This kills the ESL

this kills the ESL

Attached: 1653347636606.png (796x504, 60.03K)

Other urls found in this thread:

voca.ro/1aDsqn87jBTV
lel.ed.ac.uk/research/gsound/Eng/Database/Phonetics/Englishes/Indexes/IndexPageLanguages.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hm.... let's see...

Attached: Brazilian_Portuguese_vowel_chart.svg.png (631x480, 21.24K)

So much of that is wrong

the nasal variants are the same vowels, just nasalized. those don't count as separate phonemes.

Copium

What's wrong about it?

Should bot have the same o as boy?

voca.ro/1aDsqn87jBTV

are you retarded?

pretty good but half of them are subtly off in a way I can't really explain

Sorry, meant to say shouldn’t
Not sure how you pronounce it in yankland but we pronounce both the same

Dialectal differences. Americans pronounce bot as [bɑt] (same as the a in far), the Scots pronounce it as [bɔt] (same as the ou in bought), you probably pronounce it as [bɒt]

>bait
>/e/
What the fuck is this shit?

oh nvm I see what you meant
Yes, I am retarded

Implying I use English in other way than writing

Unless there is a minimal pair between [e] and [eJ] (i.e. there exists a pair of words where the only difference is [e] or [eJ]), then there's no practical difference between analysing it as /eJ/ or /e/.

some linguists claim /eJ/ is actually a single vowel. IDK why but I see it transcribed that way pretty often.

>Boat
>/o/
Is it though?
It's close to ō, but at least Wiktionary seems to suggest that it's either /bəʊt/ or /boʊt/.

Refer to . In some dialects, /eJ/ and /oʊ/ are pronounced as monophthongs [e] and [o].

This stuns and confuses the EFL and the anglofied ESL.

Attached: 2646546.jpg (377x276, 23.07K)

Which dialects?
Do you have any audio recordings of it being pronounced as /e/?
Nah it's more like it makes absolutely no sense to just drop an integral part of the vowel
It's one fucking letter, if that confuses you you shouldn't be looking at IPA transcriptions
Fucking cunts

Not a problem for us.

>Do you have any audio recordings of it being pronounced as /e/?
lel.ed.ac.uk/research/gsound/Eng/Database/Phonetics/Englishes/Indexes/IndexPageLanguages.htm
Scottish, Irish, and northern English dialects all pronounce it as monophthongs. Possibly some American dialects too but I've not checked all of them.
>it's more like it makes absolutely no sense to just drop an integral part of the vowel
Is it integral? Are you as likely to notice if someone had said [bet] rather than [beJt] than if someone had said [bad] instead of [bɛd]?

I HATE ENGLISH
>I HATE ENGLISH
I HATE ENGLISH
>I HATE ENGLISH
I HATE ENGLISH