German WWII Veterans

I was thinking about this the other day. In America, like how I imagine it probably is in other allied countries, WWII veterans are celebrated, we call them “the greatest generation.” Basically every white American has a relative who fought in it, and is socialized to be very proud of them. What are Germans taught to think of their ancestors who fought in WWII? Surely the message can’t just be “they’re evil and you should hate them for being le nazis” considering that most of them were probably just low level, ordinary people who didn’t have much of a say in how the country was being run.

Attached: 2A899464-0A38-43D7-A62B-1DA4ACD7E14F.png (600x400, 207.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_war_crimes#Italy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

evil people

They have all been killed by the Americans at the trials. Modern German are all born from robots

all Germans are Nazi

well they do show them as victims like they made a movie about a German soldier who escaped a labor camp in Siberia and travelled all the way back to Germany

Attached: teenager-killed-wwii-veteran-91-by-setting-him-on-fire-58165857.png (500x541, 114K)

It was a lifetime ago and in an event everybody wanted and still wants to forget. RIP dear opa.
Nobody talks about WW2.

is that why you sided with them?

we won't forget it. Pay reparations

this

But what about in history class at school?

t. fascist ally

we sided with them because they wee winning, but they were so retarded to attack Russia, so we had to switch sides to join the new winners

mainly focuses on how the Nazis came to power and how Nazi society worked, WW2 isn't talked about in detail
at least that's how it was in my school

I literally never met somebody who was an adult and fought in the war and I was born in 2001. Anyway my great granddads fought in it, one died other one was in Russian imprisonment for a few years and that's about all I know about them. They all died long before I was born anyway.

you couldn't even beat Somalia and what did you "win" in the end? black immigrants?

ok but how about attacking Russia now? come on Guiseppe

Are you taught to feel ashamed of them? Or are ordinary people portrayed as basically victims of the Nazis who just fell for propaganda?

You were the ones who started fascism years before Hitler did. You gave him that idea, so YOU pay reparations to US.
Also stop bankrupting the EU, you filthy lazy Italians.

they're taught that people in Dresden were massacred by Anglos and Americans

which is true btw stupid mutt

>Are you taught to feel ashamed of them?
no
>Or are ordinary people portrayed as basically victims of the Nazis who just fell for propaganda?
not really, many people were involved in the Nazi state of course, many people were responsible, and many became victims

>you couldn't even beat Somalia
Somalians are Italy friends

Attached: ergerg.png (1158x185, 30.53K)

never said it wasn't

Interesting. How do libtards cope with the fact that their ancestors fought for Hitler? By being even more cucked?

stfu and pay reparations

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_war_crimes#Italy

Cope and seethe pastalet. Imagine being proud to be a traitor.

I don't know, I don't really talk to "libtards"
I guess they don't make their own opinions dependent on the actions of their ancestors

Always kill a traitor before an enemy. You got what you fucking deserved.

I see lol. I appreciate your replies, very interesting.

But do they think their grandparents were evil retards or what?

>Are you taught to feel ashamed of them?
lmao, no. it was treated as any other subject in history is (having nothing to do with anything recent and just being a lot of facts)
why would anyone actually think people were indoctrinated into feeling ashamed for it? fact is, most german today don't feel very connected to that and just think badly of nazis as anyone that isn't a nazi would.

They’re mostly dead now, but they more or less just treated them how you would treat a “retired” (disgraced but not fired) government employee.

I guess, idk
I don't think my relatives who fought in the war were evil

>just think badly of nazis as anyone that isn't a nazi would
you realize that your entire population were "nazis" right?

The focus is mainly on
>This is how they came to power
>This is how life was like under the Nazi regime
>This is the rough summary of WW2 in very broad terms
>This is what happened during the Holocaust
>This is what happened after the war and denazification
And less
>This is how your grandpa was evil and what warcrimes he did
What's generally talked about is the regime as a whole and less individual people

I'm just referring to the people that call themselves nazis today. I honestly couldn't care less about old/dead people.

well my grandfather was a kid/teen during the war and he's said Hitler was a good man long after the war. were there still people like this or would they be prosecuted/persecuted gor such beliefs

Dresden was a reaction to the blitz. Completely fucking justified you stupid kraut.

>he's said Hitler was a good man
people would just treat you like an idiot

My father (born in the early 1950s) said that veterans were highly esteemed when he was young (his father was a veteran).

I guess this was changing to a degree later on, starting with the 1960s but particularly in the 1990s. But even nowadays they aren't really regarded as evil, they're just not seen as heros anymore.

Interesting

a lot were, but not everyone, not at all.
yes, there were a lot such people, e.g. one grandfather of my brother in law, he was a revisionist Nazi until his death, but also bc he suffered a lot due to the war and looked for people to put the blame on. I guess at pubs such opinions were ok, probably a decent amount held them, but not in broad public. Today it's not tolerated at all anymore, ofc.

this, i remember after history class i didn't even know that italy and japan were part of the war too, all wel learned was that nazis are le bad

This question only comes up in regard to Nazis. It never comes up in regard to Soviets.

are you saying they'd be right? i mean Germans went from needing wheelbarrows full of money to being fairly wealthy and prosperous. and my Opa is not stupid. he's a successful businessman.

economic recovery began before the Nazis came to power
and Hitler's economic policies weren't sustainable at all
the narrative of the good Nazi economy is mainly propaganda

The Russians worship veterans of what they call “The Great Patriotic War” much like how we do, I thought this was common knowledge

Yeah lmao, my last history teacher was big on the whole "allies also did bad things" train, in her lessons we talked extensively about the allied bombing campaign, Russian war crimes, the expulsion of the 15million-ish Germans after the war etc

yes, those fucking children in Dresden shouldn't have bombed London, they deserved to burn to death

What’s your point?