Which Slavic language is the closest to Ancient Slavic?

Which Slavic language is the closest to Ancient Slavic?

Attached: 1004px-Slavic_europe.svg[1].png (1004x768, 215.52K)

East German

Church Slavonic.

Maybe Slovene and Sorbian? They have the dual. Polish has also preserved a few sounds that were present in Common Slavic. The most ancient form of Slavic for which we have records of is Old Church Slavonic, which is based on the dialect of Slavs living in Thessaloniki IIRC

What about alive languages?

Ukrainian or Bulgarian.
Probably Bulgarian, but only because it's closer to Church Slavonic.

Bulgarian doesn't even have cases lmao

What were Slavs doing in Thessaloniki

going on dates with hellenic women

While they preserved a lot of Slavic sounds, their vocabulary's fucked.
I realised that Bulgarian vocabulary's also pretty fucked.
Migrating?
Solún (Thessaloniki) was famously filled with Slavs.

Polish is the only one with nasal vowels :)

Slovakian or Slovenian probably

All of Greece should've been SLAV'd desu
Nasal vowels are ugly

>slavs living in thessaloniki
You mean Turks, I don't remember Thessaloniki having slavs on demographic maps.

Russian is more like old Bulgarian than contemporary Bulgarian is to Old Bulgarian, at least grammatically.

>While they preserved a lot of Slavic sounds, their vocabulary's fucked.
Their vocabulary is still largely Slavonic, it's just that in other languages the cognates of ordinary Polish words are preserved in more archaic forms of other Slavonic languages, e.g. Russian.

Slavs used to live all around Northern Greece before we were slowly pushed out, especially in the last 120 years.
Solun used to be our major centre where Romans taught us about Christ and Salvation.

And that's the city only.

Attached: solun.jpg (1983x352, 183.57K)

Why is that?

>All of Greece should've been SLAV'd desu
it almost was bro

Attached: Slavic_tribes_in_the_7th_to_9th_century-es.svg.png (1198x1024, 379.75K)

Vacation

Because they took our literacy model around the 11th century and had strong central power that prevented changes in the language. Here central power was destroyed by the Ottomans and the language changed more organically.

Old East Slavic sounds (or looks rather) more Russian than Bulgarian to me. I looked at the text of Nestor the Chronicler's "Tales of Bygone Years" and it seemed pretty Russian to me. Mozes da mi das primerak nekog starobugarskog teksta?

I always assumed Northern Albania was Slavic instead of the South.
But then again, they say the Monteniggerin tribal system is just copy paste of Albo one, in fact a part of it.
And Albo Catholics are def there because they used the Church as a means of reistance against Serbia's attempt to make them Orthodox and subjects of Raška

Who pushed you out? Was Solun majority Slavic at one point?

South Greece was no better. Like half the place names there are Slavic. Arachova and Tripolitsa come off the top of my head.

Attached: Slavic_tribes_in_the_Balkans[1].png (618x504, 613.92K)