How are art usually PLANnd like in dc or marvel so to maybe expect a certain amount of sales for a particular issue...

How are art usually PLANnd like in dc or marvel so to maybe expect a certain amount of sales for a particular issue? Seems like very rough prediction but im interested in their QC, or just general business keeping in popular comics i guess.

Attached: 20220912_130003.jpg (2191x1644, 874.67K)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Y

You can’t know ahead of time without already having worked your market before

But theres historical data, Yoon

Well if you had the answer then why ask me?

no your opinion is well placed but it s vague so yer then suggesting big companies make million dollar decision without even knowing the market? Is that what yer saying? No historical data as reference or well sorry

No structured analysis to support their production?

Yeah there’s some amount of market analysis you can do, though even as I look into macro/microeconomics and such there are huge non-mathematical variables the equation isn’t really mean to handle.
See look at this rudimentary equation
> The experts at Economics Help provide the formula Qd = a - b(P) to chart the demand curve, where "Qd" stands for the quantity demanded and "a" represents all factors affecting the price other than your product's price.
I mean so what the hell is Qd and a then? They don’t sound like they would be numbers. Then again I’m not an expert and all of the people who might be able to tell you the facts are caught up interpreting private information to produce private results, for a lot of money. I do feel like any ‘real secrets’ math wise are probably locked up in private company vaults or you’d have to get a good college education for.
BUT THE TRUTH IS - franchises and ideas are started with pitches, you attempt something based on your own educated guess, bring it to a publisher or the public, see what about it catches on and gets traction, then push that part of the idea and capture new audience members by just working it and getting what people enjoy out to them
If you want to use pre-existing data, just look at what’s already popular and go by that

Make sense
Whats' b(P) then?
>whats popular
Why not just copy something then? Then the value is then shared by two exact things...

I think i got you
Most of the function looks...almost simple enough.

Lastly, to make this more direct, can you make the similar model of calculation to know how much things should be in the canvas? Like quantity demanded but based on things like demographic or trend

And being completely specific like

"A hundred page of tens of characters doing conflict in a prairie" kind of answer?
Like maybe even layout a panel sketch that will sell great.

Yes actually if you can ‘copy’ something, as lo mg as you can produce a decent standard of quality you’re probably fine. If you’re doing it with your own hand as an artist, and your own mind, it will automatically be different anyways.
And the trick is really that your comic should be diverse in composition and setting. If you want a specific long format I say go look at something like The Watchmen and how effective it’s 3x3 solid paneling is, especially when they break format occasionally and do a full pager or a wider panel. Beyond picking a comic you know is good and emulating it, you can find good panel composition ideas in those ‘making comics’ books by Scott McCloud, really you can just find panels in any comic you like and borrow their ideas. Honestly from my perspective what people really want in a comic is stimulation, so for art that includes clever blocking, really sharp or catchingly realistic rendering, and generally just fun and interesting stuff to look at.

Yeah thats clear enough i guess... almost.
For final touch maybe then, would big company do a particular means to NOT go below a certain number?

Basically filling some X times X sizd canvas with what it ll be so that it ll sell X? Somehow? Like th Qd a things but something more specific like inSIDE the camvas?

I mean usually big companies do that in movie format, the Disney sized CGI movies and the all ages family movie, but they’re also going for world sized scale and have to employ thousands of people, you can probably get decent margins with less scale without telling yourself you have to only do the biggest most successful stuff like marvel movies (which are stuttering on their own even). Comics have faltered a bit but there are a lot of successful artists on Twitter and other places who use all sorts of canvas size, the key is to have something interesting and keep bringing interesting things

Inside the canvas? Let’s keep it simple. Human or animal subject, who demonstrates specific attitudes and themes through their design, and a world around them that either matches that theme or develops it. Vague I know, but decide first if you want a more contemporary, social audience, they like real world setting with mostly modern stuff they themselves could own and wear and do, but with a little fantasy like an iron man suit or it’s a crazy hacker girl who’s also a ninja, or they’re psycho in a fun realistic way. Or you can go fantasy, sci fi, historical, whatever. Pick something and give it flair. Maybe your astronaut is playing a tuba, I don’t know. You want to quickly deliver theme and idea, through a nice or cool looking picture. That’s what the moment of art consumption is, that’s your point of sale. The viewer sees your art and they instantly receive your creative idea, and they’re in

Oh and when I say attitudes and themes, let’s say you love the idea of making money being a little bastard and not having to play by anyones rules but you’re still hot and have lots of parties and sex. Seriously something as simple and indulgent as that, you know people like that idea, and it’s edgy. So let’s put that into an image by drawing an attractive thinner but toned man, in a bum’s hat and cloak, but he’s stylish enough he almost looks like a cowboy or has some of that Michael Jackson trenchcoat flair. He’s in an alleyway at night smoking a cigarette smiling like a bastard, and one hand is in his pocket with a huge wad of money sticking out, and the other hand is holding a funny and surpassingly complicated looking homemade electronic device he’s hooked into the wall. Maybe in the background we show the sign of a fictional pharmaceutical or whatever evil company. If you can draw that, then people will get this whole idea in one second, and it’ll be fun. Think about stuff like that when you choose composition and subject

Ok i guess i got it.... abit lengthy post but So in summary there s just no way to be completely specific then right
Which is just normal and how things can justmassively flops despite anything?

Attached: 20220912_205852.jpg (2240x2210, 1.13M)

I’m not smart enough to be SURE you could do all this purely mathematically, but I am fairly certain some creative input is required. Even the assignment of symbol to idea isn’t purely mathematical.
Also your art is better than it had been, have you been working on it a lot lately?

>creative input
Hmmm...strange how twotter artists can make guesses on their own... or the likes of existing writers. Havinf their own independent market knowledge of sorts, one that dont make the publishers and editors worry(as much) i guess.
>my stuff
Well yer justsaying it.
But im just repeating the same old routine
Thus anything you see is completely coincidental and conpletely unintentional rather than actual structured technically harnessed effort. Also not sure of its value being "better" either since we re talking about how to use ruler to measure how many people will jerk to it... of sorts.

Well that should be all right? Just do it in general. No way to Plan at all given how complex the data can get or just how trou blesome it is to be specific....still a disappointing answer since i was hoping this is an important fundamental to go through first before anything else....

I feel like you’re being way more negative about this than you should be, I did outline a writing and composition technique for putting appealing images on paper. The data’s out there, you have access to the same stuff we do, you know superheroes and school manga and true crime and all this is in vogue, you can measure it on a ruler with a sales graph if you’d like, you can feel out what people like based on your life experiences and just knowing what’s going on in the world, or you can just Google what the top media franchises are now. You can definitely track dates and fatigue and popularity of certain elements, actors and ideas, but I’m not sure you can create a math equation that says the most successful picture you could draw is a cowboy in repose or something. Even at the top at Disney and such they use creatives, some creative element is necessary

Yeah yeah it seems too open of a guess still that some actual, grueling thinking, maybe not formulas. Nor operations. Just a table of guides but...idk

I guess this would be it

Thank you for your time

Nobody else has anything to say about this?

The best way to know for sure than an art job or project is certainly worth some amount of money, is to find an employer who agrees to pay that much money for the job, and then to get the job. The employer has already found the market value of that job/project and if they are wrong they still foot the bill