Do we all agree Arrival (2016) belongs in the decade's top 10 movies and is also the best mainstream / genre piece of...

Do we all agree Arrival (2016) belongs in the decade's top 10 movies and is also the best mainstream / genre piece of cinema produced in the decade?

Agreed, right?

Attached: arrival-4.jpg (1440x960, 108.87K)

Wholeheartedly agree, OP.

Nha, shit sucks

What did the ayys look like in this one?

>white people: the movie
naa

octopus niggas

>le woman talky expert is.. le STRONK

I didn't care much for it.

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

Fuck no.

Its an ok but (no shock) the short story is much better. None of the violence and explosions or bs from the move and what I really really hated was that all the actual linguistics, actually learning the alien language was completely brushed over in the movie in a literal montage. It markets itself as this intellectual movie but they blow past the actual interesting stuff and shove in a bunch of explosions and gun fights,

>learning a language gives time travel powers
>also please watch my movie china
kys retard

nothing that appears in a cinema is worthy of any ranking

it hits different post-covid, I definitely recommend a rewatch, denis is also becoming a big name and this is probably his best work to date, not to mention johann's great soundtrack

>time travel
kys retard

>Dunning-Kruger
The dunning-kruger effect doesn't exist.

>Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.
this sentence is meaningless, how can a movie have a brain? the film itself does not, only the creator and the consumer

Attached: Heptapods.jpg (1180x805, 55.12K)

i dont think you understand if you got "time travel" from the movie

The short story is way better, when you realize how much the movie mangled the original concept it's very disappointing.

>he thinks arrival has time travel
peabrain lmoa

this is why I don't read, after reading stephen king's the shining, which by all means was supposed to be trash tier pulp standing up against one of the greatest directors of all time, I immediately realized that reading would forever ruin movies for me (with the expection of a couple auteurs), and I'm still not ready to make the jump to be a /lit/ nerd

You don't have to be a /lit/ nerd, reading is it's own form of experience. IF you don't really like to take the time, get an audible subscription and listen to the audiobooks, just as good. It's like claiming that No Country for Old Men is somehow a lesser experience because the Coen's changed some content from the book to make it a BETTER MOVIE but that content is what makes the book a better book.

don't worry there's plenty of shit books too.

Disagree, far too many cliched movie pieces attached on to some very creative bits like the language.

This movie was trash

yes absolutely

Not to mention that the time travel bit completely ruins the point of the story, which is that learning the language just causes a shift in perspective: you can see the future but it's fixed and things still have to make sense from the point of view of causality.

>Roastie fools man to knock her up with a baby she knows will die a horrible death in childhood due to a congenital condition
The duality of woman

Attached: 1596592398276.webm (576x1024, 2.39M)

the thing is narratives will 99% of the time be better on book format, simply because the writer has so many more tools at his disposal to play with and entice the imagination, movies only triumph when the audiovisual element really is put forefront like in a tarkovsky film, but most directors can't even make good use of the soundtrack to pull at your emotions, let alone the imagery which is much harder

>shove in a bunch of explosions and gun fights,
exactly one scene, i don't even think theres a gunfight

Learning the language allows you to always be there, in the moment with those you love. She will always love her husband, she will always spend time with her daughter. But it costs her free will.

>Aliens arrive
>They tell you to become globalists.
One bomb wasn't enough.

so in the short story the "time continuum" element of the language is presented more as in improving one's rationality like if you smoke today you'll have ingrained the knowledge that you'll die of lung cancer rather than fooling yourself into thinking otherwise?

Strong disagree. I get the reddit pseud flavour from Interstellar and especially The Martian, but not Arrival. Arrival's strength is the way it's shot and how well the Grand narrative combines with the protagonist's emotional life. It's a surprisingly intimate film with great sci-fi imagery. The big SCIENCE shit at the end is ancillary, and in a way has more elements of magic and fantasy than regular sci-fi. Arrival is based on a short story by some Chinese guy iirc. I really don't get the sense that it's trying to come across as smarter than it is or that it has some facile FUCK YEAH SCIENCE message. It's a solid, and quite beautiful, film.

Well you're right about one thing. Aliens sure as hell aint gonna show up the ghetto.

>and in a way has more elements of magic and fantasy than regular sci-fi
Love those aspects. She is studying the language every day, trying hard to understand it, but she only begins to think like them when she begins having "dreams" in their language. The actual language is well researched, with time and energy put into linguistics appearing real, but in the end its about making leaps of logic, those vital connections in your mind.