WW2 Watchlist

I wanted to educate my wife on WW2.
What movies and TV shows could we watch to cover all different areas of the war as accurately as possible?
I'd prefer narratives rather than documentaries (unless they're really good documentaries), and they don't have to be literally true stories, as long as they get the events and general details of the war right.

For example, Saving Private Ryan's Normandy scene is great; Tom Hank's character isn't a real person, but it's a good portrayal of the landing itself; but the rest of that movie wouldn't be good because the premise would never have happened in WW2, and the battles featured are fictional.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached: p08skhkv.jpg (976x549, 58.55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tUeKeN9bXSE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Thin Red Line
>Dunkirk (original not Nolans)
>The Longest Day
>A Bridge Too Far
>The World at War docs (actually old enough to interview people in the war)
>Apocalypse docs (WW1 also)

Thanks, man, I didn't know there was an earlier Dunkirk movie.
I was considering using Nolan's, but it sucks that a third of the story is based on pretending that French soldiers weren't allowed to evacuate.
Its good to know there's a better option.

youtu.be/tUeKeN9bXSE

Attached: MV5BZTgyM2VjM2QtMzc4NC00NWMyLThlMGMtMGRjNTNhOTVmODFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcyODY2NDQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX750_.jpg (750x585, 113.35K)

The Captain (apparently there is also a version in color)
Das Boot, of course
Generation War
Hacksaw Ridge, because it's 90% a chick flick and 10% pure action.

Triumph Of The Will
Europa The Last Battle
The Greatest Story Never Told

Attached: man enjoying anime.jpg (1000x1001, 274.05K)

Damn, I actually forgot about Das Boot! Can't believe I missed such an obvious one

for a comprehensive chronological viewing of the Pacific Theatre
>The Wind Rises
>Tora! Tora! Tora!
>They Were Expendable
>The Bridge over the River Kwai
>Midway
>Thin Red Line
>Fires On the Plain
>Flags of our Fathers
>Letters from Iwo Jima
>Barefoot Gen
>The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On

"Come and See" 1985
Ivan's Childhood
Hacksaw Ridge
The Pianist

Attached: the essex rifles boys.jpg (728x409, 80.8K)

haha ur funny u should get a podcast or smthn

the world at war is the best documentary series, it was made in 1973 so a lot of the important commanders were still alive and gave interviews. Even beyond that though it's an excellent series that examines the war from many different perspectives, can't recommend it strongly enough.

adding to this list
>twelve o'clock high - about a commander who takes over a troubled strategic bomber unit and attempts to get things working better. Very unusual war film because it's actually more about management than the fighting, which only comes in at the end in quite spectacular fashion
>downfall - movie about Hitler in the final days of the war, the performance of the lead is fantastic
>escape from sobibor - holocaust movie about a group of Jews who have been recruited to help operate and maintain a death camp. Ultimately they start a futile prison riot which destroys the camp, but they don't make it out.
(you can watch this one on youtube btw)
>king rat - movie about living in a Japanese POW camp where a cunning low ranking soldier thrives as a smuggler and general mobster. It does a really excellent job of showing what the war was like for POWs in the East.
>JoJo Rabbit - was just reminded of it because of your pic. It's not perfect, but it does do some things really well, such as showing how the Gestapo were fully active and murdering people right up until the very last day of the war, which was true. Also the indoctrination of youth is accurate.
Those are a few I enjoyed.

Europa The Last Battle

Inglorious Basterds

Attached: s592.jpg (592x841, 160.87K)

Thank you, that's perfect

he's not totally wrong, you should show both sides of the conflict
in chronological order:
>Triumph of the Will
>Schindlers List
>Saving Private Ryan
>The Captain
>Flags of our Fathers
>Letters from Iwo Jima
>grave of the fireflies
In between each movie you would of course be showing speeches from Adolf and race/crime statistics from the US today.
She will draw her own conclusions and probably jump into a wheat field and begin to dance right then and there.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but Hitler was not a white supremacist. He was a German supremacist. He started a war that killed tens of millions of white people, because he viewed them as inferiors. He literally considered slavs to be "subhuman".

Nice. There's not enough Eastern front content in the world.

propagandacore

if anything he was an Aryan supremacist, the Germans were as close as possible to that, barring the Scandis of course.
Also, was he really wrong about the Russians?
From what I gather, now more than ever people are wishing the eternal Anglo and his mutt handler hadn't meddled with Hitlers obsession with the east.

>He literally considered slavs to be "subhuman"
this bullshit again...

>both sides of the conflict

Plenty of German media does that. They're not happy with being occupied but own up to the facts of the Nazis crimes against humanity. There's not really a "side" to take on that.

no I don't think that, the Russians were brutal imperialists but Hitler was on a completely other level. He was a mad dog that had to be put down, and the deplorable state of Russia's current leadership doesn't change that.

Also, you know, the whole genocidal madman thing. The less of those in the world the better.

That's cool. I hadn't really thought about JoJo Ravit as being historically accurate, but there aren't many movies that show how the German youth at the time was educated to, ultimately, lead them to accept the holocaust.

t. assblasted mutt/Slav who actually believes that Hitler would have considered him an ubermensch too lmao

He says it quite openly in his book, and that Germany will turn Russia into an imperial possession where the few Russians that still live are just backwards peasants who do the cooking and cleaning for their betters. If you idolize the guy so much don't tell me haven't actually read it.

Judgment at Nurimberg

>The Cranes are Flying
>Ballad of a Soldier
>Fate of a Man
>The Ascent
there are some goodies