International kino battle royale

What country has made the best kino? Go through different countries, choose the greatest movie from there and then choose what country has the best kino. My examples:
Australia: Mad Max II
Brazil: Tropa de Elite
Canada: Incendies
China: An Elephant Sitting Still
Denmark: Druk
Finland: Drifting Clouds
France: Army of Shadows
Germany: Aguirre
Great Britain: Trainspotting
Ireland: In Brugges
Japan: Woman in the Dunes
Sweden: Seventh Seal
USA: Master & Commander
And for me the winner is........Japan. Woman in the Dunes is a great movie and it hits me hard because I too would choose to leave society behind.

Attached: kinoplex.jpg (1600x1033, 935.18K)

Bump

>USA: Master & Commander

>Ireland: In Brugges

I highlight these two because your country definitions make no sense

Peter Weir is an aussie true, but the movie was US production.
But this genuinely surprised me because I somehow thought it was Irish. Maybe because of Collin Farrell. Brainfart. Well it is better than Trainspotting so feel free to put it in the Great Britain column!

Are there other problematic countries? Feel free to correct me! But most of all, I'm dying to hear what are your kinos!

Top countries
>Russia (Andrei Tarkovsky)
>Britain (David Lean, Kubrick produced there, Hitchcock is British and started there in the 20’s, Ridley Scott, good contemporary stuff too from Anderson etc.)
>Germany (Expressionist era, Werner Herzog, Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
>Japan (Kobayashi, Kurosawa, Studio Ghibli, and a lot of good films since like Cure and films from Koreda like Nobody Knows)
>Italy (Filini, Visconti, Bertoluci)
>America (Casavettes, Linklater, Lynch, Carpenter, Coen Brothers, Coppola, and many more)
>France (Goddard, Melville, Truffaut, Renoir, Resnais, Cocteau)

Those 7 make the best films. There are a lot of honourable mentions though like Taiwan, South Korea, Turkey, Iran, Chile, Hungary, and Poland.

I’ve seen 2200 films and like international film a lot.

Forgot Hong-Kong (John Woo, Shaw Brothers Studio, and Wong Kar Wai) and technically Sweden because of Ingmar Bergman and older films like The Phantom Carriage.

Sorry didn't read

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 6.76K)

What's the best Hong Kong film? I'm going to go with In the Mood for Love.

Lastly, I would also agree with OP and say Japan makes the best films. Combined Kobayashi and Kurosawa made the greatest films of all time: The Human Condition Trilogy, Kagemusha, Sword of Doom, Harakiri, Seven Samurai, Ran, Red Beard, Ikiru, Kwaidan.
I also completely forgot about Ozu.

Also forgot Rohmer in France who is also one of my personal favourites. France probably comes second of third but unfortunately hasn’t made many good films in the 21st century.

I like martial arts films a lot so I’d say Dragon Inn. But I also like Woo a lot too so I’d also say maybe The Killer. From Wong Kar Wai I’d say Fallen Angels but I haven’t rewatched a lot of his stuff since I was younger.

Probably Mad Max for Australia if you are using studio financing as a definition. I think you need to define the requirements for a movie to be of a certain count ry.

And Robert Bresson from France!
All of this countries have many master filmmakers. International culture is great :)

if you think üç dev adam (three giant men) isn't the best movie ever made, then you are retarded

Attached: Üç-Dev-Adam-FikriSinema-4-370x247.jpg (370x247, 32.08K)

I’d say it’s technically country of production origin (so Hitchcock for example would be more American because his major films were produced there even though he’s British).
But then the nationality of the director is also a major factor too.
Australia has some very good films too though like Wage in Fright, Walkabout, and Breaker Morant.

*Wake in Fright. Important to correct that since it’s Australia’s best film (only Mad Max 2 can compete).

>so Hitchcock for example would be more American because his major films were produced there even though he’s British
so in the same vein kubrick is british, he's even buried here?
>I’d say it’s technically country of production origin
But many American films are shot here.

for example hbo's generation kill and chernobyl both were produced and directed by brits and the latter used almost an entirely british cast. but they were both financed with american money. what do they count as?

master and commander, australian director, m ostly british cast and story also british. american money.

these definitions almost seem arbitrary

hard to define really.

Attached: 81FktTFOx8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1074x1500, 160.03K)

I liked the Proposition as one contender for Aussie kino.

can we change our kino to this?

Attached: MV5BNDYwOThlMDAtYWUwMS00MjY5LTliMGUtZWFiYTA5MjYwZDAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY1NTQ0NDg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg (1000x1492, 120.62K)

Hmm maybe Hollywood should be its own category, because in the end, they often are deeply international projects? America can have something like Florida Projects that is made outside of Hollywood apparatus AFAIK. A good movie that.

it's this. i'm calling it, kubrick was british.

Attached: MV5BNmY0MWY2NDctZDdmMi00MjA1LTk0ZTQtZDMyZTQ1NTNlYzVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg (658x1000, 211.57K)