This is what really bothers Matt Braly about all this hbo/netflix treatment of animation

This is what really bothers Matt Braly about all this hbo/netflix treatment of animation

Attached: radrapper.png (1278x1159, 277.15K)

Attached: radropa.png (1295x2520, 1.46M)

Based matt

Why bother posting on twitter, which is for short form communication, when you're going to make 10+ posts just to get your point across? May as well up the character limit at this point.
whatever happened to blogs

A correct take from based creator of funny frogs. Think about how much merch was shilled for old cartoons back in the day - hell cartoons were made to move toys. Animated characters shilled products, sold books, games, and were otherwise utilized as a full franchise. The demand is there, just look at what fans create and sell to other fans at cons/etsy. Suits have forgotten fans like physical products.

So why didn’t he promote any of the Disney cartoons in recent years that got fucked over?
He doesn’t care, he only cares when his buddies like Owen are now part of it

>great content
lol
Maybe if the content were actually popular, merch companies would actually be willing to help monetize it.
I don't see actual successful shows like Miraculous Ladybug struggling to make money.

Attached: 1587341500938.jpg (809x600, 80.22K)

Which ones specifically? WOY/Randy Cunningham/Penn Zero were canned before he got his own show and Pickle and Peanut was ended on the creators' own terms.
>Miraculous Ladybug
I don't care about Amphibia but don't speak about quality if you're praising this show.

>great content

He's absolutely right. Modest successes are no longer allowed to exist. Patience because you believe something has potential isn't allowed either. It MUST be an instant hit, or else it's gone, period.
Nick has demonstrated this behavior for at least a decade trying to find the next Spongebob and its only worked once with The Loud House. Now this business model is spreading. In the 90s plenty of cartoons that weren't super popular but still did decent stuck around for a couple of years. Not anymore.

I more or less agree. I really don't get why Disney et al. just refuse to come out with action figures, stuffed toys, T-shirts, games, etc. for their TV cartoons. Do they not think they'll sell or are they just too cheap to even think of putting more than the minimum investment in their cartoons? It's such a change from the way it used to be like with TMNT and such.

Because twitter is a social media with a lot of traffic, limit of words be damned

>femboys on expandex, stupid romance and unfunny puns non stop
I'm writing that down, any more tips?

Attached: 1234.png (314x383, 234.63K)

Huge asses

>The demand is there, just look at what fans create and sell to other fans at cons/etsy.

This is an excellent point. I was going to bring up the comparison to how much fucking merch anime shows have, you can drown in Evangelion merch and they would never find your body. But the Artist Alley crowd making stuff for shows because the company that owns it is too cheap to do so says a lot. I can't tell you how much Steven Universe homemade merch I saw at those things. Where were the official products?

Penn Zero got to writte it's own ending agree on WOY and Randy however he didn't give two shits when Billy Dilley a show where he worked got fucked.

>The reason our show failed was because we didn't have games, books, and toys to make it profitable.
A decent game takes just as long as a single season of a TV show to make. If you were to make a game for a brand new property, you're asking the studio to also invest more money for a gamble because they don't know if the IP is even going to take off.

Comic books and Art Of books are a cherry-on-top profit, they are not big enough breadwinners to factor in.

Kids also don't toys as much as they did in the He-Man days. Not to say kids NEVER play with toys, but it's become so unreliable unless your product is already a massive hit OR marketed to pre-schoolers, who DO play with tons and tons of toys.

If you were an executive and you were in charge of trying to merchandise Amphibia to a group of 7 - 11 year olds, your demographic, how would YOU do it? In 2022 (Or I guess 2019 when the show came out, right?), the solution is not as easy. If it was, some business major much smarter than me would've figured it out.

The only thing I can possibly imagine would be more large animation studios partnering up with small indie video game studios to make smaller games. This might make some Any Forums people's eye rolls, but procedurally generated dungeon crawlers are big right now. If an Amphibia game came out that played similarly to Cult of the Lamb, where you go through dungeons and come back and take care of a farm of frogs, would you buy it? Would it sell well? Would it be enough to prove that Amphibia is profitable?

>I don't see actual successful shows like Miraculous Ladybug struggling to make money.
Miraculous is a brand first, a cartoon second. They made toys and clothes with it day fucking one. I'm just surprised it didn't get a video game already, French teams like Ubisoft or Microids love their licensed shovelware

The job of managerial isn't just to monetize, but to choose the likeliest winners in the first place. Good publishers are selective about what they print. Good networks should be selective of who they throw their money at, and diligently follow progress to make sure the quality is up to snuff.
I'll agree with Braly if he agrees that animators need to put up with greater scrutiny. If he truly believes what he's saying, then he needs to concede that decisions to cancel things for quality (like Batgirl) are legitimate, even if he does not agree with the assessment.

>Billy Dilley
>Big Hero 6
>101 Dalmatian Street
>Legend of the Three Caballeros
>Number of TVA projects that never released or got pulled before they could finish them for airing
>Afaik he’s never mentioned anything about Nickelodeon toons which are canned off immediately if they don’t get SpongeBob level of success
>Guarantee you he’ll mention nothing about Molly Mcgee getting Owl House’d
He should call out them pulling this shit, he isn’t wrong. Im happy he did so. I’m just saying he’s doing so because he’s personal friends with Owen who is one of the creators who show is part of this mess so that’s what gets him to discuss it, same with Dana and Owl House

>I really don't get why Disney et al. just refuse to come out with action figures, stuffed toys, T-shirts, games, etc. for their TV cartoons.
Does Disney produce their own merchandise?

Attached: 12345.png (640x493, 263.5K)

His point is that managers aren't even being selective at all. They are just saying the classic "if it can't beat Spongebob, why should we fucking bother?"