Why do Indians address each other as "Sir"?

Why do Indians address each other as "Sir"?

Attached: Screenshot_2022_0201_194415.jpg (481x640, 77.17K)

culture of respect unlike britishers

They come from a more civilised age.

its one of the needful

Exposure to Any Forums made me self conscious of using the word sir in conversations with colleagues

Kek now I purposely use do the needful

DONT call me sir, I am CLEARLY a Ma'am!
And please respect my pronouns in the bio!!!

Because they respect other people

This. Saying mr. Koootharswamipalli sounds weird too, so I dont know what to do.

1. Most Indians come from languages and backgrounds that have much stronger emphasis on formal/informal than English does
2. English is primarily used in formal settings, so spamming "sir", which is one of only a few ways to communicate formality in English, becomes a self-reinforcing habit

t. NRI

Note really related to the thread but anyways, in different parts of India, we have ways to address people your age or older like anna, chetta, bhai etc. But when I was in Bangalore, everyone kept addressing each other as sir.
>Go to shop to buy cigarette and tea
>Guy near me goes "sir one Marlboro Red"
>Gets inside bus
>Guy near me tells the conductor "Sir ticket to Madiwala"

Why do they use sir locally? Is there no Kannada version of Anna? Anons tell me.

Sirs

manners

I think that's cool, they should continue like this

they all have been knighted by the queen of england

The kannada version is Anna, but bangalore is a metro city, so maybe they use English.

good evening sirs

thinking in one language, but speaking in another. indo-aryan and dravidian languages have a lot of honorifics, like japanese.

Dunno, I would rather be called "sir" than "Mr. ".

i dont like it desu. They should use anna. I think Kannadigas hate what Bangalore has become.

Most Indian languages have separate pronouns that are supposed to be used in formal situations and "Sir" or "Ma'am" basically bridges the gap. Most of us are also taught about mutual respect at a very early age which is why you would see people use it to refer to basically any and every fucking person. I usually dont mind it

From what I've noticed, Indian are also like other Asians in that they use family terms for randos.