The Golden Age

Why did superheroes fade for a while in the late 40s?
It led to many heroes being lost to the sands of time.

Attached: Black Terror.jpg (1200x1821, 249.88K)

Possibly due to how so many of them were created as WWII propaganda characters, or got repurposed that that. Once the war was over, audiences moved on to something else, and only the characters who pre-dated the war really kept going. Between the war and DC's successful 50s relaunches of superhero books, there were the 'good girl' heroine books like Phantom Lady, but the CCA killed those.

>CCA
The what?
I assume its some form of retarded censorship horse shit.
Are there any Korean War propaganda characters? That war seems to just be forgotten.

>The what?
>I assume its some form of retarded censorship horse shit.
The Comics Code Authority. An industry self-regulating/self-censoring body that was set up so that there wouldn't be a government body regulating the content of comics. The CCA rules in the 50s when it was first set up were so strict they made the most popular genres of the time, crime and horror comics, basically impossible, and is seen as a deliberate move by other companies to put the industry leader of the time, EC Comics out of business, as their biggest sellers were crime and horror books. The Good Girl books were another victim of the same era's censorship.

Westerns, romance, and Loony Tunes-style talking animal comedy books were all popular genres in the late 40s through 50s, while science fiction and giant monster comics were also a thing for a while before superheroes got popular again.

>Are there any Korean War propaganda characters? That war seems to just be forgotten.
Not that I'm aware of. 1950s Marvel tried to relaunch Captain America, Human Torch and Submariner as anti-communist superheroes, but the books didn't last long, and they weren't specifically about the Korean War.

The only comic acknowledgment of the Korean War I can think of is it used to be part of the origins of Professor X and the Juggernaut that they'd fought in it.

Thanks user.
Censorship is retarded, always has been.
I always bring this up because its hilarious. In the tv show Sons of Anarchy, Jax can gun down a dozen guys brutally. His mother can get gang raped on screen.
Yet nobody in that show could drop an F bomb.

You have to remember that actual superheroes started with Superman in 1938, and Superman was almost a strawman straight of the Depression era. He went around beating up (rich) corrupt politicians and (rich) gangsters, people kids would've either seen or heard about locally. The late 40s were less (obviously) corrupt and more prosperous, which may be why genres dealing with hidden corruption (horror, crime, some romance), and the dangerous past (westerns) were ascendant.

Did Superman ever punch out that bitter cripple cousin fucker commie FDR?

>Why did superheroes fade for a while in the late 40s?
Gee I wonder what was going on around then that would have kids and media distracted?

Attached: 6DEM7BBY3EI6HCS5AHGIWS4LLY.jpg (1280x801, 82.91K)

>late 40s
>Hitler lost near mid 40s
Little did they know we had allied with an even greater monster.

Attached: MissAmerica.jpg (666x1189, 147.5K)

There were people deliberately trying to stir up a scandal about the effect comic books were having on the youth of America, so a self-regulating body was seen as the lesser evil to being regulated by the state, but it did restrict what could be done in comics for decades if you wanted to actually sell them anywhere.

Despite what some people here keep claiming, the CCA is not directly responsible for the Silver Age superhero boom, it didn't ban every other type of comic. For close to ten years after the CCA started there were a number of successful genres, it's in the 60s that superhero books lifted Marvel into becoming a bigger company than they'd previously been, and DC focused on superheroes as that's where they were having success, those two publishers ended up dominating the whole industry.

He looks so happy.
If only he knew how bad things really are.

>There were people deliberately trying to stir up a scandal about the effect comic books were having on the youth of America
Same shit. Forever and ever and ever.
Violent vidya games causes school shootings!
Rock and Roll/Metal music makes the kids worship DA DEVIL!
The rhetoric never dies.

Truth. Your modern social media SJW would have been part of the Religious Right back in the day, despite not being particularly religious nor particularly right wing, because it's not really about either of those things, it's about control, about banning things other people enjoy, and policing how people behave.

Finally.. finally I have found someone who can agree with me on that.

the religious right is still around though?

Yes and they're trying to make a comeback.
No different then some social media SJW, just from the 'other side of the isle'.
Hell in my experience some of them BECAME social media SJWs.

Thanks, I always thought this was pretty obvious though.

They technically still exist, but they haven't had any successes since the 90s, it's all been downhill for them since they failed to ban Harry Potter. is right that nobody is really joining groups like that when they can become a social media SJW and actually get results. You're only going to join the Religious Right today if you're genuinely, sincerely religious and right wing. The people who just want to control others aren't going to be joining them.

>Thanks, I always thought this was pretty obvious though
Not on this website

Nah user you see some people on here like to pretend they are better than social media SJWs when in reality if they had their way they'd be doing very similar things just from another angle.

Attached: goldenage.jpg (960x553, 132.9K)

After the success of Action Comics #1, alot of publishers wanted that superhero pies and thus the creation of many superheroes of where it become oversaturated. After WW2 people move on to reading non-cape comic books like western, romance, cartoon animals and horror. When Comic Code made it debut, a lot of publishers couldn't adapted the censorship and when out of business or bought out by DC like Fawcett and Quality Comics.

I wonder if western themed superheroes did well during that time then.