Be me

>be me
>don't really read comics but for some reason feel like trying
>read preacher (it sucked)
>try to read the boys (it's way worse)
>read all-star superman (it's okay)
>read flashpoint (it sucked)

Are comic books just a meme? I'm trying to give it a chance but it's kinda eh.

Attached: oipgnup0jxg81.jpg (480x480, 28.35K)

What genres of movies or novels do you enjoy? You mostly went for capeshit and Ennis. Those are not for normal humans, only jaded nerds.

>chooses to read the most over rated trash conceived
you should have read invincible aswell if youer just looking for shit comics

Read cerebus the aardvark
Its the only good comic out there.
Author is extremely based

From what I heard it's only good from the High Society arc to the Guys arc, or Reads. Sim just had a breakdown and used Cerebus as a ranting platform.

>You mostly went for capeshit and Ennis.

Is there anything else? Idk, I just tried out stuff people online say is good. I thought it like 90 years of capeshit there are bound to be some cool stories, right (though I guess all stuff I tried is kinda recent)? I think capeshit could be done right, I enjoyed the new batman movie.

>i dont tead things ive heard bad about
>reads anything from garth ennis
Try a walk through hell, it's ennis's 2020unhinged meltdown about trump being in office

>be me
That sounds awful.

>edgy lover complaining comics sucks
are you baiting or something?

In what way am I edgy lover? Out of the 4 comics I listed 2 are edgy and both I didn't like.

>Is there anything else?
Tonnes of stuff. Just name the genre and we can recommend something
If you want older non cape stuff you have the Conan comics by Marvel from the 70s to the 90s.
Then you have modern day indies. They're a bit hit and miss, but when you find a good one they're real good.
I like kung fu movies from the 70s and Orphan & The Five Beasts is just fantastic.

Capeshit? 99% is either crap or really bland at best. Even if a book has some interesting ideas, their execution is usually bad. It can serve as an idea mine, but not much else. Old ones are good to laugh at how ridiculous and campy they were.

Non-capeshit?
Most is bad as well, but the ratio is somewhat better, there are some decent ones if you look around, depends on what genre you're interested in.

I think the biggest problem with comics is that they are extremely dependant on dialogues as as the main way of narration and most people can't write good dialogues for shit, so even if the comic has some cool ideas for its story or worldbuilding, it comes out as stodgy, tacky or cliche.
Also it doesn't help that comics seem to have way more utter edgelords writing them than any other media

I did when it was new. It's extremely disappointing. Even the most edgy Ennis comic had the heroes earn some kind of happy ending, in the Boys especially. Walk Through Hell was nothing but him complaining how the world is super evil, guys.
And I get it, being taught idealism and having it broken sucks, but he made it seem like he took it extremely personally and wanted to spite the world for not doing things how he expected it to.

who would go for preacher as their first comic but edgy lover?

It's not the dialogue it's them making movie storyboards and publishing 20 pages a month. It makes you wait 30 days at least for a short snippet of plot.
Euro albums at least give you a whole story between years of waiting.

Why are you not reading the most mainstream ones like Spider-Man and X-Men first?

Well, my initial impression of comic books was that DC/Marvel is nothing but trash and I've heard about preacher from somewhere and the idea seemed alright (I didn't know anything about Garth Ennis).

Wouldn't mainstream ones be even worse? Also I don't really want to get into gigantic series with a billion issues, I'm looking more for standalone things. I was googling something like "the best superman comic" and people were like "that's totally all-star superman" so I read it. Also Marvel stuff feels played out with their cinematic universe being everywhere.

> be me
> don't really read books but for some reason feel like trying
> read It (it sucked)
> try to read the tommyknockers (it's way worse)
> read The Fellowship of the Ring (it's okay)
> read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (it sucked)
>"books are just a meme"

>Also Marvel stuff feels played out with their cinematic universe being everywhere
child mentality. Comics were never adapted properly

He was right though.
We are passively letting the world get shittier.
Be the bigger man/ turn the other cheek leads us to jan 6 riots and more

It's not getting shittier it's just doing the same thing it always did. It's the hope pillers that think there was ever a time of peaceful enlightenment and beauty just around the corner.
In the grim darkness of the present there are only power grabs.

Even if they weren't, it doesn't mean I can erase my perception of them from my mind. I'm tired of these characters even though I haven't watched any MCU past Far from home and infinity war.

Your opinion on superhero comics is useless if you don't read the main ones, read Spider-Man, X-Men, F4, Batman and Superman first and then you can judge it

Capitalism bad

read dark places by gillian flynn
that surprisingly good