What’s the appeal of Superman?

What’s the appeal of Superman?

Attached: EverlastingUltimateAntelope-small.gif (500x375, 849.34K)

Better question, what's your appeal?

he's the moral benchmark of the DC universe, as such how other characters contrast with him, or react to him is an interesting way to develop them further

muscluar

His appeal is to drunken 18th-century terrorists and their ideological offspring, still under the delusion that a living God could or even should respect their pathetic freedoms.

>t. britbong

I wish. Specifically, pre-Magna Carta British Isles.

A pillar of justice and an ideological representation of the moral good

literal power fantasy

He represents an optimistic man of tomorrow that we should strive to act as.

He’s Super, man.

Attached: B05FB99C-E3B8-4D13-891B-E71DA9BB1172.jpg (498x376, 50.96K)

Attached: 46t.jpg (234x293, 21.51K)

Not much of a "power fantasy" if your strung-out hippie writers keep making you fall short of your true Godlike potential.

>ideological representation of the moral good
Ideological, yes. The rest, I dispute.

He's not an utter dick like Bruce. Not a hippy faggot like Ollie. Not a complete jobber like J'onn. He's also all around a great guy.

He's a good man possessed of great power.

A man with unstoppable power who can choose to be anything, chooses to be good. It will always be great, and I'm tired of pretending otherwise

Attached: 1646793335511.jpg (3835x2668, 1.99M)

>chooses to be good
>by refusing to declare himself God

What’s my appeal…
I try to be as kind, courteous, helpful, empathetic and polite towards others as I can. I work hard. I’m a team worker. People tell me im also very patient. I hear others out if they need someone to listen. I can draw too and I’ve been called “creative” but I’m too shy to post my art online since I feel like it’s not adequate yet. there’s so many amazing artists out there it makes me feel like I’m never good enough

Watching a hero go to incredible lengths to care for the weak and downtrodden.

People are always saying that "being good" is boring, which I find ridiculous, because all day, every day people are fighting not over whether they should do the right thing but over what the right thing actually is. Superman exists to stand up for a specific idea of the right thing, to model the philosophy that no matter how much power you have, the principals of kindness, gentleness and honesty are the best way to guide how you use it.

Every work of fiction is designed to make a statement about how the world works. The statement Superman stories make is that taking care of your neighbour is the right way to live. And no matter what dumb arguments you want to have about whether he's still relevant, that idea still inspires people and makes them feel like they can make a difference, too. Especially because outside the costume, Clark Kent is a dweeby pushover just like the nerds who read comics. He's a reminder that the power to make a difference is available to anyone.

This is the exact attitude Superman is designed to counter when Siegel and Schuster created him. Their first idea for a superman character was an all-powerful psychic who took over the world, literally bending it to his will and disrespecting peoples' freedoms. In the late 1930s, there were a lot of Nietzschean concepts of what a superman was. In that context, Siegel and Schuster's creation reads as a clear refutation. I'll show you what a Superman does. He uses his power to defend the little guy, not beat him up.

Hell yeah, brother.

>pic related
Das cute.

>He uses his power to defend the little guy
From what? To Superman, everyone on Earth is the "little guy."

>In that context, Siegel and Schuster's creation reads as a clear refutation
They wanted a product to sell to children, it wasn't a refutation you retarded faggot, superman isnt a role model and you need to grow up, superman appeal is to do things real people can do and live adventures real people can't live, the point is to entertain, not to teach, not to be a foster dad to retards with daddy issues that need to learn morals from children's products.

Inspirational ideal for adults and kids.
Its also worth noting that he was far less overpowered and had to overcome adversity to save those close to him in his earlier inceptions. He only became obnoxiously overpowered later