Pick up old comic

>pick up old comic
>story is fully conveyed through text, fully understandable without pictures
>you can also get the gist of the story with the pictures alone and no reading
Why don't they do it like this anymore?

Attached: images (27).jpg (600x507, 68K)

It's almost like the pictures and the text are supposed to compliment each other.

Because writers are hacks and don't know how. Artists don't have any say, you're going to copy paste that panel 8 times with my word vomit, and that's the page.

That's bad.

>zoom zoom zoom
Please learn what you're talking about, before posting. You've never read a comic that does this.

i think old comics being so wordy is a flaw, it's like they didn't understand the medium yet

I read more than you.

Pretty much every comic DC and Marvel publish nowadays can be read without looking at the pics though. And with how bad the compositiion usually is looking at the art can sometimes even be detrimental to the understansing of the narrative.
Sequential narrative is a lost art nowadays, and that's awful.

Golden and Silver age comics were too compressed, but varied and exciting.
Modern comics are too decompressed and watered down for corporate palates.
Bronze age comics were the perfect balance between the two. Fight me.

Attached: bronze.png (1400x700, 1.97M)

ITT:

Dumbasses talking out of their asses who never read the very old comics.

Reason the wording flows great and creates imagery in your head is because people in the old days had higher IQs and spoke more intellegently. Thus the way they speak communicates ideas better and flows with the pictures along with their syntax. They where not wordy; for the zoomers or ignoramuses. Around the 80s comics did become wordy because they were using more words to convey the same thing. In some cases its good for a long story, and even then I'd take an old wordy comic over a decompressed 10IQ modern comic with shit art.

Yet, it's all trash, because you've never read a comic that does it.
You're probably right, but I'm still a sucker for a good splash page. Though, there are few as good as J.H. Williams III.

a lot of old comic art wasn't necessarily good but neither was the writing so not so relatively simple art could easily convey the even simpler story
superman says he throws someone and the artist draws him throwing something, great storytelling
What comics lacked was trying to convey mood. Eventually, artists in comics got better to be able to convey that, and writers got more interested in portraying that. The major problem lay in trying to get these two people in on the same page

Will Eisner in his comic-making books says ideally the comic artist would be both the artist and writer to make stories that could convey the mood and idea gracefully. Sadly that's not really seen in American comics but i think writer-artist teams who've stayed together long enough are able to reach this

also on a side note, Stan Lee infamously gave his artists a basic idea, they draw out the story, and he just put in the bubbles of what he sees.

Bronze still had a lot of compression at points. Reading 90s Superman has you swimming in overlapping arcs.
Perry's cancer is just going through a bunch of arcs, including Blue Superman.
I'd say that Bronze will usually have the best balance though.

>even then I'd take an old wordy comic over a decompressed 10IQ modern comic with shit art.
Amen to that.

>and even then I'd take an old wordy comic over a decompressed 10IQ modern comic with shit art.

I've been starting to feel that way the past few years.

>Dumbasses talking out of their asses who never read the very old comics.
Go read the start of F4 or Avengers. There's 2 stories. The pictures and the words.

>story is fully conveyed through text, fully understandable without pictures
But that's terrible.
At that point you're better off reading a normal book instead.

Attached: FU75RICXsAMDrbT.jpg (1080x1520, 436.45K)

Bendis prays to this one page each night.

Attached: ZQ50noI.gif (480x360, 220.13K)

Because reading xomics like that is a pain.

Caption box: Batman is jumping through a window.
Panel: Batman is swinging through a window.
Speech bubble: Batman: "i am going through this window".

The difference is at least on that page you have a story, while Benis just barfs inane shit all over his pages.

what the fuck is this page

That's not what we're talking about.
Hyperbole. But it's too much, so no one takes it seriously as a reply.

>Dumbasses talking out of their asses who never read the very old comics.
Ironic, given that your argument is on that basis that these writers and artists had a higher IQ and as time progressed the reason for this death of artistic preference is due to the gradual decline of IQ and not just artistic choices.

For example look at user's () picrel. While I've never read Green Lantern/Green Arrow series, I've had read UXM and TAS (at the very least somewhere after these issues). Look at TAS, initially the story was nowhere near the quality in art or writing during Lee/Romita's run. Even during Ditko's stint there's a gradual improvement in the storytelling and art, with If This Be My Destiny being the peak of that run. Stan Lee is one wordy guy, especially in some panels or stories, he comes across as self indulgent. That's Stan's ARTISTIC PREFERENCE to be wordy and quippy but it wasn't always the greatest fit at times, and as the series moves on we see him be more direct (with having using his wordiness at specific moments/times).

All in, what I'm saying is in TL;DR:
A) This is more an artistic style or choice that plagues comics
B) The guys in the 60s and 70s probably weren't the smarter than your avg. joe but simply specialized in something and became good enough

This reminds me of how when you read a normal book you create these images in what you imagine is happening. At this point, these pictures are just doing that and taking the load off of the readers.

I wonder if there's a book(s) that goes through the evolution of comics and its history.

>A FIRST-TIME COLLECTION OF THE BEST ROMANCE COMICS OF THE 1950S. Four genres dominated American comic books in the 1940s and '50s: superheroes, funny animals, horror, and... romance. This revisionist collection of romance comics stories from the '50s challenges the cliche of the "tear-stained face" that later dominated the genre and became widely known and vilified as a tiresome icon of moral uplift.

Attached: 71FyoIhmEjL.jpg (800x1110, 192.15K)