I hate how Peter Jackson ruined Denethor. He's such a one-dimensional...

I hate how Peter Jackson ruined Denethor. He's such a one-dimensional, moustache-twirling cartoon villain that every scene with him hurts. Absolutely zero positive qualities.
It's a shame because the actor did a fantastic job. His great performance was ruined by a shitty script.
K, bye

Attached: main-qimg-9087931907c3fbbce43ef860bacdc17f-pjlq.jpg (287x215, 15.13K)

I love how booklets still pretend this.

The change was great. In the books he's just another normal as fuck side character amongst basic normal side characters. And his suicide was retarded.
>hey everyone let's beat sauron
>looks into the orb once
>oh no ships! I better kill myself!

Movie denethor made much more sense as he was stricken with grief, and his arrogance fitted the history of Gondor better as stewards have been ruling for such a long time.
Pretending that after so many generations, the steward would be "oh aragorn good that you're here now!" is absolutely retarded.

Jackson turned him from a shitty plot device into an actual character. Booklets keep seething

Fully agreed.

Holy based

I hope that I have not done ill?’ He looked at his father.

‘Ill?’ cried Denethor, and his eyes flashed suddenly. ‘Why do you ask? The men were under your command. Or do you ask for my judgement on all your deeds? Your bearing is lowly in my presence, yet it is long now since you turned from your own way at my counsel. See, you have spoken skilfully, as ever; but I, have I not seen your eye fixed on Mithrandir, seeking whether you said well or too much? He has long had your heart in his keeping.

‘My son, your father is old but not yet dotard. I can see and hear, as was my wont; and little of what you have half said or left unsaid is now hidden from me. I know the answer to many riddles. Alas, alas for Boromir!’

‘If what I have done displeases you, my father,’ said Faramir quietly, ‘I wish I had known your counsel before the burden of so weighty a judgement was thrust on me.’

‘Would that have availed to change your judgement?’ said Denethor. ‘You would still have done just so, I deem. I know you well. Ever your desire is to appear lordly and generous as a king of old, gracious, gentle. That may well befit one of high race, if he sits in power and peace. But in desperate hours gentleness may be repaid with death.’

‘So be it,’ said Faramir.

‘So be it!’ cried Denethor. ‘But not with your death only, Lord Faramir: with the death also of your father, and of all your people, whom it is your part to protect now that Boromir is gone.’

‘Do you wish then,’ said Faramir, ‘that our places had been exchanged?’

‘Yes, I wish that indeed,’ said Denethor. ‘For Boromir was loyal to me and no wizard’s pupil. He would have remembered his father’s need, and would not have squandered what fortune gave. He would have brought me a mighty gift.’

>A proud and noble man, the blood of Númenor ran truer in him than it had in any man of Gondor for many years. He was described as subtle and often scornful and could perceive the thoughts of men, including those that dwelled far off. It was difficult to deceive him and dangerous to try.
>Denethor was well aware that Sauron's assault on Gondor would come during his lifetime and prepared accordingly, even though he increasingly came to believe that the struggle would be hopeless. In TA 3018 when Sauron attacked Osgiliath, he found the strength and preparedness of Denethor greater than he had expected or feared. Minas Tirith was fully provisioned for a siege and as war loomed Denethor sent away from the city the old, the women and children and had the Warning beacons of Gondor lit, dispatching errand riders with the Red Arrow to Théoden of Rohan to summon aid.
Absolutely contrary to how he acted in the film.

For a moment Faramir’s restraint gave way. ‘I would ask you, my father, to remember why it was that I, not he, was in Ithilien. On one occasion at least your counsel has prevailed, not long ago. It was the Lord of the City that gave the errand to him.’

‘Stir not the bitterness in the cup that I mixed for myself,’ said Denethor. ‘Have I not tasted it now many nights upon my tongue foreboding that worse yet lay in the dregs? As now indeed I find. Would it were not so! Would that this thing had come to me!’

‘Comfort yourself!’ said Gandalf. ‘In no case would Boromir have brought it to you. He is dead, and died well; may he sleep in peace! Yet you deceive yourself. He would have stretched out his hand to this thing, and taking it he would have fallen. He would have kept it for his own, and when he returned you would not have known your son.’

The face of Denethor set hard and cold. ‘You found Boromir less apt to your hand, did you not?’ he said softly. ‘But I who was his father say that he would have brought it to me. You are wise, maybe, Mithrandir, yet with all your subtleties you have not all wisdom. Counsels may be found that are neither the webs of wizards nor the haste of fools. I have in this matter more lore and wisdom than you deem. ‘

‘What then is your wisdom?’ said Gandalf.

‘Enough to perceive that there are two follies to avoid. To use this thing is perilous. At this hour, to send it in the hands of a witless halfling into the land of the Enemy himself, as you have done, and this son of mine, that is madness.’

>oh no ships! I better kill myself!

Attached: smug elf laugh.png (492x388, 225.62K)

Also they ruined this little fucker here, too.
In the books Gimli was wise and intelligent and often made deep, thoughtful remarks on what was happening around them or shared parts of the dwarves' intricate knowledge of Arda. Which was the exact opposite of what elves expected dwarves to be like (which is one of the reasons his friendship with Legolas came to bloom in the first place).
In the films he's the grumpy comic relief character, and nothing more (except for his sorrow after departing Lothlorién, and only in the ED).

Attached: thelordoftherings-1510913087303-4537_d348.1280.jpg (1280x720, 161.77K)

>wise and intelligent
absolutely not. He was written as young and brash. He lost his shit when he was told he would be blindfolded in Lorien. He fell head over heels in love with Galadriel and he whined about having to leave her kingdom. He was as close to comic relief as Tolkien wished to go

Made me hungry for cherry tomatoes.

Attached: 8xumCzP.png (1040x580, 710.91K)

Books:
>“No, you do not understand,” said Gimli. “No dwarf could be unmoved by such loveliness. None of Durin’s race would mine these caves for stones or ore, not if diamonds and gold could be got there. Do you cut down groves of blossoming trees in the springtime for firewood? We would tend these glades of flowering stone, not quarry them. With cautious skill, tap by tap- a small chip of rock and no more, perhaps, in a whole anxious day- so we could work…”
Film:
>Toss me LOL
>That still only counts as one!

that's just the book dialogue vs the movie dialogue in general. You can't really bring Tolkien's archaisms to screen and hope to reach normies AND have a normal runtime.

youre the only one who cares about this character, he was functionally a plot device kept on standby to keep the audience worried about minas tirith, for good reason, and jackson streamlined his character into being only that device

be more worried about how they did his sons who actually mattered in their relation to the plot and the main characters, and how lackluster the actual minas tirith seige, and final charge into the black gates were

this, they really did a number on gimli. gets worse every time I rewatch.

I just can't watch the films anymore, I tried to do a rewatch last week after re-reading the books and I dropped out during the Twin Towers, right around Helm's Deep but I was bored already at that point
The LOTR books are just far superior and rewatching the films is a huge waste of time
I wish I could go back to how I felt as a kid where all of the battle scenes were so cool and I hadn't read the books

lord of the rings is capeshit with elfes

They did much worst to Frodo anyway.
It is just much more of Hollywood and drama compared to moving books about comradery and heroism. Still good but different song.

you can't flesh out every character

>lord of the rings is capeshit with elfes
[x] silly one-liners (sometimes)
[x] le evil big bad threatens the world
[x] action scenes that offer nothing but a visual spectacle
[x] overuse of CGI (which aged poorly)
I guess you're right in a sense, but then
[ ] pozzed cast
[ ] LGBT Aragorn
[ ] swearing and F-bombs
[ ] sex scenes
[ ] Game of Thrones level violence

Hold still while I fart on you, booklet.
*parp*
Ah much better.