How would you define his style?

How would you define his style?

Attached: 840_560.jpg (840x560, 71.36K)

Practical, unpretentious, monochrome

Raped my expectations, and my ass.

Senility.

>Just let the cinematographer direct the movie

Attached: Alien Cinematography.jpg (1022x1758, 196.41K)

Cares more about production design than writing or acting

Possibly senile at this point

Semi-flacid, yet satisfying. Exceptional old man foreplay and lots of money. Better than Any Forums

I literally don’t even know and I’ve seen so fucking many of his films. He has zero defining character in his directing style and at this stage I’m not sure he even was the driving force behind what made his films good. He may as well be a BBC David Attenborough documentary director

senile boomer hack

He gets too much shit on Any Forums. As I wrote before:
>Ridley's an excellent director but not a writer and does make questionable decisions in this area. I think original BR mogs the ever living shit out of 2049 and Ridley's directing was excellent but I still think it was stupid to shove in the mystery box nonsense about Deckard potentially being a replicant, and Harrison Ford, David Peoples (who's influence on 2049 was sorely missed), etc. agree. He's also a mercenary, in the sense that the studio hires him to DIRECT films they want made, not some arsty fartsy auteur. I find more often than not people that shit on Ridley as a bad DIRECTOR talk out of their ass and don't fully understand how good he is when he stays in his lane.

im not reading all that shit but I disagree with it anyway
fuck your opinion whatever it is

He used to be so great ;_;

Attached: The Duellists.webm (704x400, 2.75M)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 52.21K)

That's one thing Ridley is good at, visuals. It's what makes the likes of Black Rain watchable.

Nowadays? soulless.

Long lenses, lots of zooms, high contrast ratio, smoke everywhere, multicameras, cool lights, likes to play with color temperature, very knowledgeable with the classics of art, likes to make references to romantic and academicist 19th century paintings, two takes max, doesnt care about the rhythm of a scene at all

Throwing an insufferable blue filter over all of his historical films like he's directing an episode of Ozark

When I found out that he got his start making commercials his style made a lot more sense. He knows the full bag of smoke and mirrors tricks to make visually pleasing movies. He's not an artistic director which means that his movies are only as good as his scripts and cast.

I think the commercials ended up sucking ridley Scott's personal artistic vein

He's eclectic, incredibly inconsistent, has more misses than hits but he's never been afraid to swing big which I appreciate
Also one of the great visual masters of cinema, a truly rare talent in that regard
If I had to narrow it down to one stylistic element he consistently creates shots where humans are small and struggling set against a massive landscape that threatens to overwhelm them, and he draws the focus in smaller around them to show them achieving some sort of victory, even if the win is very small or just a means of achieving equilibrium with their outsized surroundings

Nolan for white people

>look how I respect women

Attached: Capture.jpg (712x142, 18.59K)

I heard that he got Stanley Kubricks entire crew from 2001 when shooting Alien and would ask them What would Stanley do?
How would Stanley light this
etc etc
I suppose if your gonna steal, steal from the best.

His age has really been showing the last 10-15 years, it got worse after his brother an heroed. His work isn't really any better or worse than it used to be, the zeitgeist has just drifted away from him. If he made Robin Hood when he made Gladiator and vice versa, everyone would praise Robin Hood and shit on Gladiator.
Writers are the only artists capable of producing their best and most relevant work after 60, and even then it's only rare talents like McCarthy that pull it off.