Does your language have any distinctions for specific words that English doesn't have, or vice reversa?

Does your language have any distinctions for specific words that English doesn't have, or vice reversa?
For example venom vs poison, in some languages it's the same thing

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 36.32K)

Anglos say turtle and tortoise in french we just say turtle or maybe there is another word but I dont care I wont learn it anyway

venom?

Attached: venom.jpg (1920x1080, 325.3K)

ser and estar in Spanish. Both of them mean "to be" but are used in entirely different contexts etc. E.g. está triste means "he is sad right now" but es triste means "he is a sad person". Curious really.

also Chinese has two words for "side" - 面 and 边

English does not have a word for "fleuve" which mean a large river in French, like the Congo, the Amazon, the Nile...

I think Chinese also distinguishes between is (to be) and is (to be in a location)

You have the word bog but we have myr which is a normal flat bog, mosse which is an elevated bog and högmosse which is one of those pillow shaped bogs.

I like this distinction.

Interesse (PT) - Interest (ENG) (being interested in something or someone)
Juros (PT) - Interest (ENG) (on your debt or savings or any other asset or whatever)

Do you have separate words for "swamp" and "wetland" too?

Chinese doesn't really use "to be" all that often
For example
The car is fast -> 车很快 (car very fast) or 车快的 (car fast of)
The car is here -> 车在这里 (car at here)
The car is his -> 车是他的 (car is his)
usually the word for "is" (shì) is just dropped and the word for "very" is used instead in your standard noun-adjective copula
"zai" might be interpreted as "is in a location" but is more like "at".
E.G.
我在英国开车 - I drive a car in England (I at England drive car)
车在英国 - The car is in England (car at England)

Estacionar (PT) - Park (ENG) (parking your car)
Parque (PT) - Park (ENG) (A park as in a space where there are trees and benches or something idk)

we have vörös and piros, both of which mean red in english
it's kind of hard to explain the concept

this kind is quite common because of le funny English homophones/homonyms
e.g.
玻璃 - glass (the material)
杯子 - glass (a cup)

When in reality, English still distinguishes between the two concepts

it's kind of retarded to be honest

Attached: piros-és-vörös_index-e1539981608766.jpg (1000x707, 212.88K)

Chinese really treats verbs differently eh

we distinguish between 'there' (tam) and 'in that direction' (tja).

Where should I put it? Tja, not tam. In that direction, not there.

exactly, glass would be either vidro (the material) or copo (a cup) here

English has the words sand and silt. We have 3 words for those 2 words. Rough sand is called sand here as well but fine sand is called mo, rough silt is also mo. Then fine silt is called mjälla. I think the distinction is very necessary actually because rough silt is safe to build houses on but fine silt is very dangerous as it's capable of turning into a land slide when saturated with moisture.

I googled this and barely understood it. This is the kind of language autism I love

Yes and they correspond
Wetland = våtmark
Swamp = träsk

more examples

Braço (PT) - Arm (ENG) -> your arm as in the thing with the hands and stuff
Armar (PT) - Arm (ENG) -> arm yourself with guns n stuff

okay, I am kind of curious now. In Spanish there are two words for "that" - eso and aquello. they mean like "that" and "that over there".

Is this distinction also in portugese?

Yes, isso and aquilo

Myr could be similar to English mire perhaps.

same here
>tole
this right here
>to
this
>tisto
that there
>ono
that

In Sweden, food are the things you could have as part of a main meal. Never pastry, snacks like chips, candy etc.

yea, we have other stuff too like the chinese one but I thought you meant stuff like this
people just understand the difference. if you said vörös light or piros hair, people would go insane here, despite the fact that vörös and piros are literally the same thing

I'm not sure, maybe it exists in english...
But we distinguish between sodra and babje pšeno, both are small snow particles, but one has an ice shell, so it's more like sleet, while the other is really just small dense snow

Attached: babje_pseno.jpg (1000x563, 59.46K)

>babje pšeno

I had no idea...

Gun uné

Attached: 1471040363889.jpg (1493x1500, 553.12K)