10th-century Arab Traveller's Description of the Russians

>I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Volga. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blonde and ruddy; they wear neither tunics nor caftans, but the men wear a garment which covers one side of the body and leaves a hand free.
>I heard one of the Rus folk, standing by, say something to my interpreter, and when I inquired what he had said, my interpreter answered: ‘He said: “You Arabs are foolish.”’ ‘Why?’ I asked. ‘Well, because you throw those you love and honour to the ground where the earth and the maggots and fields devour them, whereas we, on the other hand, burn them up quickly and they go to Paradise that very moment.’
our ancestors were so awesome

Attached: 800px-Prizvanievaryagov.jpg (800x565, 211.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vikinganswerlady.com/ibn_fdln.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>We wuz Volga Bulgars and shit

>Rus
>Russians

>Russians
>your ancestors

Yes, the Rus were Slavic. Deal with it.

>Rus
>Russians
Yes

Attached: 1381137466_rjurik.jpg (766x516, 68.72K)

Old world interactions..
cute :3

>I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blonde and ruddy

Attached: Ft6qsRP.jpg (720x960, 50.17K)

Based Rus folk
But are you sure he was talking about Russians, not about those vikings who created Russian state?

>But are you sure he was talking about Russians, not about those vikings who created Russian state?
Vikings played no role in the foundation of the Kievan Rus, they probably passed through the region as traders or mercenaries or something

Remember reading the short account of his travels, the funeral scene stays with me.

>Rurik of Ladoga (also Ryurik or Rorik;[1] Old East Slavic: Pюpикъ Rjurikŭ, from Old Norse HrøríkR; Belarusian: Pypык; Russian, Ukrainian: Pюpик; c. 824–879), according to the 12th-century Primary Chronicle, was a Varangian chieftain of the Rus' who in the year 862 was invited to reign in Ladoga or Novgorod. This legendary figure was considered by later rulers to be the founder of the Rurik dynasty, which ruled the Kievan Rus' and its successor states, including the Kingdom of Ruthenia, the Principality of Tver, Grand Duchy of Vladimir, the Grand Duchy of Moscow, the Novgorod Republic and the Tsardom of Russia, until the 17th century.[2]
>The Varangians (/vəˈrændʒiənz/; Old Norse: Væringjar; Medieval Greek: Βάραγγοι, Várangoi;[1][2] Old East Slavic: вapяжe, varyazhe or вapязи, varyazi), was the name given by Eastern Romans to Vikings, mostly Swedes.[3][4] Between the 9th and 11th centuries, Varangians ruled the medieval state of Kievan Rus', settled among many territories of modern Belarus, Russia and Ukraine, and formed the Byzantine Varangian Guard which later also included Anglo-Saxons.[5][6]

Attached: 345343454.png (1100x1007, 628.9K)

I wanted to post the full thing, but it hit the character limit. Here's more: vikinganswerlady.com/ibn_fdln.shtml

RVSsians are vikangs, not sl*vs

>wikipedia written by norman propagandists
yeah I think I'll pass

ok fren, I'm not here to change your mind

>It is the custom of the king of the Rus to have with him in his palace four hundred men, the bravest of his companions and those on whom he can rely. These are the men who die with him and let themselves be killed for him. Each has a female slave who serves him, washes his head, and prepares all that he eats and drinks, and he also has another female slave with whom he sleeps. These four hundred men sit about the king's throne, which is immense and encrusted with fine precious stones. With him on the throne sit forty female slaves destined for his bed. Occasionally he has intercourse with one of them in the presence of his companions of whom we have spoken, without coming down from the throne. When he needs to answer a call of nature, he uses a basin. When he wants to ride out, his horse is brought up to the throne and he mounts. If he wishes to dismount, he rides up so that he can dismount onto the throne. He has a lieutenant who commands his troops, makes war upon his enemies, and plays his role vis-à-vis his subjects.

We need to go back
Imagine hordes of these men slaughtering nafroids and m*Doid savages

I think what he described was a Viking tribe that came from Finland?

burying people is more respectable than burning them. they were insane

he must have been lost

How so? I'm not talking about religious lore, only simple reasons. As it was mentioned a body won't be in a state of decay. Grave robbers won't desecrate the body and archeologists in the future won't excavate remains and put them on display in a museum as if they were some ancient vase or pottery.