Forgiveness/Redemption

There is nothing wrong with forgiving someone.
You see arguments on here all the time about forgiveness and redemption. Does X character deserve redemption? Should Y character forgive X character.

I think these questions fundamentally miss the point of forgiveness/redemption. Its never about 'deserving'. Its about whether or not the person/people character X has hurt wants to forgive them or not.

Attached: Zuko.jpg (1400x700, 150.92K)

Correct

But discussions, especially discussions that cause conflicts between people cause it is a political subject or just stupid trolling remarks, generate a longer thread.

So I can go "I think Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and you'll get maybe 2-3hours of people agreeing, or I can go "I think Chip & Dale is just as good 2D and real life interacting now days is unrealistic expectations" and that thread will last longer.

True.

Also I bet if I had used the character I originally wanted to use because of this video I watched and its pinned comment gave me the idea for this thread, I would've gotten more attention immediately.

On the internet, the concepts of forgiveness/redemption run contrary to always being right and proving that to others.

Could you go into a little more detail?

Nah, it's not about "deserving" nor if the character is forgiven in universe. It's about what's earned through the narrative.
A character's actions must come with some sound reasoning otherwise the audience is just not gonna buy it

By audience you mean you, yourself. Because there will be people who agree or disagree no matter what.

>Its about whether or not the person/people character X has hurt wants to forgive them or not.
The issue comes when it's impossible to ask those people for forgiveness. Sure, Aang can forgive him, but what about all the soldiers he sent to their death or personally killed? Does Aang have the right to forgive him on their behalf when they lack the power to do anything and Aang could punish him with impunity? Just hypothetically. Replace Zuko with Fire Lord if you don't want to get into an argument over what Zuko actually did.

Its still possible to see a common consensus. Zuko for example is mostly recognized as a good redemption story, there might be people who disagree but it's a minority. If the reception is extremely divisive or plain mostly badly received I'm willing to bet it was a fumble on the writer's part

Zuko wasn't seeking forgiveness from them. He was seeking forgiveness from the Gaang.
War is a hell of a thing.
This is like hating the Fire Nation cause they killed people yet pretending the Earth Kingdom and Hakoda's raiders weren't killing people.

>see a common consensus
Forty or so people in agreement on the matter, in some thread, on this board is not a consensus of the larger fanbase user. I get what you're saying though.

Oh? Now I'm curious.

counterpoint

Attached: aang-energy-ozai.png (1600x900, 870.91K)

I don't understand. This isn't a forgiveness/redemption thing at all. This is a "Should Aang have killed Ozai or not" thing. Pretty sure nobody forgave Ozai just cause Aang took his bending away (I think energy bending is dumb)

who did he send to his death? His personal army were all faceless mooks who lived each and every time. Even betraying Aang didn't kill him

This is an entirely different issue

What makes you think I'm only talking about this board? This place is tiny, well I still feel you can get a good feel on the reception in more general social media and review sites. I guess it is becoming muddled since even those places are becoming more echo chambery tho

My statement was more of to do with other fandoms, not specifically ATLA.

>Its about whether or not the person/people character X has hurt wants to forgive them or not.
Sometimes there is no one left alive to forgive, which is when it gets interesting

Then they have to forgive themselves.

It was forgiveness, the air monks practice universal forgiveness. It also ties to OP's argument that is more about the hurt characters were forgiven

Attached: 6829ef4223da01a99f7ba6e2f948f57c.jpg (1234x2009, 290.64K)