Wolverine

How did he become so popular?

Attached: 1644468165900.jpg (781x1186, 325.03K)

Man with claws on his hands, the embodiment of 90s exxxtreme.

Except he became a superstar in the early 80's

Did he? He had appearances with the X-Men in the Spider-Man cartoon but I think only really took off in the 90s with the X-Men cartoon as well.
No one gave a shit about Marvel at large in the 80s, they were poor man's DC. Boy, times have changed.

You lost your mind. X-men were big in the 80's and the reason Marvel does all that mega crossover shit.

I think you're confused.

Nobody knew he was a Canadian

Children, I'm 51 and started collecting comics 40 years ago. In the '90's I looked like Logan(as drawn in comics): 5', 10" - 200lbs, 12% bodyfat, martial arts trained, acrobat, long dark hair. People often called me Wolverine. He was "underground big" (like Metallica before BLACK album-destined for glory) because he had superpowers without going off the rails like Superman.

The X-MEN movie is what catapulted him into the "super-famous place" because Hugh Jackman well embodied the character, but was 6'2" and with "enhanced abilities" as compared to the comic, and Hugh has a great personality that shined through- and quite franky great lines/scenes in the movies, and he took them over because of it.

As far as the future:we'll see, because Ah-nold truly was Conan The Barbarian, but Jason Momoa couldn't do anything with the character.

it was 80s and 90s

Momoa's Conan was actually great, but unfortunately the script for his movie was dogshit. He felt much more aggressive, dangerous and barbaric than Arnold's Conan did. But Arnold had a better script, better soundtrack, better cast and pretty much everything else.
And I'm not dissing Arnold's Conan; I just think Momoa did a bang up job and unfortunately things didn't work out for him.

If I had to guess, it was the claws. People must've seen that and it blew their minds.

Wolverine and the Punisher were the original edgy cape comic antiheroes who actually killed people in an era when nobody else at Marvel did. Logan didn't really catch on until a breakout role in the Dark Phoenix Saga in the early 80s, when the rest of his team had been defeated and he fought on alone. Claremont and Byrne were making an effort to make him cool and popular, and it paid off.

A lot of the things that made Wolverine popular in the 80s don't fly so well with modern sensibilities, while Marvel pushed him so hard for so long that a lot of older fans just got sick of him.

Wolverine was in Uncanny for almost a decade before the Miller mini. But it wasn't until the late 80's/early 90's during the Hama/Silvestri run of the ongoing that he became a Spider-Man style ubiquitous guest star.

It's been claimed that in the 80s as the X-Men got popular, Claremont tried whenever he could to keep control of them and stop other books using them as guest stars to boost sales, so guest appearances would usually just be in books written by people he was friends with, or written by editors he couldn't refuse. After Claremont left Marvel, it was open season on Wolverine guest appearances, but even he seemed to have eased off on trying to stop it by the late 80s.

A similar thing happened with David Michelinie trying to limit guest appearances of Venom outside of the Spider-Man book he was writing in the late 80s and early 90s, and a massive increase in other writers using him once there was nobody objecting.

This.

In the beginning, he was a scrappy underdog with a big heart who gets beaten down but gets back up again. People tend to like those kinds of characters. The writers kind of went overboard later with his regenerative abilities which removed the stakes in his fights because now you know he'll recover even if he's destroyed down to one cell.

70's

X-Men were not big in the 70s. They spent half the 70s as a reprint book, then spent years after the relaunch trying to avoid cancellation and slowly build sales back up to where they were in the 60s. They didn't get big until the early 80s.

>bad boy with a mysterious past and a cool powerset
I wonder.

I built my first computer and used napster when I was 12 I can't imagine collecting physical comics except for the few exceptionally good ones whose creators I wanted to support

He's an indestructible killing machine.

Done.

I always thought Wolverine was better when not affiliated with The X-Men. Same goes for Juggernaut