Historical military units from your country

In my country there were several
In the independence war there was a unit named "Parakeet Batallion" that engaged in the campaign against the Portuguese in Bahia
This unit became notorious because a of a woman named Maria Quitéria that fled from her parents farm and joined the battalion disguised as a man. They later found out about her, but accepted her in the battalion

What about your country?

Attached: 20220429_201718.jpg (574x913, 90.33K)

>notorious
Say famous. Notorious is usually bad.

Really? Didn't know that

The rough riders are the only regiment I could name. Famous for killing a bunch of Cubans and Teddy Roosevelt.

Attached: OIP.jpg (474x324, 47.98K)

Yeah. When certain rappers call themselves notorious it's a street cred thing.

My bad then, in Portuguese "notório" is synonymous to well known, while "infame" would be equivalent to the English meaning of notorious.
Anyway, Quiteria was accepted into the battalion and actually got promoted and decorated by the emperor himself. After the war was over the battalion was formally incorporated into the Imperial Army and Quiteria retired.

Attached: 106411997_2561485714181630_9099600174675813137_n.jpg (512x629, 55.73K)

Formation of the commandos in WW2 was pretty famous. The first group of elite soldiers to target a dock by ramming a ship filled with explosives into it. Something like 7 VCs were awarded that night, more than any other group action in military history.

I'll take this as another opportunity to shill for the Papua infantry battalion they severed in the Pacific theatre of ww2

The battalion was Initially made up of former Papuan police men and had white officers and nco from the local Australian population but as the war dragged on their ranks grew to include new Guineans who escaped from Japanese occupation

They severed in every campaign of the new Guinean front expect for the milne bay and Dutch new Guinea campaigns

Pic related is the new Guinea infantry battalion a unit made up of Papuan infantry veterans

Attached: Soldiers_from_the_1st_New_Guinea_Infantry_Battalion_on_board_the_transport_Frances_Peat_in_November_1944.jpg (639x466, 161.38K)

palmetto guard

Attached: pm 78657.jpg (1163x1600, 289.71K)

82nd and 101st Airborne still today iconic

funny looking hat

RARE

What kind of weapons did they use?
The Brazilian division that took part in WW2 was part of the American 5th Army and used American weapons

Attached: 20210713_111513.jpg (736x830, 105.87K)

Louisiana tigers also my personal favorite uniform

Attached: osprey-e-062-plate-d.jpg (989x1308, 1.3M)

If I'm not mistaken, the name parakeet is exactly because of their hats

Shows what difference a few memoirs make. There were British and Canadian partrooper units that did everything alongside the 101st and nobody remembers them

Mostly Australian or British weapons they had the Lee Enfield as their main rifle just like any colony in the British commonwealth also Initially use the American Thomson SMG but it was vary expansive and jammed a lot so it was replaced by the Australian Owen (pic related) and Austen submachine gun and they used the BREN as their light machine gun

Attached: 1_2Qsvr1xe3-w-GdjwWrjrbw.jpg (960x710, 137.51K)

During the Paraguayan War some slaves joined the army. They weren't allowed to join the regular units so a black-only zouave unit was formed called "Zuavos Baianos" as most of the blacks were from the state of Bahia, the unit was quickly disbanded though

Attached: brasil-guerra-paraguai-zuavo-bahia.jpg (400x602, 174.6K)

Infamous is definitely a more strongly negative word in English than notorious, but he's right. I'm not sure why it acquired the negative connotation in English.

These are the 36th Sikhs. They fought at Saragarhi, a turbocharged version of Thermopylae with the odds being 21 to 10,000. Notice the ring in their bigass turbans, those are Chakras ie. pure edge circular steel throwing blades.

Other than that I guess the Gurkhas collectively.

Attached: images - 2022-05-20T102129.862.jpg (680x451, 39.06K)

These guys look fuckin kino.

british gurkhas are still among the most respected in the military. fight just as hard if not harder than the days of colonialism