How to deal with character with backstories based in specific real life events and dates?

How to deal with character with backstories based in specific real life events and dates?
For example, Magneto, they turned his "Holocaust survivor" background an essential part of his backstory but there is a limit to what "rejuvenation" plots can do because his background is also tied to meeting Xavier post-war in Israel. They are now pushing a 100 years old based in that background.
How to deal with scenarios like that?

Attached: dead parents.jpg (602x925, 135.89K)

sliding timescale 5 years irl means 1 year has passed on in-universe comic

Finish the story.

>in Israel
Did Charles ask him wtf he was even there, since he's Ashkenazi: a Slavo-Germanic group who lived in and around the Caucasus (Armenian, Georgians, Ukranians and Russians from that region)? No semitic DNA, no blood claim to israel?

Attached: 1660767691173202.png (613x716, 1.08M)

Sliding timescales are fucking stupid. It's a lazy excuse to avoid characters aging & passing on.

Just say it is magnetism.

WTF that pic?

For Magneto and Xavier it's not much of a problem as they are dead and rejuvenated.

With the Punisher they moved from Vietnam to the Iraq, but being a more down-to-earth character, the limit is more felt.

Yes infinitely serialized stories are inherently retarded in every meaning of the term.

>How to deal with scenarios like that?
Eventually you have a choice between the following:
>retconning the origin either to something more recent, or to a fictional conflict
>keeping the origin as it is, and he just gets old and dies eventually
>have the character be rejuvenated somehow, or die and get resurrected in a younger body
Marvel have been using the last approach for both Magneto and the Punisher several times over.

There's also John Byrne's pitch for how to deal with it; Xavier just gave Magneto false memories of being in the Holocaust to make him easier to deal with.

It is a problem because it it's linked Xavier to forming the X-men, taking Scott as his first student and all that. It affects the ages of all surrounding characters.
>Marvel have been using the last approach for both Magneto and the Punisher several times over.
Which is getting close to a limit. Frank can be pushed to whatever war happened a couple of decades ago, characters like Magneto no because it a static point of time.

Didn't marvel invent some fake war for characters like Frank since Vietnam couldn't work anymore?

I tought they moved to Gulf War/War on Terror.

>There's also John Byrne's pitch for how to deal with it; Xavier just gave Magneto false memories of being in the Holocaust to make him easier to deal with.
I'm gonna need more elaboration on this please

Attached: 165808615226952.png (711x633, 177.47K)

>There's also John Byrne's pitch for how to deal with it; Xavier just gave Magneto false memories of being in the Holocaust to make him easier to deal with.
So real life?

Cryogenic freezing if you're wed to the original backstories. Retcons with a fictional, non-existent war if not.

To me it seems obvious that they should just assume that time moves differently there.

The Fantastic Four went into space in the early 1960s to beat the Commies, and now they're living in 2022 and they've only aged a few years. Magneto was a young man in the Holocaust and now he's only a few decades older. So why not?

This has been done in some plays, where you have characters who stay the same age but live through hundreds of years' worth of history. Somehow this seems unthinkable for comics but I've never understood why. It makes more sense than trying to update their past all the time.

>the holocaust
>real world event

It all dates back to when Byrne left X-Men to work on Fantastic Four. Claremont used Doctor Doom in an X-Men story, Byrne objected to how Claremont wrote him, and managed to block Claremont from his plans to keep using Doom in X-Men stories. According to Byrne, not being allowed to use Doom anymore was what motivated Claremont to suddenly turn Magneto into from one of Marvel's most evil villains into a noble antihero with a tragic backstory. Virtually everyone else working in 1980s Marvel seemed to hate this, and wanted to get Magneto back to normal, Byrne was the one who actually came up with a plan to fix him by revealing he wasn't really a Holocaust survivor, Xavier just gave him false memories.

When Byrne came back to Marvel in the late 1990s and wrote X-Men The Hidden Years, there were rumors he wanted to do this story, but editorial wouldn't allow it, he's since used it in the fanfiction comic he posts on his forum.

>WITH MY MASTERY OF MAGNETIC MIGHT, I HAVE ENERGIZED THE IRON IN MY BLOODSTREAM TO REJUVENATE MY AGED BODY!
There you go, OP, problem solved and it's less bullshit than some of the stuff he's pulled over the years.

What if he uses his magnets to steal the blood from younger people to rejuvenate himself?

Ah, there's nothing quite like the silly pettiness of Marvel's behind the scenes drama in the 80s

Ok, Magneto got young again… but how you make people who are related to them to remain at the same age and not 60+ seniors?

Why not have Magneto get displaced in time by celestials or something and go from there? Pulp Sci-fi shit like in the early 1900s.

Honestly, the other guys were right. Claremont should have just created an OC instead of trying to change someone that evil so much. I wonder if Byrne regrets stopping Claremont from just using Doom more.

A funny detail of the story is that Byrne also talked about the one Magneto story he and Claremont did during their X-Men run, Claremont would do the character voices when they were discussing the plot, and used a high-pitched cackling voice for Magneto back then.

The fact that the Magneto backstabbing was driven by Claremont's former X-Men artist (Byrne) and editor (Roger Stern) makes it all the more fun.

(Stern wrote the "X-Men vs. the Avengers" mini where the Avengers want to take Magneto into custody to stand trial, and his plot for the final issue had Magneto acting more like a villain again; he was fired and Jim Shooter co-wrote a last-minute new plot.)

I mean it makes sense, the Holocaust IS a lie.