Why do you hate Saving Private Ryan?

Without mentioning anything about Jews, zogbots, anti-German portrayals or any other Any Forums talking points, explain why you think this movie is terrible?

Attached: Saving Private Ryan.jpg (1000x1471, 148.19K)

I don't

My grandfather said he didn't like it because it starts out as an accurate portrayal of war but slowly turns into a drama.

It was the first movie that I absolutely knew when the next character was going to die. Over time I've realized this sort of foreshadowing is present in a lot of movies and film (70s cop show with an older mentor "days away from retirement"? yeah he's dead!), but it felt so blatant the first time I realized it in Saving Private Ryan, I almost felt insulted at how blatant it was. Specifically referring to the scene in the bombed-out church and the Medic guy talks about how he ignored his mother before being shipped off I knew right then he was gonna get killed in the next combat scene.

I don't think it's a terrible film, the opening scenes, especially for the time, were amazing in their raw depiction of the chaos and terror of war (and yet at the same time, the focus and discipline to move forward). I also liked how it did have scenes displaying both positive and negative reasons for their mission. Settings and scenes were generally nice and was decently acted by a large ensemble cast. Worst bits was it had parts that were shallow to inflate emotions, and that predictory bit ruffled me.

Attached: hax-war.gif (360x240, 943.77K)

the bookends spoil this movie for me. narratively, they make no sense. i don't know what spielberg was trying to convey.

The build up of hearing the tanks approaching during the last battle will always make me feel uneasy.

It's one of the best war movies ever made.

While I really like the first act of the film, I don't really think much of the next two acts, mainly due to Spielberg trying way to hard to make it into a action movie...that especially goes for the final act.
While everyone loves to claim how realistic this movie is and it's true that it's realistic in it's portrayal of the fighting itself, but it's not when it comes to historical accuracy.
By even mid-late 1944 the Germans were scraping from the bottom of the man power barrel and yet Spielberg doesn't showcase that at all.
Take the ending for example, at that point in the war there really shouldn't have been that many German soldiers on the battlefield (apart from the Battle of the Bulge of course) due to the fact that they were an already defeated enemy and yet mass amounts of German infantry are seen left right and center. This is exactly how Spielberg portrays the ending, which is not even remotely historically accurate.

Attached: D-Day.jpg (1024x814, 89.62K)

True

This, it's a great movie

>the bookends spoil this movie for me. narratively, they make no sense. i don't know what spielberg was trying to convey.

Old people are sad, and wear old people clothes.

Attached: giOOMBCk_t.jpg (350x197, 23.89K)

This

>mogged by band of brothers

Because the whole conflict was ultimately pointless.

100:1 Us:german kill ratio

Mogged by another war movie in the same year

Attached: The thin red line.jpg (1000x600, 81.72K)

>we barely get to know some of the characters like Vin Diesel but we're expected to be sad when they die
>the film does it's best to try to establish how great a leader Tom Hanks is but his decisions regularly get his men killed to achieve virtually nothing. (and yes I know "that's the point of the film hurr" but it's still a theme that's forced through an underdeveloped character)
>I don't know why the film seems to imply that Old Matt Damon is remembering all this when he wasn't there for 90% of it, it seems pointless and done only for the 'reveal' that it's not old Tom Hanks
>the opening is completely unconnected to the rest of the film, it should have been a way for us to get to know the whole cast but wastes that opportunity, aside from Tom Hanks' using the mirror none of them are particularly well characterized
>on the other hand the final battle does a good job of showing and developing character, but the action is extremely confusing with unclear stakes
>the film is really bloated, the plot is extremely simple but gets stretched to fill almost three hours, with very little discussion or different perspectives on the themes and dilemmas presented in the story, and very little development for most of the characters along the way

But I like this movie, user.

Not only that but SPR is not even the greatest WW2 Western Front movie anyway

Attached: A Midnight Clear.jpg (500x739, 101.16K)

I like it. Recently watched a bunch of behind the scenes footage. Incredible stuff.

But the guys that got popped on the beachhead trying to surrender even pointed out they weren't actually Germans. So the implication of the Ost Battalions being the primary garrison force was present in that film.
For me, it's When Trumpets Fade.

Attached: When_trumpets_fade.jpg (345x475, 33.73K)