Does learning a third language other than english really help you get a job?

Does learning a third language other than english really help you get a job?
I'm learning Chinese as a physics major and everybody says it's useless.

Attached: NrTBG7p.jpg (1125x2436, 400.64K)

I would guess that English alone will make the most since English speaking companies pay the most.

Yeah, but I already have a c2 in English, so there's no use in keep learning it

It's alright, Chinese is gonna be really useful soon

Chinese is not useless but
1) it's much more useful in SEA than Europe
2) It's a bad investment compared to German or programming languages, in the sense that Chinese is a much bigger investment in time and cost

Learning a third language doesn't help you get a specific job most of the time, but there are many jobs where it may be one of the basic requirements.

>learning a language is the same as learning a programming language

午安好west class teeth

also unless you somehow get to a level of good conversational competence and have job prospects in china then why learn chinese
and I see your app has jyutping, cantonese is even more useless

I think when jobs in the West say they want chinese speakers, they're looking for native speakers, or at least fluent speakers. Not people who learned it. Unless you're moving to China it's not gonna help.
With other languages it's different. Speaking decent French can get you jobs in countries that work with French clients or employees, for example.

It's kinda useful here in certain jobs. My uncle lied on his resume that he spoke good german, and he was hired just for this point and now works exclusively in Germany for his company. His lie turned into a truth since he know speaks perfect german due to spending so much time there.

I learned Chinese and can tell you it's completely useless when it comes to finding a job but it's still a nice skill to have overall, opens up an entire new world basically

If you do it for job prospects then it's fair to make a comparison.

Nailed it.
He said it makes more sense to learn to code in terms of time investment.

>there's no use in keep learning it

It makes sense so that you can then forget english and officially exit the globohomo bubble

kek

heh

what app is that?

Pleco

my opinion as a second rate Chinese

Don't bother learning it for business. If a chinese business is looking internationally, they will most likely have a separate english speaking department or have some basic level of english

I think many AI whitepapers are in Chinese, but not in other scientific fields

unless you really want to learn it, or have a specific idea of what you want to use with it, just don't bother because it is notoriously hard to learn

People still learn languages with much less utility, so don't feel the need to justify your decision

I got my job because I speak french