Recently rewatched Napoleon Dynamite and it holds up really well imo...

Recently rewatched Napoleon Dynamite and it holds up really well imo. Super strong nostalgic 00s vibes and the message about recapturing lost youth in Uncle Rico and Kip while Napoleon is actually living that youth in the moment is something you appreciate more as you get older. Not laugh out loud funny but did make me smile a lot.

Thoughts?

Attached: ND.jpg (960x1440, 324.75K)

Reddit loves it too

I feel like ND was pre meme culture and certainly got popular way before Reddit was any kind of a major force.

One of the reasons I rewatched it is because people only associate it with the memes, the pedro shirt, the dance, but the movie's a lot more complex than just that.

It's a shit film more akin to some high school drama production. It's incredibly cringe

You would know.

>we Mormons are so nice
>this is how we bully autistic teens
>isn't that nice?

Kip wasn't trying to recapture his youth, tho. He was trying unsuccessfully to enter adulthood.

I rewatched it in 2011 after loving it when it first came out and it was fucking terrible.

Even the uncle was less about recapturing youth than it was about his former glory days and how he feels he blew his chance for glory.
Had his big shot came when he was 30, he'd be fantasizing about going back to 30 and doing things differently.

I want to bash his fucking skull in. I've never hated a character in a movie more than this fuck.

Yeah for sure, I suppose the narrative with his uncle is more about how his youth is in the past and the only way forward is to move on.

Reddit also like drinking water and breathing air. You should pretend those things are gay and stop doing them too

How can you be this close to understanding something and still get filtered this hard

I agree with this, but it just presents the same supposition from a different perspective. Failure to lauch, as opposed to Rico who loved and lost

But it wasnt about that, it was about his high school football career

I actually found it very funny that the narrative with Kip is "you can change yourself entirely an adopt a new identify". Obviously he did that because he met someone he cared about and she helped him find a new perspective on life, but it's still kinda funny.

I agree with your point but I'm sure most redditors don't drink water

Reddit is celery stick and water central, they're obsessed with being frugal

I watched it a few months ago and laughed pretty hard, it's jarring how his football uncle reminds me of my dad just sitting there forlorn over the past

Anoher thing about the nostalgic vibe, it does have it but for me it's even more out there. It evokes this really uncanny part of america that I've never been to but know it exists. That people like that actually are real.

Yeah I like that it's very clearly set in a completely out of the way part of the US. It being set in bumfuck Idaho really leads to the sense that these people are genuinely authentically eccentric and weird, as opposed to if it was set in like Portland or San Fran and it would just feel forced.

FOREVER YOUNG I WANNA BE FOREVER YOUNG

My mom loves this movie, but now I wonder if it was just the quirky jokes or the overarching themes about lost youth. I really have to ask.