Bending

How about a thread discussing the elements and how they're used in ATLA/LoK?
I feel like Waterbending is severely under powered.

Attached: 0ee05419004f507b58f146a25ad65fc2.jpg (819x976, 119.4K)

I want Azula to use my face as a throne!

why are water benders so cute

Waterbending has more subspecialties than Air or Fire

Plantbending, Healing, Bloodbending, Spiritbending/purification

I surprised that the bending characters don't know more martial arts seeing as bending is based on that

ice?

>earth benders
>always throw rocks in line of sight that the enemy dodges
the show itself has shown attacks like simply moving tiny rocks to trip people from angles they cant see or simply swallowing the enemy up into the ground

which would end any fight within seconds but is only ever done when they arent fighting people important
they could have beat azula easily by simply restraining her foot the moment she touches the ground, or anyone else for that matter

fire is way more limited in uses.
water is limited by supply of the element but very versatile.

i noticed that too.

in my ttrpg based on the QIN: the warring state system, i use regional styles. Stays the same in essence but varies in fluff.

ex: firebenders from the fire nation do northern shaolin style firebending but the sun warrior firebenders do panther style.

Ice and Vapor are just alternate states of water. Every (decent) waterbender uses them interchangeably

Waterbending is severely underpowered because water is limited on land.
That's why the writers conveniently put some lakes/rivers anywhere Katara is in action. Also the waterfall on Tarrlok's office.
On the other hand, that would make waterbending OP on seas. Now you wonder why the Northern Tribe cowered behind their walls instead of challenging the Fire Nation on open seas.
Bloodbending is not an argument. Specific bending techniques that can only be done by 0.0001% of the population should not be taken into account.

Attached: tumblr_inline_o7sqxpnrzG1svcr8i_1280.jpg (960x720, 56.5K)

A Nuclear Bomb

Could the Avatar stop or bend the shit out of it

Plus even in warmer waters it seems a waterbender can still freeze that shit.
Also Katara carried water around, and iirc there was a waterbender in LoK s1 who carried like six little things containing water like some pirate holding 6 flintlock pistols

I don't know if I'd say waterbending is overpowered, but it certainly isn't underpowered. Unless you're in a desert, there really is water, like, everywhere. Katara was able to bend her own sweat, and Hama could pull water out of plants or the moisture in the air, which when you really think about it, is clever but shouldn't really be difficult to do. Your argument against bloodbending doesn't really hold *snort* water *snort*. In fact, it was cleverly foreshadowed the moment it was revealed that waterbending could be used for healing.

Water pouch in the show is too small to be usable.
Realistically there is no way a water this size can even dodge the slightest of firebending jabs. The amount of water coming out of these was exaggerated in the show.

Whenever I talk about the bending elements I always throw out specific sub-bending for a reason: they make comparison tedious and imbalanced. How are you supposed to win against lightning and lava? The four elements are already imbalanced using real-life physics, no need to add another complication.
Besides, they are only practiced by a minority of benders. I won't think of them as representative of the element. Average person and even masters should not be expected to wield them.

>Hama could pull water out of plants or the moisture in the air,
Gee, I guess that's enough to stop incoming boulders from earthbenders. Even airbenders can blast them with ease.

Attached: images.jpg (200x150, 5.4K)

realistically people cannot manipulate the elements like they can in Avatar so take your muh realistically and shove it lmao

Forget to post the pic. Here is the size of the pouch btw.
You are dodging the question. How about you get out of the thread since you don't want to discuss with logic?

Attached: index.jpg (259x194, 10.53K)

take your meds

Your reasons for disregarding specific bending techniques amounts to the fact that you find them tedious and inconvenient. I'm sorry man, but that is not an argument. You also seem hung up on the idea that balance is necessary. I'll grant that there are some hints to that in the show, but there are also plenty of indications that the fundamental bending arts themselves are not balanced. They all have their pros and cons, but when you talk about balance, you seem to be thinking only of balance in combat. It's way more complicated than that. Waterbending and earthbending both have a huge degree of non-combat utility, while airbending seems largely useless. Earthbenders also represent easily the largest population in the world, while also having one of the most powerful elements. Even before the air nomad genocide, the number of earthbenders probably far outstripped airbenders, even though every air nomad was also an airbender.

tl;dr your arguments are weak and poorly conceived.

>You also seem hung up on the idea that balance is necessary
Isn't it the main gimmick of the show? That everything is there in balance?
I'm not saying the four elements is balanced. They are not, but the writers tried hard to sell us that idea.
I would instead throw the accusation that you'd rather prefer the show acknowledge that the four elements aren't balanced (at least in combat). This was not the writer's ideal.

>you seem to be thinking only of balance in combat
And why not? Can't we be specific on comparing things? Why is it wrong to value something only for particular purpose?
Even if waterbending is underpowered for combat, does not mean I refuse to acknowledge its non-combat usefulness.

>Your reasons for disregarding specific bending techniques amounts to the fact that you find them tedious and inconvenient.
I would add that if we immediately add specific techniques, bloodbending would win since you can control others with that technique. Why would even consider waterbending at all when you can just bloodbend everything on your path?
No point in examining the moves, the agility, the effectiveness and lethality of the elements, sincle bloodbending is clearly superior that all. Is that the discussion that you want?

I would argue that one of the main themes of the show is that balance is desirable but desperately difficult to maintain. Everything is not in balance and that is the problem.

I'm happy to discuss combat specifically, but I'm naturally a big picture guy. Of course, another big consideration is instinct and ingenuity on the part of the bender.