/lang/ - Language Learning General

Arawakan edition

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Any Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

[UPDATED] Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages:
Older version:mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A
Newer version:mega.nz/folder/INlRkAQC#CthKI9-_kmDNyrOx12Ojbw

Lots of books on linguistics of various kinds, as well as language courses:
mega.nz/#F!Ad8DkLoI!jj_mdUDX_ay-8D9l3-DbnQ

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua(embed)

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
web.archive.org/web/20200316222401/https://yuki.la/t/796928

List of trackers for most language learning packs:
files.catbox.moe/nmrn8x.txt

Ukrainianon's list of commercial courses from rutracker.org:
pastebin.com/3EWMhSPN(embed)

Russianon's list of comprehensible input resources:
docs.google.com/document/d/1wXd0V32TjCFsr1-F_en_lA4MI-i7JtyYf26cWLtPRec

Pastebin that archives challenges:
pastebin.com/u/jopiepoliste/1/dMvKSQMw?sort=-name

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
Yes lol
>What is the most useful language?
Wayuu
>What language should I learn?
Garifuna

Old thread:
Old challenges:

Attached: Arawakan languages.png (1024x1024, 136.73K)

New challenge: Colombia edition.

>Easy
My friend is from Colombia.
How many people live in Bogota?
Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Panama were once one country.

>Medium
Colombia is more populous than Argentina, but the latter has a much more successful national football team.
Many English speakers misspell Colombia with a "u," in part because the US has a famous university called Columbia.
They say that Colombian women are the most beautiful in the world, but, while the country undeniably has some beauties, there are surely ugly Colombians too.

>Hard
While most of the Spaniards who settled Latin America came from Andalusia and the Canary Islands, the Paisa region of Colombia was largely settled by Basques, who contributed to that region's unique accent.
The Colombian film "Embrace of the Serpent," which depicts an indigenous man in the Amazon who attempts to lead two different white foreigners to a rare plant with miraculous medicinal properties, is one of the few films from South America that I've seen.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, a guerrilla group, demobalized in 2016 following a peace deal with the government; this deal was narrowly rejected by voters in a referendum (although bad storms may have depressed turnout in the generally pro-peace Caribbean coastal region), but the government and the FARC went ahead with a revised deal.

Attached: Colombia.png (1319x1799, 77.57K)

Can't believe I misspelled "demobilize."

What's the easiest language to learn over the Internet? (Best quality of resources, etc).
Why 99% of language resources are inadequate and incomplete? It's crazy how languages with 300 million speakers all have mediocre courses.
Why don't they make a complete 700 hour course that teaches a language from A1 all the way to C2?

french user, are you still here
is it bad to also use only ne when making a negation?
>J’ignore pourquoi il ne peut rester près de moi
user français, es-tu ici encore ?
c'est mauvais à utiliser juste « ne » quand on fait la négation aussi ?
>J’ignore pourquoi il ne peut rester près de moi
well, no doubt about it, we are after all part of the globohomo sphere of influence

私の友達はコロムビアからだ。
ボゴタの住むひとはなんの人数か?
コロムビアとベネズエラとエクアドルとパナマはかつてにひとつの国だった。

>Why don't they make a complete 700 hour course that teaches a language from A1 all the way to C2?
You don't need courses and studying materials past b2

C'est très littéraire et vieilli, mais techniquement correct

intéressant

Attached: 1527964864179.jpg (655x527, 36.32K)

Can someone please help me remember this word? It is a word for a type of politician. It means something like he doesn't really have a political philosophy and instead is more practical and just does what is best depending on the situation or something like that. I learned the word recently and now I forgot it.

Pragmatist, maybe?

I am downloading something called French in Action torrent. Is it good? /fr/ anons recommended it to me

No that's not the word I'm trying to remember. Thanks for trying though. This has been driving me fucking crazy all day

>>Easy
>My friend is from Colombia.
Mon ami est de Colombie
>How many people live in Bogota?
Conbien de gens habite Bogotá?
>Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Panama were once one country.
Colombie, Venezuela, Équateur et le Panama étaient une seul pays

Never used it, only Pimsleur, which I really liked :)

>Try subs
I downloaded all russian subtitles from opensubtitles and none of them were synced to the audio (the intervals between the subs is the issue, not the delay)

Because 99% of resources were made for schools and for "traditional" learning in classes.
Even though it doesn't work. Do you know anyone who made a rapid progress from classes?

The way to go if you want to start,but don't know a single word in a language:
>Pick up some textbook, download some available pdfs and skim through them and choose the one that explains it the clearest in your opinion
>Download a vocabulary frequency Anki deck, top 1k/2k/5k words in the language and learn new 20 words a day and review
>Focus on the above (textbook + anki) for about a month, and in the meantime start looking for some YouTube channels/blogs/imageboards/meme websites/interesting shit in your TL and put it in your bookmarks/subscribtions etc.
>After you have some basic vocab and basic grammar, start immersing yourself in TL media and try reading some easy books and watching some movies with subtitles in your TL. Of course you're not going to understand much at first, but you have to give food to your brain. You can read what happens in a movie/book beforehand and then just give the media your full atention, you don't have to pause every line and look up all words, just try to understand what's going on in real time and treat it like a silent movie and have the language "in the background" as an additional clue
>After enough such attempts you will start getting better and better and will slowly start understanding full sentences in real time, maybe not the entire movie/book yet, but it will only be getting better
>At this point you should start writing with native speakers, maybe find someone on italki or interpals, or just shitpost in a foreign general on Any Forums
>At that point you should also have already enough of the TL in your daily life, that immersion sources should be readily available alongside English sources. For example your YouTube algorithm should recommend you videos in your TL by now

marah

Attached: comment_17cbhh1bX7TKqWAXh8jTySgKoLeEIMPa.jpg (1488x1984, 1.15M)

ok im gonna try french pimsleur but where to pirate it?

it's pretty easy to find it, idk if it's allowed to link magnets here, but just search it on the pirate bay

私の友人はコロンビア出身だ。
ボゴタには何人ぐらい住んでいる?
コロンビア、ベネズエラ、エクアドル、そしてパナマはかつて一つの国だった。
コロンビアはアルゼンチンより人口が多いが後者はより成功したサッカー代表チームを持っている。
多くの英語話者はColumbiaをuと誤記するが、その理由の一つはアメリカ合衆国にColumbiaという有名の大学があるからだ。
コロンビアの女は世界一綺麗と言われるが、間違いなく美人がいるとは言えブスのコロンビア人もいる。

Realpolitiker? Populist?