/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Any Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Lots of books on linguistics of various kinds, as well as language courses:
mega.nz/#F!Ad8DkLoI!jj_mdUDX_ay-8D9l3-DbnQ

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
web.archive.org/web/20200316222401/https://yuki.la/t/796928

List of trackers for most language learning packs:
files.catbox.moe/nmrn8x.txt

Ukrainianon's list of commercial courses from rutracker.org:
pastebin.com/3EWMhSPN

Russianon's list of comprehensible input resources:
docs.google.com/document/d/1wXd0V32TjCFsr1-F_en_lA4MI-i7JtyYf26cWLtPRec

Pastebin that archives challenges:
pastebin.com/u/jopiepoliste/1/dMvKSQMw?sort=-name

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
K'iche'
>What language should I learn?
Tzotzil

Old thread:

Attached: Screenshot_513.png (501x596, 595.64K)

Duolingo gave me 3 days of premium for free. Getting all legendary now without spending GEMS.

Attached: Screenshot_545.png (732x821, 53.46K)

i want to learn french. tips?

input

Attached: input.jpg (900x539, 96.38K)

Is the russian word этo changed by what word it immediately follows?
for example are
Этo выcoкaя дeвyшкa.
and
Этa дeвyшкa выcoкaя.
both correct grammatically?

How should the syllabic R in Sanskrit be pronounced? An retroflex approximant like "err" in American English, or a trilled syllabic r like in Czech? And I also heard it pronounced like both of these mixed.

are you the german learning latin?
What's the duolingo course like? i was thinking about trying it but after what i've seen my mums english excersises i refrained from using that app.

don't

Legitimately trying hard to learn viet. Have no problem memorizing 10 words a day but it's completely worthless because I struggle to make correct tones, even if it sounds right when I say it out loud I'm usually wrong so I have to record myself practicing words and then listen back so I know if it's right.

why?

I kinda learned french up to a C1ish level by myself but I can't really find anyone to talk with in french cause every frenchman I meet online is either a normie who's never online or only ever plays video games

Open L'étranger by Camus and try to read it, google translate and dictionary for what you don't understand, once you finish it you have a pretty solid grasp of the basics and can branch out

Attached: 7f73b269515817.5b8452e208f7e.jpg (2560x1742, 1.65M)

you won't have access to anything interesting learning french.
most french movies and tv-show sucks dicks, music is even worse. translated novels are as good as the french originals.
french is also useless if you plan to travel

Honestly don't listen to this guy , you can ask whichever nation if its worth learning their language and 9/10 times the answer will be no. There's some good shit but most people don't really know much of anything besides American media and their country's pop culture (which does usually suck)

thank you

i see. what language would you say is better then? english and spanish i already know. italian? german? russian? those do not seem so interesting.

learning portuguese would help you communicate with your ancestors

t-that dog is still alive, right???

Attached: 1583622169116.jpg (1439x500, 45.82K)

you're right, i'll stick to learning french.

that's my native language.

that's dope, man

For european languages outside of English, German, Russian, French, Spanish and Portuguese (in no particular order) are the best. They all have good economies, rich history and good culture and many people even outside of the country speak it. French is spoken in much of Africa, Spanish and Portuguese in the America etc. Plus if you wanna learn any other more specific language afterwars, having a knowledge of one of these langauges will massively help you (German to Dutch/Norweigan, Russian to Polish, French to Italian etc)

Other European languages are more specific and you should only learn them if you have a particular reason desu. Unless you plan on living there don't bother with Scandinavia basically everyone there is fluent in English.

You can learn Latin but it's a difficult language on top of being, well, dead.

As for non-European languages, you will have an easier time learning PIE shit, so Iranian, most Indian languages etc.

If you are interested in the Bible you can learn Hebrew, it is not too hard from what I hear but it's an entirely different family.
Also if you wanna study the Bible you could learn greek+ancient greek, normal greek is quite easy but ancient greek from what I gather is insanely hard and hteres actually not that much written in it.

Other than that the only languages that are worth learning are Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Japanese. China has fucking awful media (and I say this as someone who is rather pro-China in many ways), and most people there speak English or japanese/korean. Korean is good but it's a language isolate so youre gonna put a lot of time into it (tho I hear its not that hard) and it has an awful birthrate, so unless you really like K-Pop I would advise you not to. Japanese is a solid choice desu, there's definitely a market for it cause of the weebs and japan has quite a rich literary tradition too. But its hard af and the japanese dont like foreigners. No more character arabic is decent

yes and yes

very easy
What language are you learning?
Why are you learning it?
What’s your level on it?
Are you optimistic about your studies?

easy
>Please do not show me that photo again!
>That dog is still alive, isn’t it?
>My cousin prefers soy milk to cow milk.
>How do I learn [target language]?
>What’s your father’s name?
>Latin was spoken by a lot of people when Jesus was born.
>My young aunt has thick legs.
>I want to go to the beach tomorrow morning.
>I like to play soccer with my two Australian friends.
>You should study [target language] grammar more.

medium
>Despite having small hands and thick fingers, he can play the piano quite well.
>The more you speak about this subject, the more I hate it.
>If I were a good friend, I’d talk with you more often.

hard
>An earthquake is the shaking of the surface of the Earth resulting from a sudden release of energy in the Earth’s lithosphere that creates seismic waves.

Attached: 1643041421850.webm (960x1200, 3M)

german does not help you with dutch or scandi languages
its more the other way around

if anything helps you with those languages, english does