How is the reboot going to reconcile the fact that their relationship was pretty toxic and codependent?

How is the reboot going to reconcile the fact that their relationship was pretty toxic and codependent?

Attached: 052F0DC6-9D69-42C2-94A0-59ED8B8A50F3.png (654x649, 647.66K)

I thought that was the point.

What’s to “reconcile” here?

They'll find some way to blame it on men

How Daria is a bit of a narcissistic, manipulative sociopath who guilt trips Jane for not spending enough time with her. Despite this, their friendship is one of the main features of the show. However, zoomers and millennials (who will be part a big part of the audience, if not the main target demographic) are really into the whole “cutting toxic people out of your life” pop-psychology pap. So, one of the main conceits of the show is basically ruined for the modern audience that MTV will undoubtedly try to market it to.
So: do they just ignore this part of their dynamic? Do they make it part of the plot where they grow past it and give Daria character development relating to it? Do they acknowledge that Daria is a horrible friend and make it part of the humor?

They should kill Jane and make the rest of the series about Daria coping with loss.
I think Daria (the show) would benefit a lot from real tragedy befalling Daria (The character)

>bit of a narcissistic, manipulative sociopath
so an average teenage girl

by making them lesbians

You joke, but I’ve been waiting 20 years for this to happen.

whats the plan for the show anyway? is it a reboot or a continuation?

Aren’t those basically the same thing?

Does the world need continuation of Daria? We already have Diane Nguen and she's not that great either.

Yes.

Attached: 851057E3-3E9D-4D39-AFC5-3C57F9E833D4.png (752x1063, 603.55K)

If you want to make the argument that Daria is too controlling/“manipulative”, don’t you also have to acknowledge the fact that if that’s the case, Jane kind of plays into it or at least doesn’t really mind that much? It doesn’t seem to make her unhappy in the show and it’s not like she’s trapped or can’t make other friends. She doesn’t /need/ Daria. Her sticking around is totally of her own volition.

>So: do they just ignore this part of their dynamic? Do they make it part of the plot where they grow past it and give Daria character development relating to it? Do they acknowledge that Daria is a horrible friend and make it part of the humor?
Wasn't that literally the entire last season of the show?

Attached: Daria gay.jpg (600x338, 80.81K)

Daria get iPad

I’m not talking about Daria dating Tom, I’m talking about how controlling she is in general, which is never really recognized by the show or the characters within it.

>coloring Daria’s glasses white
it just feels wrong

Jane was barely a character in the last season.

Stop projecting your TRAUMAS in cartoons. Deal with them like the rest of THE NORMAL PEOPLE, IN SILENCE.

Don't all good characters have flaws that give rise to conflicts, choices and resolutions?
Didn't Daria feature episodes where her flaws, both personal and ideological, were exposed and examined?
If Euphoria is any indication, expect even more toxic behavior

i really hate how people like you just have to play up mental illness constantly. according to people like you there is no normal human behavior unless it's perfect, angelic, and ideal, and so you need to consult your tumblr guidebook to mental illness identities vol. 3 to try explain perfectly normal behavior of kids and teenagers who are still learning how to be functioning adults, as if people just being people is an alien concept to you.

The thing is, Daria already has flaws that work and create natural conflicts within the show - mainly her bluntness and her inability or refusal to “play the game” socially, so to speak.
Her toxicity in her relationship with Jane doesn’t naturally blend with her other character flaws and honestly seems entirely unintentional, nor is it ever broached on the show. The only time it ever comes close to that is in the track team episode, where it seems like for half a second the show might actually make the point that Daria being a controlling bitch who likes to ruin opportunities for her friend is, in fact, a bad thing, until it then proves that Daria is in the right and everyone on the track team were jerks anyway and that Jane should loyally return to her queen like an obedient puppy.
Plus, people really only like “character flaws” that still allow the character to be easily projected onto for audience wish fulfillment - like how Daria is portrayed as “too smart for her own good”. The manipulative side of Daria is incredibly hard to romanticize.

>Literally just wondering about how something that is really frowned upon now would get portrayed in a reboot
>Complains about “pop-psychology pap” (what you’re also complaining about) in the post
I think you might be a little retarded, user.

That's a consistent problem of any show with status quo. Characters resist change in a way that eventually seems unnatural and abusive.