Are live action remakes of 2D movies a bad idea?

Are live action remakes of 2D movies a bad idea?

Attached: 1661219153425193.png (599x653, 296.24K)

The only merit to the idea is any changes made to the movie could be interesting.

The live action Dumbo movie is not at all like the original animated one, and sadly the live movie just isn't all that good, but it could have been.

The Lion King being a straight recreation of the 2D movie really did it no favors.

Yes, JOHN.

Its not inherently a bad idea, you just need to A) not adapt fucking classics that worked so well BECAUSE of their animation and B) play into the strengths of LIVE ACTION AND C) adapt shit that could use a second try like Treasure Planet, Atlantis, or The Black Cauldron. All three of those films undoubtedly had flaws that could be improved on in another adaption.

I haven't seen one that interested me yet.

I think it's such a bad idea I'm going to take two years to make a video review of the movie that is three times the length of it and repeats the point of it looking bad over and over the whole time.

You should also commission some art of the villain of the story having gay sex with other characters. Then everyone will know how serious you are.

Yes
>Thread/

Yes. Always.

It's not a fucking live action remake.
It's animation, it's CGI animation. Jon Favreau
could have make the animals have a full range of expression and emotion, but them it wouldn't be "realistic" even thought cats are very expressive.
Jon Favreau used this movie to show of Disney's internal engine, that's why it was made.

>We're making a 'live action' Lion King movie, so everything needs to be as realistic as possible!
>Huh? Why would we give the animals facial expressions? That doesn't sound very realistic.
Imagine being a director and thinking that it's a good idea to have none of the characters in your film fucking emote. Did he think the expressions on the characters in the original were entirely made up to be 'cartoony'?

Attached: lion-cub.jpg (1199x850, 189.74K)

I wanna kiss that baby

But user real lions don't emote like cartoons. If you're gonna go all in with realism the expressions gotta go.

Hate to break it to you, but the Lion King remake was 3D animated. Those were not, in fact, real animals.

>Aug 22
>2022
>time: 2:26pm means he started to compose the tweet at 2:22 pm

The power of 22s awakens us all.

Its even worse since fucking Favreau didnt do shit that REAL LIONS DO to express emotion!

Not on paper. In fact it’s actually a genius business move. Not only does it capitalize on nostalgia and give those who feel animation is just for children an alternative to enjoy, it also helps to refresh IPs, particularly those that are public domain. Disney is famous for its adaptations of fairy tales, but they can’t make the stories exclusive to them so instead they just make versions so popular the story becomes synonymous with their brand. By doing a remake they create the illusion of freshness and ensure continued ubiquity.

The problem is their brand power is so strong they can’t bring themselves to actually do anything worthwhile with their remakes. Pic related is a great example. They try to take the two dimensional town bully of the original and give him depth by suggesting he has suppressed ptsd which causes him to overcompensate. This is paired with the new version of Beast who is said to have had an abusive father which the servants turned a blind eye to. The clear theme here is that people are shaped by their environment and that “beasts” are made not born. Unfortunately the film still wants you to side completely with the protagonist and not feel guilty or bad at seeing Gaston die in the end, nor do they want the townsfolk to look bad by saying they encouraged Gaston’s bad behavior. The famous music number in the tavern where everyone kisses his ass is reframed to seem like LeFou is blowing smoke up his ass and no one really gives a shit, which totally goes against the climax where Gaston is able to rally a mob because he implicitly has the town’s favor. In short Disney feigns a desire to “update” their classics and make them more mature, but they’re so afraid of complicated themes they wind up making something entirely without edge.

Attached: E53C1CF6-FBC1-4E11-9047-F0DA25D567F5.jpg (1280x720, 83.43K)

While I don't agree on all of your choices for movies that could use a remake I otherwise agree with your points.

They are if you adapt movies that are considered the best animated films of all time, since the remake can only be worse.

I heard that even the sets were CG, too.

I liked Jungle Book

Lion King was made with Unity so it's bad by default