So in the Sandman comics...

So in the Sandman comics, Hell is a dimension where some souls go when they believe themselves deserving of punishment for their sins.
Does that mean that if you eventually feel like you've been punished enough you can get to Heaven? Or that you could do whatever crimes you wanted as long as you truly believed you were in there right?
Why not stick to the christian canon and its objective morality?

Attached: KHRln.jpg (808x438, 104.2K)

> Why not stick to the christian canon and its objective morality?
Which Christian canon? There isn't a single unified Christian idea about what Hell even is.

>such and such random denomination has its own special snowflake beliefs regarding Hell
Okay cool
Why not stick to the generally accept canon by the majority of Christians that Hell is just a place for punishment for bad people? What’s the point of this complicated “it’s all about what you think you’re deserving” garbage?

Most if not all christians believe Hell is a place of punishment for the wicked and those who reject salvation.
Major points of discussion are if Hell eventually leads to complete annihilation or if it's eternal pain, if babies end up in there, etc etc, but the general point can still be put in there

Gaiman.

Isn't Hell basically a pretty standardized concept?

My favorite off-kilter take on Hell is that it’s the exact same place as Heaven. If you’re a holy person ready to meet God, the light of Christ is like paradise divine, but if you’re wicked and unworthy it feels like burning torment

Morality is complicated, and what counts as deserving for one person or within one culture varies significantly with other Christian cultures. Gaiman chose to avoid trying to define a Christian morality that might vary based on centuries, and leaned instead towards a philosophical approach based on guilt -- a concept very familiar to his Catholic background, and inherent to a lot of Christian faiths as it is.

Doesn't DC have multiple heavens and hell like Sandman was canon to DC post-crisis universe but references had to be tone down when it switch to Vertigo to match in line with creator owned books they had.

Checked
I get it, I'm not saying Gaiman's Hell is trash, just that my autism is getting tickled by the idea that I don't think guilt is enough to chain a person to eternal suffering. You GOT to eventually get tired of the pain if it's self imposed

I don't think that addiction works like that.

Yeah, I can agree with that. While I could see an argument where that's the point -- where everyone forgives themselves eventually, and everyone's immortal soul is eventually deserving of peace -- Gaiman seems more oriented towards the idea that forgiving one's self is impossible in many cases, or at least without something significant happening to give you that chance.

As someone who never really liked Sandman all the shit DC posts of the Comic and Show side by side is really making me like the comic more

well also there's this thing about redemption that i think Christians are kind of into

Anyone else think Sandman is kinda overrated in general? It's got some neat ideas and characters but seems really disjointed and edgy just for the sake of being edgy, especially at the start.

Redemption is supposed to happen before death... although a minority of christians believe people in hell will be redeemed but that's borderline heretical

Are they addicted to the pain?

Is Hell a place of active torture for your specific sins, or merely a place of "separation from God" that is exactly what the person chose? There are plenty of Christians who will say one and plenty who will say the other. There are even some who will give one answer at one point and the other at a different point.

Um, mostly incorrect, actually.

Gaiman needed a mechanic to explain why some people go to hell and others go to Valhalla, because every deity, afterlife, and otherworld exists simultaneously in DC.

There are Christians who believe that Hell is a place of active torture for specific sins, ruled over by Satan.
There are Christians who believe that Satan doesn't rule Hell, he's just another prisoner there.
There are Christians who believe that Hell is a place of spiritual separation from God, not active torture.
There are Christians who believe that you don't go to Hell for sinning, that only belief in Christ as Lord matters and as long as you believe that Christ is your savior you can't go to Hell.
There are Christians who believe that Hell isn't a permanent state because your soul is just destroyed completely, not tortured for eternity.
There are Christians who believe that Hell isn't a permanent state because you can be redeemed from Hell.
There are Christians who don't even believe in Hell at all.

It's like what he did in American Gods. "That's alotta Jesus."

Aren't those all basically the same thing?

Wrong wrong wrong. Most of those things aren't things that any christian believes. The only things there that are canon are
> Hell is a place of spiritual separation from God
> only belief in Christ as Lord matters and as long as you believe that Christ is your savior you can't go to Hell

Everything else isn't canon and if you believe them you are not a christian.

>There are Christians who believe that Hell isn't a permanent state because you can be redeemed from Hell.

That's a new one for me.