/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Any Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Lots of books on linguistics of various kinds, as well as language courses:
mega.nz/#F!Ad8DkLoI!jj_mdUDX_ay-8D9l3-DbnQ

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
web.archive.org/web/20200316222401/https://yuki.la/t/796928

List of trackers for most language learning packs:
files.catbox.moe/nmrn8x.txt

Ukrainianon's list of commercial courses from rutracker.org:
pastebin.com/3EWMhSPN

Russianon's list of comprehensible input resources:
docs.google.com/document/d/1wXd0V32TjCFsr1-F_en_lA4MI-i7JtyYf26cWLtPRec

Pastebin that archives challenges:
pastebin.com/u/jopiepoliste/1/dMvKSQMw?sort=-name

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
K'iche'
>What language should I learn?
Tzotzil

Old thread:

Attached: Maya script.jpg (500x348, 46.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=F6AC82BB711EC237BE1C04DF7AA3BB85
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7WojNiCMyXjusWByxfosK0ouj5Lb1d11
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xPxnYMQpqsooCDYtQQSiD2O3YO0b2nN
zompist.com/kit.html
youtube.com/c/Artifexian
livinglanguage.com/faq/downloads
youtu.be/ZDRx-F1qHt0
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_(Latin)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bonjour !

Buenas

I'm in Spain for the next three months learning Spanish. Give me tips

Attached: B0328D91-B3A0-4D1A-B9DB-5BF0A9AF1073.jpg (535x667, 43.34K)

italianbros, when do you use "a" before an infinitive vs "di"

a

maybe it's because I don't think much about it being native but the only instance I can think of using a + infinitive is in phrases like e.g "è bravo a suonare la chitarra", "è bravo a disegnare", while di + inf. seems used quite more often, "smettila di cantare", "è ora di dormire", "non è in grado di guidare", etc...

>NOOOOOOOO DON'T BE MEAN TO THE ESKIMO FAGGOT HE'S ALREADY TRIED TO KILL HIMSELF THRICE THIS WEEK HE MIGHT ACTUALLY DO IT IF YOU POINT OUT HE MAKES ABHORRENT POSTS

Attached: 1614457038043.jpg (786x782, 112.82K)

Meds

ok, grazie

what

Unanswered questions:
>French

>General
>Conlangs

He obviously meant to ask about blizzard or snowstorm. You're the retarded one.

Grazie!
Castillan Spanish has a different pronunciation. "Cinema" is pronounced like /'θi.ne.ma/ for example

can you learn two distant languages at once?
say turkish and spanish?

Simultaneously learning two distant or dissimilar languages is easier than learning two similar languages at the same time.

that's great. now, how can I start learning Turkish and Spanish? What are the sources?
I've started taking real life lessons in Turkish

Have you read the wiki?

Sorry I don't live on a frozen shithole, retard

I will now, thank you!

What's your favorite Japanese word?

Attached: images - 2021-11-17T010505.817.jpg (491x625, 18.94K)

Is supplementing your language learning with doing Duolingo course of that language alongside other methods of learning the language useful? Or is duolingo a total bad investment?

duolingo may be useful if you are an absolute beginner but you will very soon outgrow it and its usefulness

Based schizo

I've been trying to learn Turkish since a week. I am facing a few problems:
Turkish uses a strange word order (subject object verb) which sounds VERY unnatural to me.
In Arabic and English, a sentence is like this:
user is eating an apple.
In Turkish, it's more like this:
user an apple is eating.
Will I ever get used to this? Is it normal to feel enormous difficulty in picking up the word order of a new language?
Will my brain eventually accept and integrate the new sentence order?

Is memorizing a frequency dictionary useful?
Like the most 5000 used words in Turkish dictionary. An Anki deck.
Should I give it a go?
Realistically, how long will it take for me to memorize 5000 words?

It is good as a supplement provided you read the grammar notes. I think it also has lots of short stories for various langauges.
Some language courses are more fleshed out than others.
You could possibly learn very decent Spanish on Duolingo alone advancing far enough but the Latin course like many others is neither long nor extensive enogh to teach the language fully.
So if you like using Duolingo it is totally fine to supplement your learning via it.

I learned VSO order of MSA no prob.
>Is memorizing a frequency dictionary useful?
No. Vocabulary retention is possible only through talking, reading, writing and translating coherent sentences and texts. No, Duolingo is not good.

XD

za warudo

>duolingo may be useful if
if some useful app would rename itself to duolingo

a

Please learn Tok Pisin.

Attached: Raggiana Bird of Paradise.jpg (800x1152, 126.97K)

How?

Its vocabulary is basically English with a few local words, and its morphology is very simple. Here's a grammar of the language:
libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=F6AC82BB711EC237BE1C04DF7AA3BB85

hey, are you the russian guy who talked to me about arabic grammar the other day?
i've been thinking, what makes you pick arabic out of all languages?
what motivated you to study it? how did you even get fluent at Arabic?
even to me, as an Arab, Arabic is chinese-level language.
Also, after becoming fluent in Arabic, what did you do with it?
What books did you read?
Did you check Arab songs, culture?
Do you mind giving me a review of what you think about Arabs?

Please learn Bavarian

Attached: Bavarian pepe.png (523x667, 346.67K)

Is it still spoken?

English is a universal language that everyone should be fluent in. Okay, done.
What's the second most-useful language to learn that is as international as it gets?
Besides Chinese.

Yes, though mostly by people in rural areas.

スニード

just getting all my trees gold now......

Attached: Screenshot_540.png (298x901, 46.15K)

well if you just use population size the next after mandarin is hindi but do you really want to live in those places? after that is spanish which seems more reasonable and is easier.

checked.

I will learn Bavarian

Attached: boarisch.png (1276x718, 1.13M)

how easy is spanish? can I self-learn it? learn it at home, for free?

>how easy is spanish?
Very easy, especially if you already know English.
>can I self-learn it? learn it at home, for free?
There are many Spanish learninh resources, due to the size and importance of the language.

Currently learning Russian.

Im native czech speaker, both languages strike me as really similar. It is basically about memorizing the vocabulary and different words.

Any tips on how to learn vocabulary easier ?

Btw, any russians here ? Why do you guys speak so fast. Is it normal for you to speak fast ? Czech seems to be quite slow compared to russian.

can you suggest the best resources to me?

I've only studied it in classes, unfortunately.

I have always thought that Russian speakers talk slow compared to anyone else lmao. Look at spaniards

>Will I ever get used to this?
sure why not. the word order gets more complicated in daily conversation though so just get the hang of the proper form first then move on to harder texts.
>Is memorizing a frequency dictionary useful?
i doubt it

Please learn Kazakh

Attached: Abai Qunanbaiuly.jpg (177x248, 10.83K)

I've read many posts about germans speaking English and lost my motivation to learn German is completely. How do I restore it?

Germany completely*

Fuck, German completely*

>hey, are you the russian guy who talked to me about arabic grammar the other day?
Yep.
>i've been thinking, what makes you pick arabic out of all languages?
It's a language beautiful in visual representation and interesting in structure.
>what motivated you to study it? how did you even get fluent at Arabic?
I'm not fluent, it's a process. I'm slacking off which I hate myself for.
>even to me, as an Arab, Arabic is chinese-level language.
Arabic is easier than Russian - it has a very predictable stress pattern with the mora-based stress (where the stress is dependent on the length of the syllable), while in Russian there is no easily discernible pattern whatsoever. Verb conjugation in Arabic is much more regular than in Russian (aside from فعل type verbs where you need to memorize masdar and the second vowel in past and present tenses, فعّل through استفعل verbs are very straightforward).
>Also, after becoming fluent in Arabic, what did you do with it?
I'm not doing anything. Sometimes I write something in /mena/ but I'm slacking off.
>What books did you read?
I have a collection of books which I coursed through to various degrees (I didn't read my Qur'an yet, no, but I read a few verses from online Qur'an corpus which shows syntax and morphemes). Some are in Arabic only, others are bilingual (with parallel translation in English or Russian).
>Did you check Arab songs, culture?
I heard some from Mashrou Leila, but I prefer suchs songs as Ya Salima, An Nadda Nadda and nashids. But honestly, Persian music is better, imho.
>Do you mind giving me a review of what you think about Arabs?
Gulf Arabs seem like rich degenerates kissing Israel's ass and making deals with them in plain sight while funding durka durka anywhere but at home, so that they wouldn't get a roof and a lampost treatment they deserve. Overall I find Arabs funniest people ever (in a based way, not cringe-inducing like Indians), especially after watching hours of Memri.

Attached: IMG_20220129_233529.jpg (4066x3120, 3.43M)

Somebody's son made that image

I learned Turkish for a few months and yeah you do get used to it, once you study the grammar if you do a shit ton of input your brain will just kind of switch to it without thinking on it

Check out David Peterson & his entire channel
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7WojNiCMyXjusWByxfosK0ouj5Lb1d11
Biblaridion
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xPxnYMQpqsooCDYtQQSiD2O3YO0b2nN
Zompist, you can also pirate his book
zompist.com/kit.html
Artfexian, for worldbuilding & some lang stuff
youtube.com/c/Artifexian

In my experience, it helps at first to define a culture, religion, place, etc, and then get into building a phonology and vocab. By then, you have a set goal, a defined group of fictional speakers, and you can edit it however you like. You can also create multiple in parallel when you're more experienced, and loan words

今日は、HAVE A NICE DAY!

Please learn Vietnamese

Attached: AoDai.jpg (3648x5472, 772.58K)

I am the resident "please learn [language]" poster. Please find your own gimmick.

Please forget Barabayiiga-Gisamjanga

livinglanguage.com/faq/downloads

This website seems to be shutting down but they seem to have have audio courses.

What language do I learn if I just want to sex blonde girls with big boobies? I was thinking norwegian, dutch, or german. maybe finnish or icelandic but they seem harder

Iirc Norway has the girls with the largest tits

All those countries already speak English

Real American hours huh?

Based

>had to try to communicate with a south American lad with my terrible portunhol
It was an experience

Can you elaborate on that?

Attached: 20220129_184721.jpg (520x310, 23.08K)

I work retail and had to help someone who only spoke Spanish buy a metro pass. We were able to communicate well enough but i was pronouncing everything terribly

So you spoke Portuguese and he spoke Spanish?

He spoke spanish, i spoke portunhol (informal mix of portuguese and spanish)

Anki time

No

Why not?

Please learn Ottoman Turkish

Attached: Suleiman the Magnificent.jpg (1280x1497, 705.7K)

Wasn't Turkish purified in the 1920s?

Yeah, Ottoman Turkish has a different script and significantly more Persian influence.

מָה אָתה וֹעשׂה?

>not all purple
ngmi

>וֹעשׂה
עוֹשׂה*

/lang/ is empty and I can't discuss anything about linguistics, sad!

It's saturday night, that's why. Don't worry.

Do most wordlists for frequently used words count inflections of the same word as different words?

Gn lang

Ohhhh yeah you right
t. college

>why YES i am learning X to talk with others, consooom netflix garbage, beguile women, and advance in my career
>WHY would i learn a dead language to read literature, obscure texts and out of etymological interests?!!!

Attached: 1639939395762.jpg (2836x1668, 781.46K)

Honestly, those are all valid reasons to learn a language. The difference with dead languages is that you wouldn't be able to do half the things you could by learning a modern one.

learning languages for cooming, consooming, and for muh jobs is pretty soy if you ask me

What if i read old texts in a living language?
youtu.be/ZDRx-F1qHt0

yes that's also incredibly based

What languages are you learning?

French, Spanish, Italian, German, Spanish, Latin and Greek

I have problems

Literally how?

I spend an average of 5-6 hours a day on languages.

Impressive

ty

Attached: file.png (775x653, 364.75K)

Look at all those leafs

How is German a harder language than Spanish/Italian/French when those three languages words are entirely different to English? Along with this the American accent works well with German where it doesn't at all with the other ones.

What is that in your hand?
Was ist das in deiner Hand?
Qu'est-ce que c'est dans ta main ?
Cos'è quello che hai in mano?
Qué es eso en tu mano?

The only German words that resemble English ones are the basic, everyday (like Hand in your example) ones and funnily enough words of Latin origin. Crack open a book in a romance language and in German. You'll have a much easier time staying afloat in, say, French or Spanish. Not only this, but there is usually at least one English word coming from every Latin word: for example, manual (as in manual labour) comes from the Latin manus (hand)

The Ablative Case dabs it on me.
Can someone give me a rundown on the Ablative Case in Latin?

How fucked am i learning German then? I quit French because of dumb pronunciation and bought German books but they haven't got here

>Qué es eso en tu mano?

¿Qué es eso que lleva en la mano?

Do you like memorizing articles that even confuse native speakers?
Do you like irregular verb conjugations?
Do you like a case system?
Memes aside the pronunciation is straight forward most of the times but I may be biased as a native speaker :^)
The ability to endlessly chain words together though is pretty cool.

It's not that hard. Most of the article and adjective endings which normies constantly cry about in German are derivative of each other. You really only need to learn a few. The verbs are also easier than the romance ones. The number system is also very straightforward, nothing like the mess that is the french one. And even despite what I said earlier, when my German professor speaks slow German I sometimes have trouble distinguishing it from English.

I don't even know what those words mean I am American

What does purple stand for? Don’t remember its existence.

rolling

>The number system is also very straightforward, nothing like the mess that is the french
What is 99?
Well it is 4*20+10+9 XDDD

russians b like
>today the rain is walking

reminds me of "me voy a ir yendo" (im going to go going)

Attached: i.jpg (552x768, 111K)

>can recognize words when I see them written
>can't recall for shit
This shit is hard

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Legendary.

Trying to get back into the swing of getting into a language after forever with baby steps, hasn't been going all too long. Using memrise as the quick gateway to opening up arabic since it always looked cool, and probably brush up on my rusted spanish in the background.

Sweet, not alone in thinking arabic both looks ornate and is kinda fun to write.

Read more and use the words you want to actively remember. Also trying memorizing assimil dialogues through repeated shadowing. It really helps.

How many words do i need to start reading shit?
Learning words is a pain in the ass

Anyone here learn a language purely because they're interested in the language itself and not because they really want to use it?
I'm considering learning a turkic language but I have no desire to read, watch, listen or talk to anyone in any of those languages, should I just read a grammar book?
Ugly post but I like the message
I suppose I just can't understand as someone in a country like Australia

those countries are all rich and they all speak english, russian is probably a better option and it has way more content than norwegian, dutch, finnish and icelandic

Attached: probablynotaccuratemap.jpg (758x746, 191.03K)

Do you have instrumental and locative in german? It's basicaly those

>Do you have instrumental and locative in german?
Germans are caselets.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_(Latin)
>What is 99?
>Well it is 4*20+10+9 XDDD
99 in Arabic:
9 (reverse gender agreement) + "and" + 9 with plural suffix (regular gender agreement).

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 94.16K)

Started learning Plural words in German in Goethe yesterday, it was easy so far but now I kind of understand why people say German is a bit of a hard language.

>Along with this the American accent works well with German

Attached: 1538403619071.jpg (600x532, 40.19K)

>Plural words
>a bit of a hard language.
Heh.

Attached: IMG_20220130_113132.jpg (890x1835, 348.19K)

Arabic is hard as hell, easily the hardest subject in highschool.
But you get used to it since you hear it everyday.
The problem with this plural thing is that there are so many rules you either have to memorize or just remember the words themselves.
Guess I should start playing videogames with German subs from now on.

>cont

Attached: IMG_20220130_114341.jpg (777x1584, 218.58K)

Do you have to be specifically taught as a native user which plural to use (like saying جرائد، and not *جريدات)? In Russian there are some forms resulting from a historic sound change that have to be taught (for example, "ear" is yхo úkho, but "ears" are yши úshi instead of *yхи úkhi; the latter is used for humorous purpose or imitating low-class speech).

>easily the hardest subject in highschool
Why exactly? Aren’t you supposed to speak your language quite well, despite having to memorize all those grammar rules? Does Arabic have lots of arbitrary rules?

are you a berber or something?

the vocative case is a meme it latin. it doesnt exist, nor locative.

>Does Arabic have lots of arbitrary rules?
Literary Arabic distinguishes 3 cases while colloquial varieties do not, for starters. Only some fixed phrases like adverbs retain vestiges of accusative or genitive case (like shukr_an, wallah_i).

Scottish plurals

Bràthair, bràithrean
Dàn, dàin
Clàrsach, clàrsaichean
Anam, anamannan
Baile, bailtean
Long, luing
Fiadh, feidh
Seòl, siùil
Neul, neòil
Deur, deoir
Grian, grèine
Cìoch, cìche
Meann, minn

Fake plurals for a fake language.

>Do you have to be specifically taught as a native user which plural to use
Yeah, there are many special cases so you'll have to know them by heart.
I'm mostly speaking about grammar and that related stuff, reading and writing is easy as it gets.
I'm, but I wasn't thought berber unlike my family, we use Algerian arabic to speak here, it's a mix of french and arabic.

ayo

Cunny

just add S retards

What a conservative writing system.

>implying that is this easy even for Portuguese
>país países
>lápis lápis
>opinião opiniões
>cidadão cidadãos
>capitão capitães
>canil canis
>fóssil fósseis
>hífen hífenes ou hifens (without accent)

Any native Hebrew speakers here?
I'd like to know if the noun adultery as in "Thou shalt not commit adultery" is linguistically related to the verb adulterate which means to debase or dilute like water in wine.

Youse better be doing your input, I'd like to get a trilingual edition of Le Petit Prince, but only the bilingual version works with my TL(s).

Attached: Sloth.jpg (1280x720, 160.17K)

what about
>I'm gonna get going

Me voy a irme yendo*