Are the stories true? Was it SOUL?

Are the stories true? Was it SOUL?

Attached: blockbusters.jpg (478x345, 62.01K)

no you fucking zoomer.

Yes

Yeah, the experience was!

You wouldn’t just rent a VHS. You would make a night out of it.

It was achieving NIRVANA

Blockbuster was too clean and corporatey, I always hated it, the wagies were rude too
Small locally owned vhs rental stores, now, that was SOVL

This, the small local store also had really weird shit too.

Yep, renting DVDs and videos was the shit.
Buying cheap movies was the shit.
I still collect DVDs to this day because of my memories.

No. The only benefit of blockbuster is that they guaranteed new releases would be in stock for rental. In every other way mom and pop rental places had more soul.

/independent gang/ checking in

Attached: AB62D826-2285-43B2-878E-127FF759338C.jpg (1062x1080, 128.82K)

It makes zoomers seeth, so you know it was kino

as far as the chain video stores went, Hollywood Video was better

Attached: cfe99bdaf897f3c2ef178adfa9dde374.jpg (731x473, 55.78K)

Plus the 18+ section in the back, especially when the owner was some old dude who didn't care if you were 18+

no.
you only had true sovl with small privately owned video stores and not with corporate shit like that.

why was it better? I didn't have either

Having to put in any effort to go to get a movie to watch was nice in a way especially since it was something you did with family or friends desu

usually had more indie and harder to find movies than Cuckbuster. also BB didnt have any unrated movies or anything below R cuz they were owned by religious fags or some shit like that

/thread

That is was, user. That it was. You just had to be there. Go back.

Attached: AwwFuckYeah.gif (520x293, 2.93M)

Blockbuster was shit. Too sterile and corporate and poor selection.

Hollywood Video, Family Video, and independent store are where the Soul was.

>You wouldn’t just rent a VHS. You would make a night out of it.
damn that's a good marketing line

If you were a kid, sure. But it was more about it being a Friday and there being no school for a while and enjoying that.

zoomers will never know the smell of the carpet cleaner they used hitting you like a solid wall as you walked into the store.

Attached: D234C4AF-EB8F-431A-A97F-687767B2FC73.png (1010x853, 2.21M)

The UK ones weren't that clean/corporate but desu everything had that "Dated" look in my mind because it was the 90s/early 2000s anyway.
>probably winter '98, gameboy in the car with pokemon or something in it
>dark outside, crisp feeling in the air, no worries
>inside the video store, browsing the back of anime VHS's like GITS etc but getting them because kid, picking up some PS1 titles to rent for 4 days and maybe a bag of popcorn if I'm lucky

absolute kino and didn't even know it.

kino wigan chads

Hollywood Video and Family Video had no soul either, but I somewhat agree. The small mom and pop rental stores is where it was at.

Are scene girls back? God I want to go back!

Attached: 1601142109189.png (1280x718, 321.06K)

I had a local video store a block away from my house. 99 cent rentals and Butterfinger BB's. The frozen yogurt shop (which is still there) was right next door. I think I bought their copy of Titan AE in VHS strangely enough when they went out of business. I think we have some of those cardboard things they used to promote movies as well. We went to their last location across town for some time after. I didn't realize at the time that video rental as a whole was dead.

you can still "make a night" of watching a movie, you just don't have Blockbuster as the catalyst anymore.

Blockbuster sucked for movies. Overpriced and bullshit fees. The only thing that was good was the games plan, so I didnt have to worry anymore about buying shit games, or short ones that dont deserve a replay. It actually forced developers to make better games.

The only way to relive this level of SOVL in 2022 is to go to Japan, for real, last time I was there was march 2019 and was my first time alone
>staying in an airbnb in Osaka
>head down to some back-alley streets in the evening
>old style hardware/video shops etc are still here and there can browse dvds/videos/old games
if you close your eyes the 90s is almost there. I don't think any other country in the world can capture that feeling so well, but Japan was so integral to the that era and in many ways they haven't left it.