How did shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe get so popular with millennials?

How did shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe get so popular with millennials?
I feel like these shows became way more popular among teens and college kids than they ever were with kids. Does it have something to do with the fact that they tell coming-of-age stories about adolescence and growing up?

Attached: ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvdHZzZXJpZXMvUlRUVjIwNDEwMy53ZWJw.jpg (1364x2046, 582.43K)

How old are you? If you don't know that there a good chance you are underage.

millennials have arrested development

29. I was in high school around the time AT was popular and I remember a lot of my peers being really into it. I thought it was decent but I didn't really see the appeal until I gave it a proper watch about a year ago.

Because the previous CN shows had no adult appeal whatsoever (Camp Lazlo, Gym Partner's a Monkey, Squirrel Boy, Chowder etc..). Adventure Time was much more mature.

Billy and Mandy and Teen Titans were meant for older kids. Arguably Courage too.

I'm pretty sure kids loved Adventure Time

Not even trying to start shit, but would SU actually be relevant at all if it didn't have a focus on pandering to homosexuals and "alternative lifestyle"-types?

>Billy and Mandy and Teen Titans were meant for older kids. Arguably Courage too.
Fake, both are meant for kids.
AT is literally for college stoners.

>Not even trying to start shit
Good, don't.

Attached: artworks-000091628842-tha5x6-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 31.87K)

Yeah, but B&M and TT were meant for kids in like fourth grade and up whereas most CN shows were meant for kids as young as kindergarten.

I'm not sure about Steven Universe, but Adventure Time was definitely popular with kids in its heyday

I feel like Steven Universe's popularity came almost entirely from college kids.

I mean maybe, but who do you know? If you're just judging by the presence of fans on Any Forums and tumblr, you're not getting an accurate picture of actual viewership

I remember I was 13 or so when Steven Universe had previews
I still laugh when Steven says “That’s unusual” to his pants. The kids I knew in high school would talk about it. So I guess it’s popular

Attached: 0A12ECAD-AFB2-43AF-A7ED-583DAA5C111F.gif (320x180, 225K)

He's making the onions face, and millennials love making the onions face.

mystery solved

Attached: 1 4JvsE7mJlhUpc0D1hp1qlw.jpg (1280x960, 220.66K)

Unironically stoners for AT. Even guys who normally didn't care about cartoons would watch it

I was 12 when it first came out. For me, it was partially a new show being such a breath of fresh air (I did not give a shit about most of the cartoons on CN at the time and I had a fleeting interest in CN Real like I imagine most kids did) and because up until season 6 or so it was just lots of silly shit. I stuck with SU all the way through, though. A few kids in my high school liked it, we even had a watchgroup together.

Nothing new
College kids watched Ren & Stimpy and Spongebob

I just finished watching the entire AT series for the first time and it was great (except for finns character being butchered like "The Vault" for example). I like how Distant Lands gave the show a proper ending.

>but would SU actually be relevant at all if it didn't have a focus on pandering to homosexuals and "alternative lifestyle"-types?
No because homosexuality is a gimmick like when kids were Goth in middle school because Hot Topic or fidget spinners.