come out every month.

pretty much, anything with talking animals was shit.

I like shows like Burn Notice where there's an overarching story that takes up the first and last episodes of the season, but the middle episodes are more self contained

>watch Severance every week
>entire episodes go by where nothing happens
>stick with it anyways but know the ratings have to be plummeting
Raised by Wolves season 1 (haven't seen s2 yet) wasn't much better, actually. This format only works when your show is as good as The Sopranos.

Serialized plots make sense for streaming because you can start from the beginning whenever you want.

They still make episodic tv for network shows because people tune in at random times. One time I saw my mom watching some season 4 episode of Lost and she never saw a single episode before. She said it was confusing

Most people think that serialized shows are inherently, objectively superior to episodic shows. they view any episode that doesn't directly tie into a big over-arching plot as "pointless filler." You ever seen Star Trek or X-Files watch guides? They literally tell people to just skip like 60% of all the episodes because of that. People don't want TV shows any more, they just want super long movies.

I have been watching Better Call Saul since day 1 and sometimes I wonder just how little lawyer stuff he has done over five seasons. It's all just been an extremely long backstory as to how he became a crooked lawyer.

shows like law and order, ncis, bluebloods, all good stuff to just turn on and watch with your grandpa

Kek

This is why I unironically enjoy anime filler most of the time

Attached: Capsulecorprobot.jpg (1916x1012, 91.67K)

I’m actually surprised Lost did so well on network tv. Same with stuff like BSG and TWD. Do normies just tune in and have no idea what’s going on?

ah, i see you are a fan of the highly mature and realistic series known as avatar: the last airbender.

They don't really make many episodic shows anymore. The decent ones I can remember ended a good while ago, like Legend of the Seeker and iZombie.

>Do you miss episodic shows?
No, their format quickly becomes repetive and thus boring.

But the problem with a lot of serialized shows is that they have a premise that they like, but the story clearly doesn't have any meat to be interesting for say 10 episodes, and is just dragged out with filler shit.