Is there a more complex and interesting character in TV history...

Is there a more complex and interesting character in TV history? He is objectively a monster and yet the writing and performance makes him sympathetic and likable.

Attached: Ian-McShane-as-Al-Swearengen-in-Deadwood3.jpg (1200x600, 83.61K)

He's only sympathetic and likeable after Cy Tolliver comes around though.

The sopranos

you mean the first episode?

? So like an anti hero? That trope has been around at least in its modern narrative form for centuries. But maybe since ever

Doesn't he only show up towards the end of the first season?
idk it's been a while since I saw the show

An anti-hero usually does some good and has redeeming characteristics, Al is a fucking demon. The tiny amount of good he does is cancelled out a thousand times over.

>Is there a more complex and interesting character in TV history?
yes.

Attached: The-Leftovers-S3E7-Kevin.jpg (1280x720, 243.8K)

I need to give this a rewatch. So many kino scenes. I can barely remember the context, but the scene in Swegen's office where the shifty untrustworthy guy slits the other guy's throat after trying to extort Al over his arrest warrant or whatever was so fucking good. Or his angry drunken monologue while getting sucked off by that prostitute. Or the whole arc in general of Al and Seth's relationship developing into one of simultaneous mutual respect and disgust with each other. Such a good show. It's not my favorite show of all time but it may well be the best written show ever aired.

Unironically

Attached: He_Who_Remains-_Poster.jpg (1080x1600, 2.48M)

None was arguing that it hasn't been around for centuries.

There's a term called anti-villain where the character's actions are inarguably villainous but his methods and motivations make as much sense as the protagonist's, and he usually has an inarguably noble goal and is quite sympathetic despite his villainous acts. Don't know if McShane's character fits this well, though.

he's just boring.
and i like mcshane.

>boring

Attached: 1642943712339.jpg (508x480, 63.78K)

Al's goals were just power and wealth though.

He shows up in like episode two or three.

Got an example of an antivillain?

How could a short, portly man in his sixties be so terrifying? Amazing performance.

Attached: Ep10-Al.jpg (1200x960, 126.26K)

t. hooplehead

Attached: hooplehead detected.jpg (966x1559, 431.89K)

did people back then really say "fuck" and "cocksucker" all the time? I thought it was mostly "gosh darn it" and "tarnation".

yes

Attached: Dexter_Morgan.jpg (273x364, 12.63K)

Thanos I think, Walter White at the beginning.