The Irish are literally too lazy to learn their own language

The Irish are literally too lazy to learn their own language

Attached: 1647793709542.jpg (240x240, 6.18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eyll-bBZzyk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kys ameriKKKan criminal
We will get rid of your kind

I'm very much pro-Irish revival and I wish we were bilingual like Paraguay but I think it's weird people on Any Forums pick on us for this and not on say Mexico for not being able to speak Nahuatl or Ashkenazi Jews for not being able to speak Yiddish anymore.

these are the worst comparisons you could have picked.
millions of indigenous mexicans still speak all dialects of nahua, mayan, zapotec, etc. in the same areas they were always spoken. the Aztec empire was tiny compared to Mexico today so it was only in that little area
Many Ashkenazi Jews still speak Yiddish and those who don't have valid reasons like living in Israel where Hebrew is their ultimate "wewuz" language, so that would be their Irish and they actually managed to revive it
You're too lazy to pick up an Irish Language book just like you were too lazy to fish when you got hungry

OP speaks the truth

so they cant speak?
how they communicate?

they should make it a mandatory class for kids

t. Paddy O'Connor from Boston, MA

Tá Gaelainn agam féinig a chara. Irish is still a living language and most educated people however atrophied their knowledge from school have at least a basic reading knowledge of it.

Nu-Hebrew is a meme which is massively influenced by Yiddish in syntax, grammar and pronunciation, bearing the violent scars of its origin, in which Yiddish speakers were forced en masse by terror-gangs to speak 'Hebrew' at risk of being beaten. Yiddish printing presses in Palestine were destroyed, books burned etc. That hardcore approach is really the only way to do an instant language shift and for geopolitical reasons Ireland couldn't get away with it.

Sergei Lavrov justified the recent of invasion of Ukraine to Britain with the counterfactual ‘What if they banned English in Ireland?’. Is it simply Russian gaucheness? No, he has a point. Britain would not allow a country it regards in its sphere of interest to become non-Anglophone. As of now they use the carrot (MI5 agents in the Irish print media ridiculing the Irish revival and denigrating the language for decades) but if push came to shove they'd use the stick. The only reason it seems like they wouldn't is because they don't have to. Ireland's under a Monroe doctrine.

They do

then how the fuck do people not speak it?

what is it with people and posting frogs

>massively influenced by Yiddish in syntax, grammar and pronunciation
Unlike New Irish which definitely isn't massively influenced by English in syntax, gammar and pronunciation.
>‘What if they banned English in Ireland?’
But they haven't banned any language in Ukraine? Their president is a Russian speaker.

Could you live happily speaking only Spanish to people you want to Spanish class with?

I don't want to be too defensive because the lack of proficiency in Irish in Ireland is genuinely shameful, but the reasons are a bit more subtle and complex than people on this board or indeed this website have the patience to get to grips with, and I don't blame y'all because it's genuinely hard to understand or explain.

>Unlike New Irish which definitely isn't massively influenced by English in syntax, gammar and pronunciation.

I never denied that it was. Most 'Irish' is an abomination which causes me physical pain to listen to.

>But they haven't banned any language in Ukraine? Their president is a Russian speaker.

The point is not whether Lavrov is right, it's that a de-Anglicisation policy would not be greeted warmly in Britain, just as the Ukrainiasation policy in Ukraine has had consequences for Ukraine.

>“For example if in Ireland, if they prohibited English the language, what would the UK think about it?” Mr Lavrov said. "Or if in Belgium they would have forbidden the French language. I can’t imagine that a law like that would last for more than a couple of days or even hours.”

>but the reasons are a bit more subtle and complex
you're absolutely right, forgive my ignorant posts

It's hard to know when people are being earnest on this board but if you are I appreciate your graciousness, thank you very much. It's rare for people to retract things here.

When are you folks making 4tian?

And what exactly would Britishers do about a Gaelic revival? I see no plausible way of British interference.

Only 6% of Mexico can speak an indigenous language, whereas 38% of Ireland claims to be able to speak Irish, though I strongly suspect that very few of them regular speakers or competent regular speakers of grammatically and phonetically correct Irish.

You're wrong about the Hebrew.
Yiddish is German mixed in with Hebrew, and modern Hebrew is based on, well, Hebrew that was preserved as holy language for prayer. So it's bound to have similarities to Yiddish which also used that same Hebrew as influence. Modern Hebrew is also much closer to the "Mizrahi way" or "Spheradic way" of pronouncing and than the "Ashkenazi way", as the Jews in Europe spoke languages that had less in common with Hebrew than Arabic. The whole "Ashkenazi way" to pronounce things will sound silly to any Israeli that isn't a Yiddish speaking Ultraorthodox Jew.
Modern Hebrew is pretty much the same biblical Hebrew with many made up words and plenty of loan words (from Yiddish, too) for a lot of many things which weren't in the Bible.

Sad stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=eyll-bBZzyk

Am I wrong to feel that this forlorn revival effort is sadder than if the language had simply been abandoned? People would move on, whatever, language shift happens. But this is like permanent life support. Would be cool if things turned around though.

If at some point during the 20th century we used what are really the only effective means of enforcing a language shift, which involve banning one language and supplanting it with another, we could have come under extremely heavy pressures from our nearest neighbour and trading partner, and maybe even have seen a fullscale 'special military operation'.

Also, an underappreciated factor for the surprisingly 'whitebread', unaestheticist and unGaelic character of post-independent Ireland (I thought Ireland was meant to be Celtic LARP Disneyland?) is a desire not to alienate our future fellow citizens in the north. Ireland's commonality with the British statelet in the north was emphasised to make reunion attractive to unionists. The idea was that Gaelic revivalism should perhaps be postponed until after the northerners were brought back into the fold.

>Many Ashkenazi Jews still speak Yiddish
No lol, only very specific communities within the ultra Orthodox, and only they speak it because they believe Hebrew is too holy to be spoken day to day (giga retards)