What made Shrek so successful?

What made Shrek so successful?

Attached: 1660025159095588.gif (60x60, 2.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/610740411723546635/660181533516365844/shrek.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Poking fun at Disney musicals when Disney musicals were at their height and having the privilege of being the first major production to really pull it off, being a 3D movie at a time where 3D animation was still a really big deal, and having a tight script.

Also OP your image is making me wonder if you could turn that into a webm and sync it up with compressed-enough audio to actually have the entirety of shrek that you could post in a single image.

Multigenerational appeal.

Also, it was a pretty strong fairytale in its own right. Shrek may have been 'subversive' but the story and the arcs are very classical and heroic

Attached: 1574745390629.png (700x963, 1.34M)

People were posting the entire Emoji Movie compressed on Discord a few years ago

Someone did that with AV1 and Opus. It's 8MB.

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/610740411723546635/660181533516365844/shrek.webm

Deconstruction of disney films. becoming a meme after that greetext become famous and ruined the legacy of the movie. I blame reddit.

It's a genuinely great movie that anyone can enjoy. And it was completely different from other movies aimed at families. So everyone set out to copy it.

It did something novel in a relatively new medium with good execution then continued to improve with the sequel. Just imagine, if Shrek the Third didn’t shit the bed so thoroughly it might have been even bigger of a thing.

Desu I really don't get how people prefer 2 to the original. It's good but I think it's a bit of a step down, relies a bit too much on pop culture IMO.

How the fuck did you fit the ENTIRE MOVIE in that gif???

Imagine if Shrek was lost media and this gif was the only proof it ever existed.

thanks for uploading the Video Now™ file, mine broke yesterday

Sure, it’s more pop culture heavy but it also had better antagonists that acted as a better foil to Shrek thematically and the jokes were generally more funny. The KNIGHTS scene for instance has so many joke layers that it only gets funnier when you get older and actually understand the references like the “White Bronco” thing.

>cartoon mike myers swearing so funneh

Is that the entire fucking movie embedded as a gif

Its not the full movie...

When's the cut off

Around the end of the "All Star" intro (2000 frames).

I've seen quite a few movies on Discord that way. I use to have all 3 Shrek movies, Emoji movie, Spongebob movie, and bunch of random episodes of TV shows compressed down to less than 1 mb. The shows that is, movies were a few mbs each.

It's one of the best animated films ever. Period

>better antagonists
Fairy Godmother and Charming sucked

20% Product of its time
20% Memes
10% Great Cast
40% Good story at its core
5% Not another Disney movie (IMO)
5% Great song selection

>had better antagonists that acted as a better foil to Shrek thematically
Hard disagree, Farquaad was an absolutely perfect foil for someone like Shrek.

The second movie has a nonsensical story and stupid comedy. It also looks ugly as hell