How is this?

How is this?
And more importantly if I know shit about DC outside of the most basic shit like Batman and Superman, is it still good?

Attached: d3543.jpg (681x960, 380.87K)

I just want to know if it's woke shit lke the tv show

obviously it varies from person to person but yeah it's worth a read. keep in mind the first volume is kinda different from the rest, but if you like it you're good to continue

as for dc, well, technically sandman IS part of the dc universe but you don't really need to know much of it, as sandman stands on its own

yes and no. yes because gaiman has always been woke in one way or another, and no because netflix is kinda bollocks on that regard and they push it too far

It's pretty good.
You don't really need to know anything about DC, but it is connected to it, including the House of Mystery/Secrets stuff. It's built up from Moore's Swamp Thing, which I recommend you read as well.
It does have mulitple gays and one tranny, but the Netflix show is more woke.

it's the GOAT. It's woke as fuck too, the show is only maybe 10% gayer.

EXIT LIGHT

Alright forget it then

I loved the horror vibe of the first year, definitely the books peak.

The final year was the weakest but the middle is still damn good stuff as long as you skip the WERE DOING SHAKESPEARE N SHIT issues give us awards crap.

Whatever faggot. If you can't handle what was supposed to be woke in the 80s you should just an hero.

I think it peaked at Brief Lives. The first volume was hit or miss for me.

And yeah the Award bait issues near the end were complete filler n shite.

The Kindly Ones arc deserved better artwork.
I'm not against it, but it dampened the impact of the death of Dream.

It helps if you are familiar with:
- Simon and Kirby's Sandman (the 70s one, for Brute and Glob and Jeb Walker)
- 80s Justice League (for J'onn and Scott Free)
- New Gods (for Scott Free)
- Moore's Swamp Thing (for Matthew)
- Infinity Inc (for Lyta and Hector Hall)
- Golden Age Sandman (for Wesley Dodds)
- 70s DC horror comics (for Destiny, Cain, Abel and Eve)

but you don't have to know them any more than the highbrow lit references. Just good to have in your back pocket.

Yeah it's a fucking shame that art. The only pages where the art works is Dreams Death

If the art was only during Lyta's bit of the story I'd forgive it for being thematic, but its just bad. Did the artist ever draw anything else?

I like Marc Hempel but yeah it's a weird fit for the biggest arc of the book. Michael Zulli should have drawn way more of that fucking comic.

Marc Hempel seem to have sparsely working at comics after the '90s.
I like his B/W's better than the colored finals.
It would've had the same effect if someone fully colored Ted mcKeever's works.

Zulli is a great fit for that type of grandness, but I think the issue would be the constant deadlines. That arc is 12(?) issues long, so to maintain quality would be a big ask.

I get that, but if DC had known it was going to be an uber-perennial they would have given less of a shit about monthly deadlines and given it over to a classical artist like Zulli or Vess or somebody, like they did with Watchmen and Dark Knight (albeit those were only a few weeks of delay).

Yeah, it's great. Back then DC really knocked it out of the park, it's a real shame how far they've fallen.
And let me tell you something; the secret for getting into capeshit (which this isn't technically, although it does feature DC heroes at times) is that you don't really need to know anything before jumping in. The story will go out of its way to explain everything you need to know to follow it.
So yeah, if you know who Lyta Hall or Wesley Dodds are beforehand you'll go "hey, that's neat they're here" but if you don't you'll understand their roles in this particular story just fine.

Bryan Talbot + those guys would have been a great rotating art team. Am I alone in thinking Jill Thompson's art sucks?

Also, I'm not watching the show, any chance they are keeping Lyta and Hector Hall as Wonder Woman and Hawkman's kids?

>Marc Hempel
I'm guessing anybody who drew a good-sized chunk of Sandman doesn't really *have* to work if they don't want to

>Am I alone in thinking Jill Thompson's art sucks?
I loved it. I've seen Any Forums mentioning its not that good a bit though so I might be alone.

Can't say, really. It is one of the defining Vertigo comics in hindsight, but whatever imprint editorial thought vastly differed from main DC. DK and WM wasn't created out of a vacuum either, as the talents behind them had names and years to them.

Jill Thompson's work fit Scary Godmother for the whimsy it displays, and the Beasts of Burden artwork is good, especially the watercolor tones.

Can't dispute that. Case in point: Dave McKean.