Do the French miss their empire?

Do the French miss their empire?

Attached: French_Empire_1919-1939.png (520x273, 54.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MvFmuWd_NQw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They still have their african territories

Yes. Especially madagascar indochina and gabon.

what happens in gabon?

Well they asked to be an oversea region a couple of times. Nowadays oil and forest.

I miss it too

Attached: 876E1181-D0F1-4112-9FA9-00486942B825.png (1920x1463, 1.48M)

Yes, France should have accepted Gabon's proposal. Missed opportunity.
But, except for those parts in India, I don't miss any of the rest, myself.

Based post
Based poster

Attached: french_gabon_by_jonasgraf_de5rmi8-pre.jpg (1110x720, 162.22K)

>90% uninhabitable Sahara
lol, no wonder brits poke so much fun at you

did the french really call that an empire
lmao

How do the French view Algeria?

>what happens in gabon?
youtube.com/watch?v=MvFmuWd_NQw

I HATE THE 20TH CENTURY
I HATE THE 20TH CENTURY
I HATE THE 20TH CENTURY

Attached: 69F28EB6-F3FF-483E-AE92-619ED969CBB2.jpg (1800x1800, 470.69K)

With disdain, mostly.
But the feeling's mutual.

>miss
>implying they ever actually gave it up
>implying they don't interfere in the affairs of their former African colonies all the fucking time

What was the 'jewel' of the French Empire? We had India, the Dutch had Indonesia. What did the French have?

catchy

>What did the French have?
We never found much use for our colonies, really.
Which is why we sold some (like 1/4 of the current US) and discarded others though they wanted to remain (though in the case of Gabon it might have been a mistake).
The few parts that actually had some use we still have.

It was discussed in the previous centuries, it was thought better to put the effort into expanding the borders in Europe rather than on other continents. Nobody in France wanted to move to Africa or America.

Today it seems like it was a correct decision, it seems more advantageous to have Alsace or Savoie than Niger or Vietnam (no offense meant to those countries).

You need to remember that, due to their geography, some empires are meant to expand overseas (Britain of course, also Japan).
Others on land (Russia, Ottomans).

A few are lucky enough to have a choice between both. Like the USA - and France. France has access to all three of the Med, Atlantic and North Sea (an uniquely advantageous position).
But also, expanding right at the borders was a very real option. And it was thought the best one.

Do you miss it so much you would go for a retarded war for it? Asking for a friend

Maybe the first empire but not the second, no.

We dont need to wage any war. Just ask them back and they will say yes.
Prob algeria or indochina

>Which is why we sold some (like 1/4 of the current US)
Or traded it away in secret to the Spanish

Objectively speaking people answered you, our colonies weren't that profitable. But in cultural terms, popular imagination, and even this same nickname, "jewel of the empire", it was Indochina, in fact for us it was called "the pearl of the empire".

Yes but only pic

Attached: 1200px-Élection_présidentielle_française_de_1969_T1_carte_par_département.svg.png (1200x1153, 270.31K)