Remember that part in the Archie comics where Charmy's best friend died of a drug overdose, hsi kingdom got genocided...

Remember that part in the Archie comics where Charmy's best friend died of a drug overdose, hsi kingdom got genocided, he got brain damage that mentally regressed his mind, and his GF got sent to another dimension to never see him again and then erased from existence?

Attached: 1465336336867.jpg (1481x801, 870.94K)

No

Knuckles and the Chaotix suffered more than any other character.

Yup.
Sucks because they're my favourites. Knuckles in his earliest Archie appearances was fun, but I had no idea the DEEP LORE stuff kicked in so soon.

I try not to.

Archie never should have been allowed to go past issue 50, considering Sonic Adventure happened we'd all have been better off.

Charmy sounds like a shit ruler.

Archie Sonic before it got all heavy was kind of fun. But I still never liked them pushing that Tails was "too young" to do anything, even when he proved them wrong. That was obnoxious.

They did the brain damage thing because he was originally 16 and smarter, but changed to age 6 in Sonic Heroes onward. It's pretty messed up.

I miss when Knuckles was allowed to do stuff and not be a big retard. Then again Sega has neglected the vast majority of their characters.

I don't hate Shadow, but Knuckles' importance and characterization really took a nosedive when he was introduced.

>I miss when Knuckles was allowed to do stuff and not be a big retard.
Sonic Movie 2

His popularity shot up so fast. I'm surprised it took Sega so long to make another edgy character in Infinite.
No thanks to Sega. All they did was collect a check for their characters to be used.

>Archie Sonic before it got all heavy

and when do you consider that to be, because Endgame was pretty heavy.

what could they do? There was no true Sonic Game for the Saturn to tide them over. Sonic 3D Blast was just a portover with cringe loading second only to Sonic 2K6, Sonic Jam was a just Sonic version of SMBAS and Sonic R was seen as an "inferior" version of Mario Kart.

Popularity yeah, but I meant more Knuckles' position as Sonic's rival. And then with Silver it felt to me like they were just trying to outdo themselves in dark backstories. But I like Shadow when he is being a good guy, actually. I find the combination of "yeah all this shit happened but I'm going to do what's right anyway" far more compelling than the EDGEhog everyone knows him as. But back to Knuckles, I miss how cool he got to be. OVA Knuckles will always be special.

To be honest I was intentionally vague, because what I've read of the series is a bit all over the place. Big chunks but also big gaps.

>Archie never should have been allowed to go past issue 50, considering Sonic Adventure happened we'd all have been better off.

You do know there was no IDW in 1999, right? Nor where modern Sonicfags old enough to be part of the comic book industry at the time? And no willing comic pro wanted to step up to write a Sonic book in the 90s.

And as negligent & moronic as SEGA is, they were at least where not dumb enough to cut off a potential revenue stream (especially at the time they where hemorrhaging money), so it's not like you weren't going to have a Sonic comic during the Adventure era.

But if not Archie, then WHERE you fucking Gamecube Baby?

The Big 2 didn't do license books anymore and have their own kiddie lines.

Image was/is still trying to be the "edgy big boi" in comics, so they wouldn't touch a kids book without a big name attached.

Bongo? Did they even publish anything else other Simpsons comics? And considering you're probably a seething Adventurecuck, you would have hated it faster than you can say Baldy McNosehair.

I guess Harvey comics was still around at the time.

Really, your only option would have been Dark Horse, and considering the licenses they where rocking at the time, I don't know if they would have had enough money left over to afford Sonic.

Tell me, where you willing to be all of Sonic's media relevance on the 2000's games and wait 20 years before he was viable for a comic again?

It's hard to be Sonic's rival when you're mandated to stay on an island with no one else. Unless you get a special permission slip from Iizuka to come down and play. Shadow's just as much a wanderer as Sonic so he can appear wherever, whenever, and do whatever he wants.

That's true, good point. OVA Knuckles seemed to wander about just fune though. I know it's not the true version but maybe they didn't have to paint themselves into a corner by making the Guardian thing so serious in Adventure.

>Shadow's just as much a wanderer as Sonic so he can appear wherever, whenever, and do whatever he wants.

And yet, he never really does. He doesn't have much hobbies or motivations outside being an anti-hero.
Shad just stands around...menancingly

I actually believe Knuckles is a better rival because despite his solitary lifestyle, whenever he's with Sonic, he actively tries to compete with him - whether it be over stubborness, ego or just plain competitive fun. That to me means they are always willing to push each other inn whatever they want to do.

Shadow only competes with Sonic whenever Sonic gets in the way or Shadow gets insecure like the beta hedgie he is.

>It's hard to be Sonic's rival when you're mandated to stay on an island with no one else.

Just wanna say that fuck SEGA for taking the effort to make characters that are audience approved, only to stick them in solitary inflexible positions in islands or other dimensions.

I swear, SEGA treats Sonic like fucking Pokemon & not in the best way.

>Image was/is still trying to be the "edgy big boi" in comics, so they wouldn't touch a kids book without a big name attached.
Even though they actually did do a crossover with Sonic so Penders could shill his shitty Lost Ones story.